PDA

View Full Version : Help ASAP! Using ONR while wetsanding left stained splatter marks on trim

sahrcar
10-29-2011, 07:36 AM
So yesterday my project of the day was a black F-150 that a guy was passing down to his 16 yr old son. He didn`t want any interior work done and just wanted the scratches removed from the exterior paint. Upon inspection it looked like this truck had been a hunters truck due to all the scratches it had on it. If I did well with this truck then I would also get to work on his black Tahoe and another white Tahoe of his as well. Knowing that I could have a very long day and that he wasn`t going for pure perfection I decided to machine sand the paint.

I started out with 3000 and then dropped down to 1500 followed with the 3000 again. I was using ONR as a lubrication base. It was a nice pleasant day outside slightly cloudy and was in the low 80`s or something like that so it wasnt blistering hot. I did the whole hood and then the front 2 side panels and then went to wash off the residue. It would not come off! I tried to remove it using a fresh ONR application, then an IPA wipedown, and then had to grab my steam cleaner, and then I finally gave in and used my rotary with a wool pad to clean it off of the paint. The paint cleared up but the trim work wouldn`t.

For the trim I again tried to use ONR, IPA, steam clean, Mothers back-black (it was the only trim dressing I had on hand at the time), OPT protectant but nothing worked on it. I get to come back today to do the Tahoes but I need to find a way to clean up the trim. Right now its stained like one just ran a wool pad full of compound directly over the trim vents below the front windshield. I have Optimum Power Clean, Optibond, Poorboys trim restore, Black Wow, Chemical Guys Extreme Shine tire spray, Klasse AIO and an assortment of waxes on hand. I`ll try to upload a picture if I can. Anybody have any ideas? I go back today at 1pm. Thanks for your help!

Nth Degree
10-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Interesting. Did the residue differ much with the ONR compared to standard water? If so, that is probable your clue to the trim. I would try the OPC. Try contacting Chris@optimum directly.

I will be paying attention. Please post updates with the results.

SuperBee364
10-29-2011, 09:36 AM
You might want to try a pediatric extra soft bristled toothbrush to agitate your APC (or IPA) on the trim.

sahrcar
10-29-2011, 11:28 AM
The ONR didnt differ much from standard water. It actually helped prolong the use of the pad as it didnt allow the pad to gunk up as fast. I got plenty of toothbrushes on hand in my kit so I`ll let it sit for awhile and agitate and see what happens. I tried to upload some pictures but it just kept saying invalid file even after resizing it and using an online webhost. Oh well, It`s time to give it another go so I guess I`ll just throw a few various combinations at it and take some pictures for yall with my regular camera. Please..Please...

autoaesthetica
10-29-2011, 02:55 PM
So it was the ONR and clear-slurry that left this? Or just ONR waterspotting?

Scottwax
10-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Dried trim and wet sanding mess = instant disaster

Seems like the trim sucked up all the moisture from the ONR and sanding/polishing residue. Clean as best you can, you might have to redye the trim to bring it back completely.

C. Charles Hahn
10-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Dried trim and wet sanding mess = instant disaster

Seems like the trim sucked up all the moisture from the ONR and sanding/polishing residue. Clean as best you can, you might have to redye the trim to bring it back completely.

:werd: Definitely important to mask off trim when doing this kind of job.

Interesting thought using ONR to lube while machine sanding, I`ve always just used plain water since adding lubricity increases the chance of hydroplaning.

David Fermani
10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
This doesn`t make alot of sense? That trim must have been pretty worn to begin with if it soaked in the abraded paint like this? I`d try either using a toothbrush with APC and/or redying it?

Charlie - ONR as QD strenght works great for sanding actually. It may affect lubricity, but only in a positive way by softening the sharpness of the paper a bit. Allows you to use less liquid too.

C. Charles Hahn
10-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Charlie - ONR as QD strenght works great for sanding actually. It may affect lubricity, but only in a positive way by softening the sharpness of the paper a bit. Allows you to use less liquid too.

Yeah, I use it for that purpose when hand sanding all the time and it does work great; but I`d never considered it for machine sanding.

lostdaytomorrow
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Let`s see a pic of this man. If nothing else, just pop that trim off and spray paint it black. Krylon works well.

sahrcar
11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Sorry fellows but I cant seem to upload a picture. Ive tried directly uploading from my computer and then using a photo sharing site but just keep getting the following error message:

Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata in [path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849

I do thank you all for all your comments thus far. It rained last Sat. so I didnt have time to get back to the truck. I was able to do a white Tahoe for the same owner and was hoping that the truck would return in time for me but it arrived too late and then its out of town again until Thursday. So Thursday is when I will be able to try and undo my mess I created.

