PDA

View Full Version : I de-cuffed my sheepskin: pics

Pages : [1] 2 3

Spilchy
03-03-2006, 04:08 PM
If I could develop a favorite wash mitt, it would be a large fluffy, soft, thick sheepskin pad with NO cuff. I have yet to locate one! As much as love sheepskin I don like the cuffs on any of them. I feel I get better control when I can palm the mitt with my hand rather than insert it into the mitt. I just enjoy this feel better.

But, if I want to wash this way, I run the risk of scraping the cuff on the surface. Even the traditional way of washing poses this "danger" too.

So I took an older sheepskin to experiment with by removing the cuff.

I took a pair of manicuring scissors, stretched the cuff inside out and easily, but delicately snipped the stiching that holds the cuff to the fur and the skin of the mitt. It took maybe 5 minutes. The little threads pull right out with no problem. The fur is obviously attached to the skin so you don`t have to worry about them separating. You get a tiny, tiny bit of shedding from the edges but with a quick dusting of my fingers it`s gone. A quick tug reveals no further shedding. I am left with a genuine piece of sheepskin with no synthetic material left on it.

In the picture of the inside of the cuff, you`ll notice the imprint of where the stitching was. You may see a renegade thread or two, but I pulled them all off.

If anyone out there is listening, develop a thick, cuffless sheepskin pad. Nobody seems to have one and I know a lot of people use the mitts without the hand insertion.

I have about 12 mitts I have collected over the years and I may try a few more, including the ones with the mesh. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for reading :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0330.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0331.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/spilchy/tn_IMG_0332.jpg

JaredPointer
03-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Great post!

Autogeek
03-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Cool dude, never thought of that!

cwcad
03-03-2006, 04:30 PM
It really amazes me as to how much thought is actually put into taking care of one`s vehicle.

This is a good thread and an excellent idea.

Attention to the details is something that you are up on, Seth!!

Spilchy
03-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks fellas!

If you still prefer to insert your hand in the mitt, the de-cuffing has no ill effect. It still fits nice and snug and it doens`t slide off my hand. If anything, it allows for more water to balloon inside the mitt.

Also, please note I have not washed the mitt in the washing machine yet to see if it will fray at the edges. But a close examination reveals that the fur is literally stuck to the skin (a natural occurence) so I don`t anticipate an issue, but you never know. But I`m confident. I`m giving a decent pull now with my finger tips and it ain`t shedding.

Bill D
03-03-2006, 04:57 PM
He he, that`s another idea I ought to try.I have already marked specific mitts` designation for specific panels so I might as well go for it. :D

JaredPointer
03-03-2006, 05:03 PM
He he, that`s another idea I ought to try.I have already marked specific mitts` designation for specific panels so I might as well go for it. :D

Wow, don`t you think you`re going a little overboard there, Bill?? :lol:

chml17l
03-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Bill-- What are you using to mark the mitts and where on the mitt is the mark?

Bill D
03-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I left out the part about wearing the tux and the top hat while doing so, :wink: :lol:

I use a simple Sharpie marker on the interior ( leather side) of the mitt. It holds up to washes with no problem.

G35stilez
03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
V.nice

You might want to get onto that manicure now ;).

Mikeyc
03-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Wow! That`s pretty extreme. I just fold the cuff inside the mitt.

97F1504x4
03-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Outstanding! This actually came into my brain today when i got my replacement Sheepskin mitt. They cuff on them is rather larger and it also has a leather loop which is meant to hang the mitt from to dry. I am going to due this to one tonight hoefully it will turn out as well as yours. I also agree it would be nice to have ba mitt with NO CUFF!

Richard

chml17l
03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
No cuff required. Are the sponsors listening???

Spilchy
03-03-2006, 06:41 PM
V.nice

You might want to get onto that manicure now ;).

I knew you`d mention that. While I`m at it, can I squeeze some hair gel off your head to borrow? ;)

Its a macro shot so you get an extreme closeup. I actually use a battery operated dremel to shape my nails after each cut :D

Bill D
03-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Seth, if he won`t let your borrow some, you can always ask me. :lol: