PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing the fleet. One more done.

Pages : [1] 2

Brad B
10-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Winterized the 2005 Audi S4 today. The mechanicals got a checkover and the exterior got a coat of Zaino Z2. I`ll do the interior tomorrow.

Funny story, anyone here old enough to remember the opening sequence of Happy Days? The Fonz walks up to a mirror as if to come his hair and then he stops and steps back...because it`s already PERFECT. Ayyyyyyy!

Well the same sort of thing happened to me today. I got out the buffer and polish and started to work on the S4. BUT... a close look revealed no swirls, no scratches, no water spots, no repairable imperfections. Ayyyyyy! It has been over 3 years since I have polished out the paint on the ole girl. I guess being an anal retentive, obsessive compulsive, Type A, geek has paid off.

The S4 does live a pretty pampered life, it only has 40k miles since I brought it home new. It lives in a heated garage but spends most days outside in the parking lot at my wifes work. From day one this has been a Zaino Z2 car. My routine includes at least a weekly wash with Z7. I use a large bucket with grit guard and two Mothers sheepskin mitts. One for above the beltline and one for the lower panels and rockers. I wash top to bottom, wiping only in one direction from front to back. I rinse the mitt after every two or three swipes and re-soap. I also lift the edge of the mitt as I pull it along. For drying I sheet the water off and use a Mothers Laminated Drying Towel. I lay it on, grab the corners and pull it up and off. I finish any residual drying with a waffleweave MF. I follow each wash with a QD using Z8. Between washes I use Z6 for quick detailing. I typically re-apply Z2 once or twice yearly. I do touch ups throughout the year with ZAIO. And just for fun I have added Clear Seal a couple times as well, usually Summer and Fall. Or when I get bored.

Also, and I think this is as key as anything, I am fanatical about keeping an eye on the car. The cleaner you keep it, the easier it is to maintain. I wash after every rain. I look for bird poo. I don`t park under trees. I remove tar and rocker panel dirt immediately. I never force the issue with dirt and QD, but I QD a lot to avoid having abrasive dust on the paint. I use quality towels and I have a complete car care kit ready in the car at all times. Also, I have `trained` my wife to be as particular as I am with the car. And she is!

Moral of the story...proper maintenance technique is, IMO, the best way to keep your car looking like the day it was built. Before you spend money on the latest car care stuff, spend some time learning how to really put the "care" in car care!

One more down.

http://www.fototime.com/9A643ADA2FC13C9/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/C9AC9C11152A84F/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/CCF04AC2BF4FBDD/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A222B524EBE9E44/standard.jpg

Bill D
10-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I got out the buffer and polish and started to work on the S4. BUT... a close look revealed no swirls, no scratches, no water spots, no repairable imperfections. Ayyyyyy! It has been over 3 years since I have polished out the paint on the ole girl. I guess being an anal retentive, obsessive compulsive, Type A, geek has paid off.

:D :bigups Definitely the up side to it! And I bet it feels pretty darn good! I can most certainly relate!

Pats300zx
10-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Looking fantastic Brad. Way to go !!!!

C. Charles Hahn
10-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Looks awesome, Brad! Better than most new ones (partially because I like the older Audi body styles more, partially because you keep that thing immaculate!)

Dan
10-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Car looks great. Z2 is made for silver. I`ve been happy with my wash technique too, minimal to no marring, but its amazing how much PO85rd wakes things up. I THINK I don`t need it, but then I do it anyway and am wowed.

DaGonz
10-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Brad.. my washing regimen for the Mutanng s similar to yours.. washing top to bottom, following the airflow of the vehicle, free flowing rinse followed by waffle weave microfiber drying towels. I also do a lot of ONR washes.

I QD often, keep a complete detaiing kit in the car. The Mustang doesn`t see rain all that often, and is stored in the "paddock" for the New England Winter. The Mustang is swirl free and with a little over 18K on the odometer will be kept for a long time.

Ben@3D
10-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Car looks great Brad!

Although I don`t know what this winterize thing is that you speak of. Then again, lived in So. Cal all my life. :tongue2:

Luckily detailing is year round here.

Bill D
10-29-2011, 01:15 PM

It`s what I love most about having moved here as well.

Fast Eddie
10-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Looks great. love the S4 and love the garage too!

Brad B
10-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Car looks great Brad!

Although I don`t know what this winterize thing is that you speak of. Then again, lived in So. Cal all my life. :tongue2:

#$@&%#@ :angry::tape:

David Fermani
10-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Love the color, the car, it`s home and the choice in LSP! Bravo!

Accumulator
10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Looks awesome, Brad! Better than most new ones (partially because I like the older Audi body styles more, partially because you keep that thing immaculate!)

Yeah, X2 :xyxthumbs

Brad B.- You`re not really gonna sell it (this time) are you? I mean...gee, that`s the last year they look like that.

Brad B
10-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, X2 :xyxthumbs

Brad B.- You`re not really gonna sell it (this time) are you? I mean...gee, that`s the last year they look like that.

Honestly, the only reason I am considering selling is the fear of the expense of repairs after my warranty runs out. I love everything about the car but they can be expensive to fix. The car has been very reliable so far but just recently a "valve" of some sort went out on the Tiptronic tranny and the repair, covered by warranty, would have cost $3400. Yikes. That really gave me a scare.

Dan
10-30-2011, 02:14 PM
B6/B7 S4 repair costs are ridiculous. Stuff is just so tight in there and parts are ridiculously expensive. One of the reasons I sold mine. I could deal with expensive parts. I could deal with lengthy repairs, but not both. The motor has a glass jaw too. Way too many of them have gone poof.

Ch96067
10-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Nice work Brad!

Please share on how you trained your wife to share your passion!!! I could use it for my gf :).