PDA

View Full Version : Detail spray / wax comparison: Griots, Adams, FK425, Souveran, 3D, Megs, ONR, aquawax

extrabolts
10-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Follow-on post comparing some detail sprays and spray waxes. I bought these in response to recommendations in this thread: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/137607-need-recommendation-spray-drying-aid-slick-detail-spray-spray-wax.html

The contenders: FK425, Griots speed shine, Adams detail spray, 3d final touch, megs ultimate quick detailer, ONR at detail spray strength, pinnacle sourveran liquid spray wax, duragloss aquawax, griot’s spray wax.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/members/extrabolts-albums305-3738.jpg

The first test car had been sitting in a parking garage for a few weeks – just light surface dust, making it a good time to try the detail sprays out.

Detail Sprays

Out of the detail sprays, FK425 is the best. It is the slickest and smells nice. I’m very happy with it. Adam’s detail spray and Griot’s speed shine were also nice to work with – both left the surface very slick and also smell good. Final touch does leave the surface slick, but I’ve noticed some streaking previously at full strength – it does not streak much when diluted 1:1, but then it loses some of the slickness. Megs ultimate quick detail did not leave the surface noticeably slicker, nor did ONR. ONR seems to be more for cleaning than a drying aid to add slickness.

Spray Waxes

After quick detailing the car, I turned to the spray waxes. I tried Pinnacle Souveran spray wax, Griot’s spray wax, and Duragloss AquaWax - all on a dry car. All were very easy to use – spray on and wipe, I did not notice any hazing or streaking. I think Griot`s and Aquawax were my favorites. Today I washed a SUV and used Griots on half and Aquawax on half when the car was still wet. They added slickness and left the surface feeling "just waxed." And, they worked perfectly into my routine without any added effort - just spray on after washing and dry as normal. I’m glad I got a gallon of AquaWax and Griot`s spray wax - both are very similar products that I will use at every wash from here out.

Summary

After I use up some of these products, I’ll probably use FK425 almost exclusively as my detail spray in conjunction with AquaWax or Griot’s spray wax when drying. No hazing, no extra effort, no streaking - just a nice slick finish.

mikenap
10-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Aquawax sometimes feels slicker the next day. Nice test, and nice collection too!

Accumulator
10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
extrabolts- I always find this topic interesting, thanks for your take on those products.

So you like the Griot`s Spray Wax better than the SpeedShine or FK425 for "drying aid" duty? I`ve never tried the Spray Wax :think:

KneeDragr
10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
You and I think alike. FK425 and Griots Spray wax are my 2 favorites as well. Both work and smell great!

extrabolts
10-23-2011, 01:11 PM
extrabolts- I always find this topic interesting, thanks for your take on those products.

So you like the Griot`s Spray Wax better than the SpeedShine or FK425 for "drying aid" duty? I`ve never tried the Spray Wax :think:

I`m not sure the spray wax actually aids in drying, but from the standpoint of adding slickness and being very easy to use, I really like it. For $15 to try 35 oz of it out, I`d recommend it. I did have the feeling while using it that I was just filling my drying towel with wax, but I couldn`t dispute the way the finish felt when I was done.

lostdaytomorrow
10-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I really like fk425 for onr 2nd pass drying step with a plush MF. I have noticed the lsp on the paint actually causes the QDs and QWs to behave differently.

Dan
10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Nice writeup. If you haven`t already, you should try Optimum Instant Detailer. My favorite by a long shot. I keep trying to find something better, but I can`t.