PDA

View Full Version : Nissan 370Z Paint-SS?

kompressornsc
11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Haven`t been here in a while, but a thread came up on another forum, and I know someone here would know the answer.

Is it true that Nissan (specifically on the 370Z) is single stage-no clearcoat? It`s being claimed on another forum I`m on. I just find it hard to believe, but don`t have any proof one way or the other. I know my Mom`s Maxima is color / clear. I`ve got a 370Z on order, but it won`t be here until January so I can`t test it.

Like I said, I don`t believe it - but I can`t find anything online that says specifically. They guy is claiming that it`s just a color + clear mixed together (which to me...would be color) and no CC.

TIA

imported_sal329
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
They are clear coat and some colors are very hard, under the hood there is a sticker claiming hard clearcoat

dschribs
11-03-2011, 07:22 AM
I honestly don`t think anyone uses single stage paint anymore...

I had it on my `68 Camaro (repaint) and it was such a pleasure to work on. Other than the 4-5 paint stained pads I had to clean at the end of each polishing session.

mikenap
11-03-2011, 07:47 AM
I honestly don`t think anyone uses single stage paint anymore...

I had it on my `68 Camaro (repaint) and it was such a pleasure to work on. Other than the 4-5 paint stained pads I had to clean at the end of each polishing session.

Honda still uses it on at least Taffeta White, and I believe one of their reds as well. I seem to remember Toyota still used it on a few colors as well. And if memory serves, on some cars you`ll find SS on bumper covers while the rest of the car is CC since the covers are painted elsewhere and shipped to the manufacturer for install, already fully painted.

mikenap
11-03-2011, 08:01 AM
They are clear coat and some colors are very hard, under the hood there is a sticker claiming hard clearcoat

Wasn`t that red one you did on the super-soft side? I guess the other colors are harder?

imported_sal329
11-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Wasn`t that red one you did on the super-soft side? I guess the other colors are harder?

Red I did was super soft as well, the silver, white and gray were hard. On the harder clears there is a sticker under the hood

mikenap
11-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Red I did was super soft as well, the silver, white and gray were hard. On the harder clears there is a sticker under the hood

That`s interesting. So the red one didn`t have that sticker? I wonder why they would intentionally have certain paints harder than others. I`d think that if they were knowingly spraying harder clear, they would do it across the whole paint line-up?

lostdaytomorrow
11-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I think different color paints react different with the same clear applied. At least in some circumstances, not sure if that`s applicable here but would love to hear why different colors are harder and softer than others if the clear is the same across a whole line up.

mikenap
11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I think different color paints react different with the same clear applied. At least in some circumstances, not sure if that`s applicable here but would love to hear why different colors are harder and softer than others if the clear is the same across a whole line up.

I believe in general you`re right, since it happens all the time with most cars/colors. But in this case, they are KNOWINGLY using harder clear only on certain colors. It just makes me wonder why.

Scottwax
11-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Honda and Toyota definitely still use single stage white and seriously need to pull their head out of their butt. I cannot see one good reason for continuing to do that.

Every 350/370Z I have detailed has a clear coat finish.