PDA

View Full Version : An artform.

Pages : [1] 2

NürburgDetail
10-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Morning everyone, I was having a chat with one of the guys at work, who owns a Civic ek9. He does everything I do in regards to detailing,right down to the claying and show glazing but he sees it as cleaning. So my question is, same as some artists wont see photography as an art form, IS detailing an art form?

I would say it most certainly is, the attention to detail and presentation to me would suggest its an art form, the reason you detail your car is either to present it to others or for your own pride in your work. What do we think?

2005GTPinMD
10-27-2011, 05:41 AM
To me routine maintenance of a car - washing, waxing etc. is just cleaning and upkeep. What I consider an art form are some of the corrections done by the people on here - such as turning an oxidized car into something that looks brand new.

togwt
10-27-2011, 05:45 AM
“The Art and Science of Detailing”

Science - includes such elements as chemicals, equipment, and knowledge of vehicle surfaces, industry standards, and customer requirements.

Art - many detailers can polish; but only a few have sufficient talent to polish like Rembrandt can paint. Presentation is also a very important part of detailing and their art is shown by their photographic composition and the backdrops chosen

Aesthetics - is the activity of combining these elements into the proper application methodologies that produce an aesthetically pleasing outcome for each specific situation

NürburgDetail
10-27-2011, 06:19 AM
“The Art and Science of Detailing”

Art - many detailers can polish; but only a few have sufficient talent to polish like Rembrandt can paint. Presentation is also a very important part of detailing and their art is shown by their photographic composition and the backdrops chosen

This really emphasises my point. And in regards to the comment about corrections being more of an art form. I would agree actually. The corrections that some guys do, really take dedication.

mikenap
10-27-2011, 06:51 AM
To me routine maintenance of a car - washing, waxing etc. is just cleaning and upkeep. What I consider an art form are some of the corrections done by the people on here - such as turning an oxidized car into something that looks brand new.

Good answer. Some of the guys at the top of their game are true artists in this field, much like a top-tier athlete can be considered an artist in their sport. It requires skill, patience, work ethic and an eye that most people don`t have.

Bill D
10-27-2011, 08:07 AM
For me, the root of it all stems from my personality and basic makeup. I`m just detail oriented naturally. It runs in the family. It`s a release, often a form of relaxation for me. Same thing about the house,the lawn,etc. It`s how I approach things without even thinking about it. Most of the time I don`t find it arduous.

Regarding detailing the car, it`s certainly to prolong maintainence, and a strong belief in taking care of the things I own, but it`s even more about a sense of pride and satisfaction. It`s passion! :)If I get approval of others as a side benefit, that also makes me feel good.

Cars can definitely be an art form. Go to a good car show and when you see people who don`t know much about cars or care that much about them, but still really appreciating them, that shows some are just more than vessels that take one from point A to point B.

lostdaytomorrow
10-27-2011, 08:29 AM
To me, It`s just science at the end of the day. Level the surface to reflect light more more smoothly and evenly. I take care of all of my things, and my vehicles are just one of the things I take good care of.

togwt
10-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Science-can be learned

Art – you can learn to appreciate it

Aesthetics – we all know what we like (beauty is in the guy of the beholder)

Talent – is a specific gift that cannot be taught, you can gain experience by doing and become good at something, but

Lonnie
10-27-2011, 09:36 AM
If you refer to "Art" as a Skill, then yes, detailing is an art-form.

If you refer to "Science" as the items needed to foster, develope, and maintain that skill, then science is also part of detailing.

As TOGWT says, "Many detailers can polish; but only a few have sufficient talent to polish like Rembrandt can paint...."

Seems to me there was a thread about this subject not too long ago.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/135767-detailing-science-art.html

Nth Degree
10-27-2011, 10:24 AM
There is a line that is crossed in detailing where it becomes art. Just like cooking. Anyone can read the recipe, mix the ingredients and follow the cooking directions. Similarly, anyone can use 105 on an orange pad, then 205 on a white pad and apply sealant of choice and "voila". A great chef can look in the pantry/refrigerator, pull out ingredients and create a meal without a recipe or directions. Detailing becomes art in a similar way. A master of the craft can look at the empty canvas and know what combinations and in what order, at what speed, for what time will create the best result, then present it in the best possible way.

Kevin Brown
10-27-2011, 10:34 AM
From an older thread about a Bentley Todd Helme polished:

Great work, Todd!

I can really see the richness of that beautiful green paint now, whereas before it want just green paint.

You`ve inspired me to post about an observation I`ve contemplated for a long time now... :nervous1

For years I have seen the term The Art of Polishing Paint being bantered about.

