PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845 and Optimum Products

Pages : [1] 2

imported_RedlineIRL
10-28-2011, 10:57 PM
A couple months back I fully detailed my car, polished, and then used Collinite 845 as my LSP. On some sections I used only Blackfire Wet Diamond to test out the look and durability, since I wanted to see how it compared to 845. Since then I have washed and cleaned using Optimum Car Wash along with No Rinse. From my personal testing and use, I can tell that using ONR does degrade the durability of 845. After about a month I could tell a big degarade in the beading characteristics of 845 (puddling on horizontal surfaces along with large ununiform beading). I have read a few different threads on here where others have experienced this with 845 and ONR. I can`t explain it, but it does. Yet the areas with Blackfire Wet Diamond as the LSP were unphased for the most part. I have noticed a slight degrade over the two month initial application, but BFWD still beads uniformly and tightly and is still extremely hydrophobic.

For a little while now, I have become more and more unimpressed with 845 and its lack of its claimed durability. I am glad I tested BFWD along 845, becuase I have found my new LSP to replace the 845 I have been using for years now. It seems to hold up a whole lot better with the cleaning products I use compared to 845.

I haven`t done any testing with different car washes, but has anyone noticed that Optimum Car Wash causes 845 to lose its durability quick like it does with ONR?

autoaesthetica
10-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Thats interesting though I have seen stories of super durability from 845, and then simply absolutely pathetic durabilty(just over the years of reading them) and with mixed climates. I am surprised the BF has outlasted it to be honest, 845 is a veteran to durability and quality protection. I wonder if its an issue of incompatibility with something left on the paint?

autoaesthetica
10-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Oh and, OCWash has been one of the most gentle soaps I have used to date - in fact it replaces just about everything as a maintenance wash for our customers. In the case of ONR, it seems like the polymer characteristics change the beading, but Accumulator did enlighten me to ONR killing off some 476s which I found really odd.

mikenap
10-29-2011, 06:00 AM
I`m glad you tested it side by side. On several occasions I`ve mentioned that ONR killed 845 for me. Accumulator, Umiooo and now Redline have all seen the same thing so I don`t feel like I`m doing anything out of the ordinary at this point. And Dave, if you`re reading this, NO ONE swapped my ONR out for kerosene!:nana:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/eco-friendly-car-detailing/132712-onr-other-no-rinse-productions.html

gav'spurplez
10-29-2011, 08:50 AM
i guess its a good thing i went with CMW instead of 845 on my truck for winter ( since i use ONR during the winter months )

Accumulator
10-29-2011, 11:55 AM
.. I`ve mentioned that ONR killed 845 for me. Accumulator, Umiooo and now Redline have all seen the same thing..

Right, does it for me and for my pal with the `60 MKII Jag, both with 845 and 476S.

imported_RedlineIRL
10-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Thats interesting though I have seen stories of super durability from 845, and then simply absolutely pathetic durabilty(just over the years of reading them) and with mixed climates. I am surprised the BF has outlasted it to be honest, 845 is a veteran to durability and quality protection. I wonder if its an issue of incompatibility with something left on the paint?

I was surprised too with BFWD, but it has proven to be way ahead of 845 for me. It lasts longer, water beads small and tightly and rolls right off, and it doesn`t attract dirt like 845 does. I am glad I tested them side by side becuase I have found my new go to LSP.

After polishing and before applying the LSPs, I did a full Griots pre wax cleaner wipedown and washed again just to be sure that no polishing oils were left behind.

Oh and, OCWash has been one of the most gentle soaps I have used to date - in fact it replaces just about everything as a maintenance wash for our customers. In the case of ONR, it seems like the polymer characteristics change the beading, but Accumulator did enlighten me to ONR killing off some 476s which I found really odd.

The OCW had me wondering since I have only used ONR a couple times since applying the 845 and BFWD. For 845 claiming to be such a durable wax, I find it kind of funny that one of the best no rise washes can compromise its durability. I like OCW, and don`t plan on switching, but it just made me curious if others have seen this with OCW at all.

I don`t know if ONR has has some kind of proprietary chemicals in it, but it seems that a log of washes and no rishes have some sort of polymers in them

Scottwax
10-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Even using conventional car wash soaps (had a few customers several years ago who insisted), I was utterly unimpressed with 845s durability. Beaded great for a month or so, then it fell off. Collinite 476 has worked out much better for me. Looks better too.

autoaesthetica
10-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Yea 476 has a lovely glow to it, excellent durability to it as well.

autoaesthetica
10-29-2011, 05:01 PM
I was surprised too with BFWD, but it has proven to be way ahead of 845 for me. It lasts longer, water beads small and tightly and rolls right off, and it doesn`t attract dirt like 845 does. I am glad I tested them side by side becuase I have found my new go to LSP.

After polishing and before applying the LSPs, I did a full Griots pre wax cleaner wipedown and washed again just to be sure that no polishing oils were left behind.

The OCW had me wondering since I have only used ONR a couple times since applying the 845 and BFWD. For 845 claiming to be such a durable wax, I find it kind of funny that one of the best no rise washes can compromise its durability. I like OCW, and don`t plan on switching, but it just made me curious if others have seen this with OCW at all.

I don`t know if ONR has has some kind of proprietary chemicals in it, but it seems that a log of washes and no rishes have some sort of polymers in them

That`s just wild to me still. I have found that ONR with synthetics, at least in the winters really don`t have any durability issues. I love OPT car wash, just friggin amazing stuff for a maintenance wash.

2005GTPinMD
10-29-2011, 08:17 PM
I love BFWD myself, too. It is a great sealant. My favorite one for my car is FK1000P. I have had it on for close to 6 months and still plenty of beading.

imported_RedlineIRL
10-29-2011, 09:40 PM
Even using conventional car wash soaps (had a few customers several years ago who insisted), I was utterly unimpressed with 845s durability. Beaded great for a month or so, then it fell off. Collinite 476 has worked out much better for me. Looks better too.

That`s been basically the same experience with me with 845. I`m not too huge on paste waxes, but maybe I`ll give 476 a try. As of lately Collinite products have left a bad taste with me, so I`ll probably stick with BFWD until something better comes along

That`s just wild to me still. I have found that ONR with synthetics, at least in the winters really don`t have any durability issues. I love OPT car wash, just friggin amazing stuff for a maintenance wash.

Isn`t 845 supposed to be a combination of a carnuba, synthetic, etc all in one, and not a pure sealant?

autoaesthetica
10-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Yea it used to be know as a liquid wax until more people became enlightened that its verryy synthetic but still having a significant component of carnauba.

Accumulator
10-30-2011, 12:03 PM
The 845 is kinda funnyt when it comes to durability; on some paints/surfaces it lasts a *VERY* long time for me, but on others is doesn`t, and there are no obvious variables I can attribute it to :nixweiss

hacadacalopolis
10-30-2011, 06:15 PM
The only thing that i have found out about 845 is that it will stain some faded trim pretty badly. Other than that it has been my basic LSP for almost all clients i have including rv`s, campers