PDA

View Full Version : Getting tire marks and rubber off paint after a track event

anson89
11-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I have a customer with a Dodge Viper that needs a thorough cleaning. He went to the track 4 times in a row the past week and has all these tire bits and pieces, rubber on the lower panels which is a PITA to get off. How do you approach this? APC? Goo gone?

lostdaytomorrow
11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
That make tar remover, made for tar and bugs. Works really well for me usually.

togwt
11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Wurth Clean Solve is fast acting and will not leave film residue, safe to use on all painted surfaces. Quickly removes track marbles (pill-shaped pieces of rubber shaved off the racing cars` tyres) paint overspray, adhesives, tar, grease, oils, silicone and waxes. Can be used safely on acrylic finishes, aluminium, plastics, vinyl, fabrics, glass, and fiberglass

Brad B
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
The trick is to stay AHEAD of the other cars tossing up the marbles. :)

I track a lot and am always getting rubber marks everywhere. I use Zaino AIO since it has a solvent and light abrasive which easily polishes off the marks and leaves a protective coating. Many other waxes/sealants are made the same way and work just as well for this. The reason I like this over a bug cleaner or tar remover or cleaner is that it leaves protection afterwards.

jaidedeye
11-10-2011, 08:54 AM
if its already stuck i use a heat gun to soften it up and remove it. i have also used hot water with an APC.

to prevent the issue when i go to the drag strip in my mustang i spray pam cooking spray on my lower panels around my rear tires or use low tack painters tape

Trevor

forrest@mothers
11-10-2011, 08:54 AM
We make a product for that - our 09224 R3 Racing Rubber Remover:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/product/images/09224.jpg

You`ll need to rewax afterward but it works really well. Brad - I think I need o get a case for here at the house.

jaidedeye
11-10-2011, 09:05 AM
Forrest,

thats good to know!! wish thye sold it in my area...may have to order it

Scottwax
11-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Ran into a situation where a customer had his car towed (parked where he shouldn`t have) and his wheels were turned all the way to the lock position. One of his tires was shredded and spit rubber all over the right front fender, ended up ruining both tires and damaging both wheels . Jet black BMW to boot. Combination of Clay Magic blue clay, Meguiars D300 and a MF cutting pad took it all off.

lostdaytomorrow
11-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Didn`t think about using an AIO for it due to it leaving protection, that`s a good idea.