PDA

View Full Version : Windsheld help desparately needed!!!

rscecil007
10-30-2011, 07:57 PM
I`ve got an issue I need the experts help on. I`ve searched exhaustively here on the forum in search of an answer or help, but nothing I`ve come across really helps.

Background: About 3 weeks ago I got my windshield replaced. Immediately did the same maintenance I did on my old windshield; did a clay bar cleaning on it, and cleaned it with Stoner`s Invisible Glass. On my old windshield, this would bead like crazy and I rarely needed to even turn my wipers on. First rain after the new windshield, no beading whatsoever.

Since then I`ve tried Chrome & Glass Polish, Klasse Sealant Glaze, and the Klasse twins (AIO and SG). In between these various methods I did clean/strip the windshield, to make sure whatever I was trying was isolated and not mixing with what I`d already applied and tried. I`ve used non-dilluted IPA, non dilluted white vinegar, and another clay bar in there somewhere to clean/strip. Nothing I`ve tried will make it bead up, and I basically have to run my wipers non stop if it`s raining.

The brand of glass is Pilkington, but supposedly the same brand that makes my OEM glass (06 Toyota Tacoma), or at least the little symbol on all my windows (windshield and all original OEM glass) is the same. I did notice when wet it`s easy to spot a few scratches on the the new windshield, my fingernail will catch on them. They are impossible to see or find when dry however. But I would think the scratches wouldn`t really prevent any water beading.

The only thing I tried just an hour ago was Rain-x. I really don`t care for Rain-x since it needs to be reapplied often and can lead to streaking, but it actually did work, and the water did bead up and just roll off (at least in the garage test of pouring directly on and with a spray bottle.) I`ve got nothing against Rain-x, I`ve just had much better luck long term with my last windshield just using Stoner`s IG, and didn`t ever have problems beading up unless the windshield was dirty.

But does anyone have any idea why out of all the things I`ve tried, nothing else worked to help with the water beading? I can`t understand why the Klasse twins or just the SG itself wouldn`t make the water bead up.

I`ve searched and read the past few days until my head hurts, with no luck. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

David Fermani
10-30-2011, 08:50 PM
This sounds pretty strange? Not sure why the other products tried aren`t giving you the same results as you had on your prior windshield? Can`t imagine what is causing this unless there`s some kind of film still on the glass? For really long term protection you might want to consider a coating like Opti-Coat. It`s the longest lasting product I`ve ever used on glass (and paint).

EDIT - Welcome to Autopia btw....:welcome

lostdaytomorrow
10-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Wait, Stoner`s gave you beading on your old windshield? I don`t think Stoner`s is supposed to leave any sort of chemical behind on the glass? I don`t think so man, it was probably a different sealant/wax product or Rain-x etc. that produced your beading on your old windshield.

Just apply one of the hydrophobic chemicals on the market a few times a year, Aquapel is the best one in my opinion.

rscecil007
10-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Well, the rain-x worked like a charm in the downpour on the way to work this morning. Beaded right up and rolled right off when i got going, no wipers needed.

I`ve had this truck for 2.5 years, and at some point, I did do the chrome polish on the windshield, and maybe the Klasse SG at some other point. But it`s been long ago for both. All I can remember doing for the past year at least is doing a clay bar treatment every so often then using Stoner`s.

For comparison, all the other windows on my truck bead up like crazy, and I didn`t ever do anything to them but the clay bar/Stoner`s combo.

I`ll look into the Opti-coat. But I still can`t for any reason see why if I cleaned and stripped the window why the Klass AIO and/or SG didn`t "take" (for lack of a better term) and cause the water to bead.

lostdaytomorrow
10-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow maybe you just have special glass man, I`ve just never heard of an auto glass that is hydrophobic like exhibiting the qualities of rainx all by itself but that is very cool! Try out aquapel sometime if you get a chance, I like it better than rainx and I`ve used both pretty extensively.

Scooby24
10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
I`ve been using finish kare glass cleaner on my car since new and it continually beads water too. It`s like since its been cleaned well since birth, nothing has had a chance to compromise the surface tension.

wascallyrabbit
11-01-2011, 08:24 AM
in the past when i`ve polished my windshield (with glass polish) that it acted like it was coated and beaded water in the rain.

lostdaytomorrow
11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
For you guys that have awesome beading glass, have you ever done a 50/50 with aquapel or rainx to compare?

Grimm
11-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Something must have been on the old glass. We had a Mountaineer that was similar. The windshield didn`t bead, but all of the side windows did since the day we bought it. I never put anything on them, but they continued to bead for several years. When we sold it 8 years later, they still had a slight beading after washing/rain.

Scooby24
11-01-2011, 12:01 PM
For you guys that have awesome beading glass, have you ever done a 50/50 with aquapel or rainx to compare?

No, but something I have noticed....I`ve applied rain-x to the wife`s GMC. The glass beaded when new and since applying rain-x...it seems like the windshield is now dependent upon it to properly bead anymore. My car has never seen anything but finish kare glass cleaner and will never stop beading between washes. I have no idea if correlation implies causation here, but if it aint broke, don`t fix it.

rscecil007
11-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Does anyone have any ideas of how to completely clean my windshield (that I haven`t tried) and get the Klasse SG to work? Is it even worth trying again?

I`d really like to get that to work since it lasts so long and doesn`t streak like Rain-x can.

wascallyrabbit
11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
a dedicated abrasive glass polish (ie zaino). aquapel or gtechniq g1 or g3 don`t streak like rain-x and last longer.