PDA

View Full Version : Storing tires..

solekeeper
11-18-2011, 07:01 PM
didn`t know where else to post this, and figured somebody on here would know.. i read tire racks recommendations, but i still had a question. I`m thinking of buying tires (to re-sell) and i might store them for awhile, so i was curious as to how i should stack them? One website says stack them vertically,(I guess this makes sense since tire places have them standing on the rack) TR doesn`t say.. or i may have missed it.

But i don`t have a rack, so how would i stack them vertically without creating flat-spots?

uniquedetailing
11-18-2011, 07:12 PM
put black bin bags over them too stop them from drying out.....uv lights will start to dry them if they sit

togwt
11-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Tyre Storage

The Tyre Garage lets you to safely store seasonal tyres outside, which frees up extra space in your storage areas. This innovative, new product is made of the same rugged, weatherproof material used for boat covers and awnings. It retains its colour and strength for years of normal exposure to sunlight and rain. It also resists mildew and cleans easily Also great for inside storage, it will cover up that unsightly pile of tyres - TOTL

• Pack each tyre separately in tyre covers. Storage bags will work just as well, provided that they are sealed.

• Store the winter tyres in a cool, dry place. Basements and garages are good storage places, as well as temperature regulated, water proof sheds. If none of these options are available, contact a reputable tyre dealer that offers tyre storage.

• Stack the tyres flat on their sides, not more than four tyres high. Tyres stacked more than four high are unstable and can tip over.

• Check the tyre pressure for each set of tyres when it`s time to remount the tyres. Consult the manufacturer`s instructions for the appropriate tyre pressure

Brad B
11-18-2011, 07:40 PM
You can buy used tire storage racks (commercial types-hold more tires, take up more space) very often and cheaply on Craigslist. Seen racks range from $75-300 and hold 6-40 tires.

For home I use roll around racks.

http://www.fototime.com/D749C16645E3958/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/DD3A0DF071FBB1A/standard.jpg

JohnZ3MC
11-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Like others have said,

horizontal storage,

wrap them up to keep sunlight away,

pressurize to 1 atmosphere.

That`s how I store my winter tires (on steel wheels) and it works well.

A torque wrench and a DeWalt air tank makes mounting them quick too.

solekeeper
11-18-2011, 09:58 PM
they will not be mounted on rims, does this matter how i store them

JohnZ3MC
11-19-2011, 12:33 AM
they will not be mounted on rims, does this matter how i store them

No. You just want to minimize sunlight on them and keep them as cool as possible, that`s all.

So, bag `em up and stack them. Horizontally for me because it uses the storage space more efficiently.

I notice shops store them vertically without problems so do what ever is convenient for you.

That cart that Brad B. has looks very slick.

Woody Wax
11-19-2011, 03:51 AM
In all honesty unless you are planning on holding and storing these tyres for years then it really is not going to matter how you store them. Stack or store them in which ever manner uses the least amount of room for you and as mentioned try to keep them out of direct sun for long periods of time.

The end result is, you are likely to be taking more care in storing them than the manufacturer and or the distributor you are buying them from in the first place.

Daniel

Accumulator
11-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Woody Wax- Good reply :xyxthumbs