PDA

View Full Version : Age and detailing

shirtman
10-25-2011, 07:52 AM
No, not your age, the age of the car :birthday:. Any guidelines about polish/sealants on a new vehicle? Been quite a while since I`ve had a new vehicle (last one was 1997). Kids have grown up out of school and are on their own, and I can finally afford a new one for the wife and I. Just bought a 2012 Odyssey and want to start it off right. I have UNO and Poxy, as well as some leftover Nitro Seal which still seems to be kicking (although about 2 months old now?) Anyway, I am anticipating that I should be protecting for the winter, and will need to probably do some small corrections based upon dealer prep.

Anyone have any current info on new vehicle paint and sealants? Although I don`t have it yet (maybe Thursday) I know it just got off the truck from Alabama, so the thing hasn`t been painted for long. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Very Much!

Jeff

lostdaytomorrow
10-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Don`t let the dealer prep it. Tell them to leave all protective plastic etc. On the car and do it all yourself. They will undoubtedly screw the paint up. It`s been baked at the Honda paint factory so you`re fine to wash, and decon and clay and polish and protect it right when you get it.

Accumulator
10-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Leaving aside old-tech paints from back in the day, IMO the only diff between a brand-new vehicle and a used/older one is that the paint will (hopefully!) be in much better condition. I`d just do a decontamination and paint cleaner, and then FK1000P it, or maybe do the OptiCoat thing.

Nth Degree
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Don`t let the dealer prep it. Tell them to leave all protective plastic etc. On the car and do it all yourself. They will undoubtedly screw the paint up. It`s been baked at the Honda paint factory so you`re fine to wash, and decon and clay and polish and protect it right when you get it.

Good advice. If you decide to go the Opti-coat route do it right away. If you go the standard route a basic clay/mild polish/seal is all that is necessary. I always try to discourage people who want significant correction done on a brand new car unless the lot attendants at the dealership caused significant marring. You only get so many corrections from the paint. Better to wait until a year or so when there is more to correct and make it worth it. That also gives you a good idea whether your maintenance routine will sustain a perfect finish.