PDA

View Full Version : What can`t you use ONR on?

Pages : [1] 2 3

levander
11-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I saw a post int the archives by Scottwax saying the only stuff not to use ONR on is stuff that`s porous... Not sure how to determine if a surface is porous or not...

But from the sounds of it, maybe carpet would be something that is porous, so don`t use ONR on it?

I remember Scottwax also said for basic washes he dips a MF in ONR and rings it out, then wipes down the interior with it. Have never seen him mention if it`s ONR at QD or car wash dilution. I would assume he`s talking about car wash dilution.

Any worries about wiping down the interior with ONR at QD dilution? Since I keep a bottle of that in my trunk already, that`d be more convenient for my practices. Just occasionally spray a MF down real good with it, maybe ring it out some, then wipe everything down. I end up needing to clean my car`s interior more than exterior. Guess just cause I`m sitting inside it, looking at the dust there bothers me more.

Right now, when I do thorough washes I go over everything (but the carpet) with 3:1 OPC and then apply 303. But if I could just wipe everything down whit ONR @ QD, things would definitely get cleaned more.

I guess with ONR @ QD, I`m mostly worried about carpets and leather.

For the leather, just go over it with an ONR @ QD MF and then go back over it with a clean cloth to make sure there`s no residue left?

Dan
11-11-2011, 11:59 AM
I wouldn`t use it on leather. Plastic and other stuff is fine though.

imported_Erik Mejia
11-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I could never get it to work as a window cleaner no matter the dilution. It always left a film or smear. I still haven`t tried the new formula, so that may make a difference.

RobD
11-11-2011, 03:56 PM

I had the same concern, so I called Optimum and asked about using ONR at QD strength for wiping down the leather interior. The gentleman on the phone said it was fine.

Scottwax
11-11-2011, 06:00 PM

Works fine on leather. That`s how I keep mine clean on a weekly basis.

Works on carpets and headliners, glass, wood, etc. Really not sure if I`ve found its limitations yet.

[SS]Shooter
11-11-2011, 06:23 PM
It did irritate my dog`s skin, but at least he`s swirl free.

levander
11-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Erik, I still consider myself noob at this stuff. But, I think it`s supposed to leave a smear. you wipe the window with the right pressure on the MF and the smear should evaporate a few seconds after you finish a wipe... I did it about a week ago on some windows, and that`s vaguely what I remember doing.

The smear is the "polymers" that make a gloss on paint. you kind of see the same effect on paint when you use ONR there, it`s just more obvious on a window because the window is clear.

levander
11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
You guys using ONR @ QD dilution on leather, do you worry about making sure there`s no residue left on the leather after cleaning it? just wipe it down with a clean towel after?

But, I believe ONR is designed to leave a residue... Kind of like I was saying in that last post about glass.

I`ve just read it`s a bad idea to leave residue from your cleaner on leather. Kind of like these guys on here using 20:1 Woolite on leather. They make sure not to leave suds behind. hence the discussions about HE version of Woolite, etc..

imported_sal329
11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I have not found anything so far that I would not use ONR on... Maybe alcantara leather?

Scottwax
11-12-2011, 08:39 PM
You guys using ONR @ QD dilution on leather, do you worry about making sure there`s no residue left on the leather after cleaning it? just wipe it down with a clean towel after?

But, I believe ONR is designed to leave a residue... Kind of like I was saying in that last post about glass.

I`ve just read it`s a bad idea to leave residue from your cleaner on leather. Kind of like these guys on here using 20:1 Woolite on leather. They make sure not to leave suds behind. hence the discussions about HE version of Woolite, etc..

I don`t believe ONR is specifically designed to leave anything behind, I think the added gloss and slickness is a by-product of the polymer used. I have had zero problems using it to wipe down leather. I don`t notice any additional dirt attraction which would be a tell tale sign of "bad" residue.

David Fermani
11-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I too haven`t found much of anything that ONR can`t be used on. I actually use it as a polishing lube/rewetting agent too and it works great. I thought at one time it left something behind on my car`s black textured dash, but couldn`t confirm that it was from polishing compound residue still stuck within the towel that got released? It ended up vanishing the next time I spiffed my interior.

SoCalB6
11-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Leather, seat belts and headliner.

Scottwax
11-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Leather, seat belts and headliner.

Used it on all three with excellent results. 9 times out of 10, I can get headliner stains out with an ONR dampened towel.

Bert
11-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I could never get it to work as a window cleaner no matter the dilution. It always left a film or smear. I still haven`t tried the new formula, so that may make a difference.

My go to window cleaner is a 32 ounce bottle of qd strength onr with an ounce or two of rubbing alcohol added. No streaks and good cleaning ability.

imported_Erik Mejia
11-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Erik, I still consider myself noob at this stuff. But, I think it`s supposed to leave a smear. you wipe the window with the right pressure on the MF and the smear should evaporate a few seconds after you finish a wipe... I did it about a week ago on some windows, and that`s vaguely what I remember doing.

The smear is the "polymers" that make a gloss on paint. you kind of see the same effect on paint when you use ONR there, it`s just more obvious on a window because the window is clear.

Maybe the new formula will work better. Right now I stick to MarkV Window Sheen as my go to glass cleaner. I also want to try out the 3D Glass Cleaner 50:1 concentrate very soon.