PDA

View Full Version : Newb with some ?`s

PowerHaus930
11-23-2011, 04:30 PM
I am getting ready to detail my car after doing alot of reading and research on this site and I still have a couple questions that I couldn`t find answers to.

1. I have read about people using citrus based cleaners for engine cleaning. I got a bottle of Purple Power Citrus cleaner and figured that would be ok. I looked it up on the MSDS and it has a chemical in it called Butyoxyethelene (I think) and I read that it is harmful on aluminum. I dont want to mess up the aluminum parts in my engine bay so can anyone confirm that ingredient is bad for aluminum and if it is what would you recommend as an APC/degreaser for engines that I could find locally?

2. I plan on using a clay bar, WGDG spritz sealant (got it as a sample from my order at AG), and OCW. How long do I have to wait after applying the sealant before I can apply OCW? I think I read somewhere that I have to wait 12 hours for it to properly bond and if thats the case and I let my car sit overnight would I have to wash it again before using OCW? Also would you recomemnd using a carnauba wax on top of the OCW for a deeper shine?

3. When using the clay bar, OCW, and WGDG spritz sealant do I need to avoid getting it on black trim/rubber seals? If I get some on the trim/rubber seals how can I get it off?

4. I got the MEG`s smooth surface clay kit and I was wondering if I could dilute the QD at all to make it last longer when I clay the car?

5. I have EO A2Z wheel cleaner and my factory wheels have very light curb rash on two wheels that is past the clear coat. Will A2Z get under the clear coat and start ruining the wheel? If so what is a good wheel cleaner that is not corrossive that I could get locally?

I would like to do this right the first time and I don`t want to have any mishaps that could potentially damage my paint/wheels. Thanks in advance

Ben@3D
11-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I am getting ready to detail my car after doing alot of reading and research on this site and I still have a couple questions that I couldn`t find answers to.

1. I have read about people using citrus based cleaners for engine cleaning. I got a bottle of Purple Power Citrus cleaner and figured that would be ok. I looked it up on the MSDS and it has a chemical in it called Butyoxyethelene (I think) and I read that it is harmful on aluminum. I dont want to mess up the aluminum parts in my engine bay so can anyone confirm that ingredient is bad for aluminum and if it is what would you recommend as an APC/degreaser for engines that I could find locally?

Butoxyethanol products can be used to clean metal including engines if diluted, used properly, and neutralized.

You should use products containing butoxyethanol with extreme care. It is a poison that can easily absorb through your skin to harm you. When working with it, always wear gloves and goggles and be sure the you have enough ventilation.

2. I plan on using a clay bar, WGDG spritz sealant (got it as a sample from my order at AG), and OCW. How long do I have to wait after applying the sealant before I can apply OCW? I think I read somewhere that I have to wait 12 hours for it to properly bond and if thats the case and I let my car sit overnight would I have to wash it again before using OCW?

With any sealant, you should wait a predetermined amount of time before exposing to water for optimum bonding. Usually 12-24 hours. I really do not see a need to wash your car after sealing/waxing unless the car is dirty and need its.

3. When using the clay bar, OCW, and WGDG spritz sealant do I need to avoid getting it on black trim/rubber seals? If I get some on the trim/rubber seals how can I get it off?

Most quick detailers and clay lubricants do not have issue with trim. Check the bottle to be sure though.

Hope this helps a bit and welcome to Autopia.

togwt
11-23-2011, 05:28 PM
:welcome: to Autopia.org