PDA

View Full Version : If you dont clay before you buff, can it cause marring?

Pages : [1] 2

pinoyheat551
11-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I just got a dealership account recently but this dealer is paying 70 per car and 85 for suvs. Now the question is - can i get away without claying? If you buff without claying, can it cause swirls?

Accumulator
11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Now the question is - can i get away without claying? If you buff without claying, can it cause swirls?

Sometimes you can buff without claying/decontaminating and never have any problems. But if there *is* abrasive [stuff] on/in the paint then you could have significant problems indeed! Just hard to generalize about this...get something gritty stuck in your pad, or between the pad and the paint, and it`ll act like sandpaper; if you don`t have anything gritty like that then you won`t have a problem.

What about doing a decontamination wash, like...intead of your normal wash? Pretty much the same process you`d be doing anyhow, not like you`re adding another step like the claying.

Ron Ketcham
11-02-2011, 01:24 PM
The new car prep process we use at the ValuGard Auto Processing Center, where over 12,000 vehicles a year are done is basically this.

Pull the wrap, take to the wet bay, do the ABC, while products are dwelling, clean the wheels, water pressure wash the engine compartment to remove any storage or transit dust, pull certain stickers, etc. (in most cases, any adhesive residue comes off in the ABC process, at worst, a little New Car Prep will be used once it is in the dry bay)

Blow off the excess water with air pressure outside and engine, and "do a simple wipe off of excess water before for detailing, application of interior protection, paint sealant, etc. Move vehicle to dry bay for detail processes.

No need to get all anal about the glass, etc while in the wet bay, wastes time, as the glass will require full cleaning after all the sealant, etc work is done.

Once in the dry bay, tire dressing is wiped on (no spraying, takes longer to clean up the over spray than to wipe on with an applicator sponge, use less product), any excess water is removed from the surface. (once again, nothing anal, just get the water off), apply the paint sealant using a Porter Cable DA, move inside vehicle, remove any paper mats,stickers, vac,apply interior products, clean inside glass, wipe down any dust on surfaces, doing jams, etc.

Move outside vehicle, remove sealant indicators, detail trim, etc, clean outside glass, and out the door.

Now this is not in total detail of what all is done, but gives a general process.

Time in to time out, averages less than 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour depending on size, condition etc.

If paint or other defects are found following the wet bay process, a digtial photo is taken and emailed to the person in charge at the dealer, informing what is required for correction and additional costs to do so.

Once they respond, actions as they direct are taken.

Like I stated, this is a "general overview" of what it takes to do a 1,000 cars a month.

Grumpy

Dan
11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Clay as you wash while doing ONR. Using an aggressive clay it should add about 10 minutes per car.

Dr. Woo
11-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Fascinating. I`ll need to pay particular attention here since I`ll be picking up the new car when it arrives in 2-3 weeks.

C. Charles Hahn
11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Clay as you wash while doing ONR. Using an aggressive clay it should add about 10 minutes per car.

Agreed, IF we`re talking about *new* cars. Used cars are a seriously mixed bag.

It might even be more efficient and cost effective to look at the Elastrofoam for new car prep.

autoaesthetica
11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Yea used cars, from a cost perspective, its really a good idea to use a block as opposed to clay itself so you can just clean and go.

Its also a good idea to clay used car turnover preps because youre going to tear up and seriously grime out your pads, shortening their life.

Ron Ketcham
11-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Learn to use the ABC in your process, alll the "stuff" around the emblems, trim is clean, less time in actual labor, about the same for per car product costs, etc.

It is really a matter of changing your process, lots of other things can be done while the "dwell time" is taking place, which result in less labor, more done.

Grumpy

Scottwax
11-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Thats what I`d do, then using Meguiars D301 Finishing Wax or Optimum Poli-Seal and the MF finishing pad to go over the car with.

Accumulator
11-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Using an aggressive clay it should add about 10 minutes per car.

But watch that an "aggressive clay" doesn`t cause marring, the removal of which could take a lot longer than ten minutes ;)

Learn to use the ABC in your process, alll the "stuff" around the emblems, trim is clean, less time in actual labor...

And IME there isn`t a whole lot of "learning" to be done as "ABC" is pretty much foolproof. My big fear with it is that people will be scared off, thinking it`s a "highly trained professional-only" kind of thing that`s beyond the typical DIYer.

Dan
11-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Accumulator, since he is polishing afterwards, in most case I think he will be fine, especially on dealer cars.

While ABC is great, it takes much longer than 10 minutes.

Accumulator
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Accumulator, since he is polishing afterwards, in most case I think he will be fine, especially on dealer cars.

While ABC is great, it takes much longer than 10 minutes.

Oh, sheesh, I, uhm...had a senior moment :o Must`ve gotten my threads mixed up....

Ron Ketcham
11-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Question?

How long does it take for one to "wash" a vehicle, including removing any bug deposits, clean wheel wells, tires, wheels, etc?

If one does these cleaning processes while the A and B are dwelling, it does not take more time to do the entire vehicle.

After all, the car is going to be washed, "C", just that it is the last part of the process and goes very fast since all the "gunk" is off the vehicle.

Claying is great for some overspray`s, some sap deposits, however if the ABC is done most of those issues clay off much easier.

AND! You know you are going to polish, etc on a truly clean, decontaminated paint surface, all the "exhaust stains" are off the rear facisa, bugs are gone, paint is "squeaky" clean, speeds up other parts of the detail.

If one only focuses on doing the ABC and not utilizing the two dwell times, yes it would take longer than some may wish.

When doing the "total" cleaning process of the exterior using the ABC there is no time to goof off, you are busy for 25 to 30 minutes, moving all the time.

Good part is that when you have finished there will be very little "touch up", "re-do`s" to do.

Have all the tools/chemicals you need at the ready, and things will go very fast.

Grumpy

mikenap
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Question?

How long does it take for one to "wash" a vehicle, including removing any bug deposits, clean wheel wells, tires, wheels, etc?

If one does these cleaning processes while the A and B are dwelling, it does not take more time to do the entire vehicle.

After all, the car is going to be washed, "C", just that it is the last part of the process and goes very fast since all the "gunk" is off the vehicle.

Claying is great for some overspray`s, some sap deposits, however if the ABC is done most of those issues clay off much easier.

AND! You know you are going to polish, etc on a truly clean, decontaminated paint surface, all the "exhaust stains" are off the rear facisa, bugs are gone, paint is "squeaky" clean, speeds up other parts of the detail.

If one only focuses on doing the ABC and not utilizing the two dwell times, yes it would take longer than some may wish.

When doing the "total" cleaning process of the exterior using the ABC there is no time to goof off, you are busy for 25 to 30 minutes, moving all the time.

Good part is that when you have finished there will be very little "touch up", "re-do`s" to do.

Have all the tools/chemicals you need at the ready, and things will go very fast.

Grumpy

Many good points. I`ll have to break down and try some soon.

lostdaytomorrow
11-03-2011, 12:28 PM
I just got a dealership account recently but this dealer is paying 70 per car and 85 for suvs. Now the question is - can i get away without claying? If you buff without claying, can it cause swirls?

I wouldn`t be claying at that price, no way.