PDA

View Full Version : I ♥ Mothers FX tire shine

Pages : [1] 2

Dan
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Rarely do I go out on a limb and rave about a product. I can usually find fault with just about any product. That said, I have finally settled on my tire shine of choice. Mothers FX.

Things I love about it, from most to least.

-When it does wear off, it doesn`t leave a mess behind

-Very easy to use, you really just need one or two passes for excellent looks

-Good durability for a water based product

-Looks like black licorice (my desired look), dark and rich with a bit of gloss.

-Its cheap!

I have used the stuff for over a year now on so many tires that I can whole heartedly recommend.

Things I have compared it to (best to worst) : Optibond, PB BNB, Stoner`s MS, Zaino Z16, DG253, NoTouch, Optimum Tire Shine, AA Gel,Megs Hyper, DP Tire Gel, 303, AA Original, Megs Endurance

A few pics:

http://www.datasmuggler.com/images/car_cleaning/mothers_fx1.jpeg

http://www.datasmuggler.com/images/car_cleaning/mothers_fx2.jpeg

http://www.datasmuggler.com/images/car_cleaning/mothers_fx4.jpeg

http://www.datasmuggler.com/images/car_cleaning/mothers_fx3.jpeg

SpoolinNoMore
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
What other tire shines have you used that you prefer it over? I really like that level of sheen and gloss to tires (which is a bit glossier than many on this forum would prefer) because I like that "just detailed" look to stick out amongst the crowd just a little bit more. Also, how do you prefer to apply tire dressings... Spray bottle/brush/sponge/etc?

I just switched from some Megs aerosol tire shine to some AA OTC gel and now have been messing around with Megs ASD and just got some Megs Hyper Dressing, debating on doing a different product on each tire and blind testing it over time.

*edit* I didn`t mean to ask a bunch of questions, I really first replied to share how similar our tastes in tire dressing appearances are :xyxthumbs

BigAl3
11-07-2011, 03:50 PM
very good product (the FX spray wax is nice as well) and a little goes a long way, been through two bottles myself...

Brad B
11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Great pics. (Dang I need a camera.) +1 on Mothers FX. I have a case of this in my garage. ;)

tom p.
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Based upon Dan`s best recommendation for the FX, I bought a couple bottles last week and have used it a few times. It is a very RICH product and I`m really liking it so far. Minimal product needed. Smooths out easy, doesn`t throw. Rich appearance, makes the rubber look wonderful...as seen in the above fotos :)

Thanks again, Dan! I`m with you 110% on this :)

Bill D
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Case only, it doesn`t come in gallons, huh?

Thomas Dekany
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Dan, that product looks just like Ultra Protectant from 3D.

PS: I looked for an example just now and can`t find the picture.

Dan
11-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Dan, that product looks just like Ultra Protectant from 3D.

Yeah, I`ve seen the pix and the results do look similar. I might get around to trying the 3D stuff, but as good as the looks of FX are, its how easy the stuff is to get along with.

For those wondering what my application technique is, I`m using an EO Tire Swipe. I spray 4-5 pumps onto the applicator per tire and go over the tire once or twice.

imported_MCA
11-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Thumbs up from me on the Mothers FX tire shine. Spreads extremely well so it`s easy to get an even coating and the look is great and balanced in my opinion (has a sheen but does not look high gloss or oily/sticky). For me, it`s either Mother`s FX or AA original.

imported_Erik Mejia
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Those tires look good. The sheen is a little more than I like, but a wipe down may fix that. What is the durability like?

C. Charles Hahn
11-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Hmm.... I haven`t tried this one yet. Might have to pick some up on the next local supply run.

AuAltima3.5
11-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I bought this stuff to replace my Meg`s Endurance Gel.

FX is awesome.

Durability wasn`t as good as Meg`s, but I love the shine, and it`s water based.

I couldn`t find it locally, and had to order online. A little goes a long way for me. Maybe three pumps of the nozzle per tire. The bottle is pretty big.

Scooby24
11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Are you the Dan S. that reviewed it on autogeek? 5-7 days durability? That can`t be right...

Dan
11-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Are you the Dan S. that reviewed it on autogeek? 5-7 days durability? That can`t be right...

No, I`m still yakky@AG. I don`t think its possible to measure durability in days. I think if you wanted to go nuts you could do miles driven in rain or maybe parked in rain? I dunno, but water based dressings don` have good durability in rain. The nice thing about FX is the tires rinse clean, losing the gloss but still stay very black.

RobD
11-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I like FX TS, too. It spreads evenly/easily and looks nice. The only product I prefer is Surf City Garage`s Beyond Black Tire Pro. It`s a bit expensive (about $15/24oz), but it does work very well. As easy to use as FX, but it looks even better, IMO.