I used to spout the term myself, occasionally blurting something like, "Paint polishing is an art!"

Now, after countless hours standing behind that crazy whirling surface modifiying machine, I have to say that in my opinion, paint polishing is not an art at all.

Instead, I believe that paint polishing (and all things associated with restoring or improving the beauty of a paint job), is a craft that someone learns through education, methodology, and trial & error experience. To become skilled, one must have the desire to take the job to the next level at every opportunity, and must essentially compete against oneself to achieve a better result every time.

Eventually, one uses his talent to reach the level of craftsman.

The best craftsmen among us make paint polishing look easy.

The average guy looks at a craftsman and says, "What talent! You have mastered the ART of polishing paint!"

I believe that is incorrect and discounts years of effort put forth by an individual.

Instead, I say that the paint polisher that has honed his craft is indeed a craftsman.

However- craftsmen that love their work and maintain the desire to make themselves better every time are not just craftsmen.

THEY ARE ARTISTS.

Great talent, fantastic job.

Then:

Oh man, drama from the artist directly...

With all due respect, let me put this in layman`s terms, my friend...

Two "art class" graduates attend their first car show.

They see two cars side by side. The first is a Porsche 959 (best car ever made) with a placard giving a guy named Kevin Brown credit for polishing the paint on this pitbull of a car.

"This Kevin guy is deep. Notice how perfectly all those squiggly little lines match up and intersect... It`s like he`s trying to tell us that, although the car is beautiful, it is only a car. But using only his polishing machine and rudimentary support tools, he is able to relay his passion for mankind, and he is using the car`s paint as a canvas which represents the earth, and the squiggly lines represent man, and when mankind works together and criss-crosses paths while working towards one common goal, the earth is a better place."

Next, they see a Bentley with a placard giving Todd credit for polishing the paint on this jewel of a car.

"Sure, I get that, too. But this new age art using electricity and all... it`s not for me. Too noisy, anyway, and imagine the carbon footprint. No, REAL art is done by hand. I saw a guy back in 1974, NO!, 1971... yes, and he had created a bee-U-tiful pattern similar to that on the Porsche, YET- it was all done using only the man`s hands, a swatch of soft material, some green can of pasty substance, and nothing else. I watched that guy sweating and swearing and throwing things- he had to drink something like 12 beers just to rehydrate and energize his body. That, my friend, was art. I`ll bet this car was done by hand, too. It`s obvious to me that this Todd chap creates his art by hand. Todd`s artwork, as shown on this piece before us represents purity, simplicity, and creativity in a world that is otherwise complicated by technology. The fact that he used a Bentley further supports my thoughts on the matter."

"You are a fool."

No, you`re just too shallow to understand the creative heart."

An old codger overhearing this, cannot contain himself. He chimes in.

"Fellas, I don`t know a lot about art, but I know paint. And I know cars. And I am here to tell you it`s either right or wrong, black or white. Paint is either perfect, or it ain`t perfect. No gray area when it comes to doin` a job right. The paint on this car was done by a craftsman. It takes a whole lotta` practice to get paint to look like this.

That Por-shee... A real fool did that one.

Paint polishing is not art- it`s a craft.

As I just retorted... it`s either PERFECT or MESSED UP".

The two art graduates looked confused as the angry old man scuffled away over the horizon.

Kinda like y`all after readin` this silly and foolish made-up story.

The End.

I do believe that someone CAN be an artist and craftsman, though... :D

art 1 |Ãrt|

noun

1 the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

4 a skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice : the art of conversation.

artist |ˈÃrtist|

noun

• a person skilled at a particular task or occupation : a surgeon who is an artist with the scalpel.

craft |kraft|

noun

• a skilled activity or profession : the historian`s craft.

• skill in carrying out one`s work : a player with plenty of craft.

craftsman |ˈkraf(t)smən|

noun ( pl. -men)

• a person who is skilled in a particular craft.

• an artist.

Bill D
10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
"must essentially compete against oneself to achieve a better result every time.

This is me. I compete against myself. I haven`t seen it put in those words in a while,but yep, that`s me. It`s not one in the same with being hard on one`s self. I see competing with one`s self as a healthy thing, especially when it results in getting better every time :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
10-27-2011, 10:56 AM
With a tip o` the hat to his old codger, what Kevin Brown said :xyxthumbs

Guess it`s a matter of how one defines "art". I do not consider my detailing efforts to be art.

Bill D
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Just an outlet I get extremely enthusiastic about at times for me :D

RaskyR1
10-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Todd wears a silly french hat because he`s an artist! :tongue2: