PDA

View Full Version : Pad type for cleaner wax?

viper92283
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
What type of pad should I use with cleaner wax and a DA polisher? I currrently have Griots orange polishing and red waxing pads.

wascallyrabbit
10-19-2011, 05:43 PM
try the orange on a test spot and see if you like the results, also try a test spot with the red and see how you like that.

griots says the orange is a cutting pad, but i find it to more like a polishing pad not a true cutting pad.

viper92283
10-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your reply! :D

autoaesthetica
10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I would agree. The mechanical action of the pad should afford you a considerable difference compared to something like just a waxing pad. We do this many times with AIO(essentially cleaner waxes on roids) and many of us get great results with anything with more bite than just a waxing pad.

Accumulator
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I`m a *BIG* fan of the Griot`s orange pad for cleaner-waxes/AIOs/etc. :xyxthumbs

Noting that I don`t work on stupid-soft clear, it`s my overall favorite pad for that particular job.

But as a "cutting pad"?!? Nah...back when I used Griot`s Machine Polishes I had to use different pads to get any serious correction. Note that back before they got that orange pad made up for them, they used to sell the usual yellow/white/etc. range, and those worked OK...well, OK for the "big pad on a PC" approach.

Dan
10-20-2011, 12:41 PM
That all depends, most consider a cleaner wax to be a wax with a high solvent/chemical cleaner content and no abrasives. IMO KAIO falls in this group. An AIO will have abrasives, examples ZAIO, FK215, D151.

A polishing pad (lake white) is perfect IF you are using an AIO (mild to med abrasives).

The red pad for a true cleaner wax (no abrasives).

Accumulator
10-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Dan- I do tend to lump a lot of products together into this category, but eh, I just like that Griot`s pad for all such stuff regardless. Yeah, really...if I`m using a 3" or ~6" pad for anything remotely like this that`s the pad I reach for. And I mean anything from 1Z PP (hey, it does leave wax behind) to any product that cleans and leaves "wax"/etc. behind including KAIO.

IME that pad`s mild enough to not cause issues (on my paints) and I like the way it`s more "open"/porous than the finishing pads that any people prefer instead. Doesn`t seem to load up the way my finishing/waxing pads do (including my red ones). Guess it`s just another of my (possibly wacky) personal preferences :D

lostdaytomorrow
11-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey Viper, did you end up using the red or orange and how were your results?