PDA

View Full Version : What type of wax for a vehicle wrap?

Pages : [1] 2

jbankO
10-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I`ve got a fully wrap vehicle (glossy not a flat wrap). Curious on what kind of wax you guys would recommend for the vinyl wrap?

autoobsessed
10-21-2011, 06:11 PM
I`ve got a fully wrap vehicle (glossy not a flat wrap). Curious on what kind of wax you guys would recommend for the vinyl wrap?

We use Chemical Guys Clear Seal on wrapped cars, works very well even on the Matte Vinyls. The product is designed for clear bra`s, vinyls and contain a UV protection agent. Overall excellent product.

David Fermani
10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Any wax or sealant should work just fine IMO.

Juan@Turbo Wax
10-21-2011, 08:04 PM
a good spray wax will work very good

C. Charles Hahn
10-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Ask the wrap company what type of vinyl they used and if there are any solvent-exposure restrictions that would affect how you protect it/what you protect it with.

lostdaytomorrow
10-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Haven`t seen many glossy wraps, could you post a pic of your ride?

Beccia
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Ask the wrap company what type of vinyl they used and if there are any solvent-exposure restrictions that would affect how you protect it/what you protect it with.

I`d think this would apply to anything that could potentially contact the vinly wrap, i.e. shampoos/soaps, APC, tarminator, clay lube/qD, etc..

SpoolinNoMore
10-24-2011, 11:11 AM
I`d use a pure sealant like Opti-Seal and not think twice about it honestly.

Scottwax
10-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Easiest solution (assuming you use ONR): just add an ounce of Optimum Car Wax to ONR when you wash.

imported_agentf1
10-26-2011, 07:35 AM
I would stay away from anything that contains dyes. A good clear wax will work. I have also used Zaino on my Clear Bra`s for years with no issues. I also use Clear Seal from CG for regular maintenance and to remove bugs.

X-Pel also sells a sealant made specifically for their Clear Bra`s which works well.

C. Charles Hahn
10-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I would stay away from anything that contains dyes. A good clear wax will work. I have also used Zaino on my Clear Bra`s for years with no issues. I also use Clear Seal from CG for regular maintenance and to remove bugs.

X-Pel also sells a sealant made specifically for their Clear Bra`s which works well.

He said a (presumably vinyl) wrapped vehicle... not a clear bra. If it has color graphics, the rules change depending on what sort of dyes were used to print the wrap, how the graphics were printed or impregnated into the material, etc. That`s why it would be best to consult the company who did the wrapping -- assuming there`s a warranty on their work, it would suck to void it because you applied a wax or sealant that caused damage.

lostdaytomorrow
10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Easiest solution (assuming you use ONR): just add an ounce of Optimum Car Wax to ONR when you wash.

No kidding, does this actually work? Does optimum endorse this technique?

SuperBee364
10-27-2011, 09:29 AM
No kidding, does this actually work? Does optimum endorse this technique? Many detailing products are used for off label purposes with great results. I`d take Scott`s advice over a product label or company endorsement any time.

SpoolinNoMore`s Opti-Seal suggestion sounds great, too, IMO.

lostdaytomorrow
10-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Many detailing products are used for off label purposes with great results. I`d take Scott`s advice over a product label or company endorsement any time.

SpoolinNoMore`s Opti-Seal suggestion sounds great, too, IMO.

Cool, good to know, I am going to try it this weekend!! Sounds awesome!

Scottwax
10-27-2011, 03:34 PM
No kidding, does this actually work? Does optimum endorse this technique?

Yes, works fine, noticeable improvement in slickness and depth. Mentioned it to Dave at Optimum, he said he`d have to try that with his own truck.