Its been a crazy few days for me. I got a couple nails side by side in my work van tire so it cant be fixed and now I`ve had to cram all my detailing supplies minus the generator and water tank into a little corolla. My camera got buried in my car and my internet went out on me as well. So I do apologize for not maintaining this thread a bit better.

Anyways, It was just ONR at wash dilution and the sanding dust that stuck on there. The vehicle is a 2006 F-150. I`ve always been able to just grab a microfiber and wipe off the splatter in the past so I didn`t see a need to tape off the trim when doing this. I`ve probably detailed about 100 or so vehicles now and I definitely tape when polishing but not wetsanding. Should I be taping from now on or is this just a freak thing to happen?

Seems like Black Wow and Poor Boys Trim Restore will be my best bet with this then if I have to redye. Those are the best trim dyes I have on hand right now. I will try the OPC at full strength to try and clean. I do use Chemical Guys Citrus wash N gloss so I wonder if that would do any good too or just cause more issues with the citrus? OPC is the strongest cleaner I have on hand right now and I dont have any adhesive removers on hand as my steam cleaner does the trick for me. Should I go buy something like Goo Gone or special order some other kind of cleaner or trim dye?

bamorris2
11-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Sorry fellows but I cant seem to upload a picture. Ive tried directly uploading from my computer and then using a photo sharing site but just keep getting the following error message:

Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata in [path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849

I do thank you all for all your comments thus far. It rained last Sat. so I didnt have time to get back to the truck. I was able to do a white Tahoe for the same owner and was hoping that the truck would return in time for me but it arrived too late and then its out of town again until Thursday. So Thursday is when I will be able to try and undo my mess I created.

Its been a crazy few days for me. I got a couple nails side by side in my work van tire so it cant be fixed and now I`ve had to cram all my detailing supplies minus the generator and water tank into a little corolla. My camera got buried in my car and my internet went out on me as well. So I do apologize for not maintaining this thread a bit better.

Anyways, It was just ONR at wash dilution and the sanding dust that stuck on there. The vehicle is a 2006 F-150. I`ve always been able to just grab a microfiber and wipe off the splatter in the past so I didn`t see a need to tape off the trim when doing this. I`ve probably detailed about 100 or so vehicles now and I definitely tape when polishing but not wetsanding. Should I be taping from now on or is this just a freak thing to happen?

Seems like Black Wow and Poor Boys Trim Restore will be my best bet with this then if I have to redye. Those are the best trim dyes I have on hand right now. I will try the OPC at full strength to try and clean. I do use Chemical Guys Citrus wash N gloss so I wonder if that would do any good too or just cause more issues with the citrus? OPC is the strongest cleaner I have on hand right now and I dont have any adhesive removers on hand as my steam cleaner does the trick for me. Should I go buy something like Goo Gone or special order some other kind of cleaner or trim dye?

Are you sure that it wasn`t like that to begin with, and that you just didn`t notice it? The reason I ask is because I owned a 2005 F150 (that I bought new) up to a few months ago. The trim was horrible because of the sun. Over the years it turned almost white. Dressings only made it a shinny white. It sounds like mine looked like your clients does. Maybe it was like that to begin with. On the F150 forums, it was quite a problem. Many owners spray painted with Krylon.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

sahrcar
11-05-2011, 04:31 PM
I tried a diluted Powerclean at first and let it dwell for a couple minutes but it was still a bit stubborn. I sprayed it on full strength and agitated with a toothbrush and that did the trick! All the spots came clean and I then dressed the surface with Poorboys Trim Restore so all is well now. I sure wish I could get the pics up for you guys to see the before and after. I`ll keep working on the pics in case someone wants to see them. Thanks for all the advice!

Scottwax
11-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Anyways, It was just ONR at wash dilution and the sanding dust that stuck on there. The vehicle is a 2006 F-150.

Worst. Trim. Ever.

You couldn`t have picked a worse vehicle for that to happen on, other than a 1st generation Expidition.

3D Trim Protectant does an amazing job on faded Ford trim.

Brad B
11-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Glad this all turned out ok for you. We still would love to see pics. A good learning experience for ALL of us.