PDA

View Full Version : Detailing larger vehicles (farm equipment, machinery, semi`s, etc)

ncsu602
11-20-2011, 10:12 PM
It`s been about 3 years since I posted on here (nothing wrong, just life, kids, etc). I`ve got one coming up that`s a little different and I need some advice.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/ncsu602/35bmseptic.jpg

A septic pump truck.......

The owner keeps his trucks spotless, and don`t worry, he`s steam cleaning it before I get there! The tank is a single stage dark purple and he wants it shiny for a Christmas parade. To my knowledge I`m not doing the interior or buffing the fuel tanks, but everything else is fair game. Like I said, it`s been a while so don`t bash me on some older products!

Wipedown cab and tank (he`s washing it the night before)

Option 1 - PC with either #80, #83, 205, 105, #2

Top with #16

Option 2 - PC with either Astroshield or Long Haul, no polish

Frame, wells, tires, and anything not buffed with water based tire dressing 2:1 (locally made, M&H Distributors)

Powerpolish and Powerball on chrome and aluminum

I haven`t had much experience with single stage. He wants it shiny, but not concerned in making it look like a mirror. My main concern is durability. What`s my best option? Feel free to change it around too. Cutting pad, wool pad, polishing pad? I`ve also got some Meg`s NXT, Collinite 476, and Duragloss 105. I`ve also got a rotary I can break out, but I`m definitely better with the PC. Anybody had any experience with larger vehicles and can give some advice?

Also, I`m gonna charge by the hour, but I`m curious what to charge for 6-8 hours of work on something this size? Thanks!

stotte20
11-22-2011, 01:42 AM
You gotta ask your self what is 6-8 hours of work worth to you? how many normal details could u complete in that amout of time. if say you could do 2 details in that time, you need to charge at least what you make for 2 details if not more, seeing this could be a bit more tedious work. but its what your time is worth.

the single stage paint should be pretty easy to make look good. test what products work and look best and go from there. on these trucks make sure you get the chrome or stainless steel on the mirrors looking its best, it will really make your work and the detail stand out. get the wheels looking good and if you have time give the tanks a quick polishing up, it wont hurt and it will help your detail stand out. good luck

ncsu602
11-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the reply, I think I`ve got the paint covered. Anybody got an idea about doing a quick shine on the aluminum tanks? I know I can`t get them looking good without several hours work, but something quick just to shine them up a little. Thanks!

VCMike
11-24-2011, 08:57 PM
We do a fair amount of similar work, that looks to be in pretty good shape actually. The paintwork on these is far from optimal and they are usually resprayed with little to no masking or attention to detail. A good combo to start with on the cab(with what you have listed) would be 205 with an orange pad. You may also be able to get away with a white pad if the paint is well maintained. Keep in mind that most trucks are washed with high concentrations of caustic soap to break up road grime and usually brushes are used in the process. A similar method should get the septic tank in decent shape as well. You`re lucky the owner is doing the initial wash phase as it can be a real nightmare. Bring plenty of your favorite tar remover as well, as they are usually covered with pitch, bugs, etc.

The gas tank appears to be either brushed or acid washed so making that thing shiny alone would take up the better part of the day. The mirrors also look to be the finned variety and are pretty simple to clean up. The wheels and storage box seem to be in decent shape, a simple polish and seal will bring them up to speed quickly. Only word of caution on the wheels would be to make sure they are not Alcoa Durabrights(which I doubt they are). If they are putting anything on them will damage the finish and they are not cheap by any means. Durabrights will have a sticker stating what they are, but ask the owner just to be 100% positive.

As far as price, $400-$500 is a good starting point, depending on the amount of metal polishing that has to be done. Any aluminum polishing makes the price jump real fast.

ncsu602
11-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the advice, I`m doing it in two weeks and I`ll post up some pics when I`m done.