PDA

View Full Version : Plastic spoilers/fascia

Volvonaut
11-16-2011, 06:20 AM
I`ve never really been sure what`s the appropriate way of bringing out the best in the plastic areas of cars? Specifically I`ll be buffing out a `93 300ZX TT and it has the factory tail and bumper. Are these done by hand or machine and what with?

togwt
11-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Plastic has a much lower rate of thermal conductivity than metal, so it absorbs heats at a far greater rate. Keep the machine /pad moving and use a light pressure

justin30513
11-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah. TOGWT hit it perfectly.

Bumpers retain heat and can really heat up the paint making a blemish worse. Start by hand then machine with no pressure.

Accumulator
11-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I wouldn`t hesitate to ue a machine (even a rotary), just keep the difference in thermal conductivity in mind and don`t overheat things.

EscapeVelocity
11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Sorry to butt in, but would using Ultimate Compound by hand on the White Plastic area of the Toyota Camry be a mistake?

Accumulator
11-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Sorry to butt in, but would using Ultimate Compound by hand on the White Plastic area of the Toyota Camry be a mistake?

Never worked on a Camry, but I sure wouldn`t expect it to cause problems.

While the paint on plastic parts is often a bit different from that on the rest of the car, I never think of/experience it being any big deal.

Woody Wax
11-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I wouldn`t hesitate to ue a machine (even a rotary), just keep the difference in thermal conductivity in mind and don`t overheat things.

As Accumulator mentioned,

I treat painted plastics the same as the rest of the car, just be mindfull that plastic can heat up quicker. I have also found the the plastics tend to clean up quick and easier than the painted panels.

If your using a DA you should have no problem at all.

Daniel