PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner wax substitute for polish?

Pages : [1] 2

viper92283
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
My silver paint is in good condition with minimal swirls. Therefore can the same results of polishing be achieved with cleaner wax instead? -THANKS

tom p.
10-13-2011, 02:15 PM
You will get some correction with a typical cleaner/wax - - it may be all you need.. It will be up to you to decide if it`s

`good enough`.

Welcome aboard, Viper !

viper92283
10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks for your help! :dance:

Dan
10-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Same results, no. Minor correction yes depending on which cleaner wax. Some like KAIO are functionally non abrasive. In fact I can`t recall any off the shelf cleaner wax that I would say did any sort of correction. You have to step up into the AIO (all-in-one range) to really get some correction and there are no real AIOs readily available at your regular parts type stores.

bill57
10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I think there are "cleaner wax" products on the market that you will find satisfactory for providing a reflective surface. But you won`t get much durability from them.

VR8
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
A cleaner wax like Meguiar`s Paint Reconditioning Cream (#D151) has about the same correction ability as their finishing polish D205. The benefit of the cleaner wax is of course you have some wax left behind to protect the surface. It`s good stuff for a quick or temporary fix.

imported_MCA
10-14-2011, 10:35 AM
The separation line between "cleaner wax" and "AIO" is pretty blurry. I typically think of cleaner waxes as a protectant with minor cleaning (mostly chemical) abilities. While AIOs are chemical/abrasive polishes that also leave a small amount of protectant - Sounds similar but there is a difference. With that said, most cleaner waxes that I have tried just don`t have the abrasive power to remove swirls - However, some such as Meg`s NXT have the ability to hide some slight marring. Of course, this function is short-lived as the hiding ingredients typically wash off after a storm.

The aforementioned Meg`s D151 is a great AIO product but it`s available mostly in gallon containers - I believe ADS sells them in 32 oz squeeze bottles. ColorX is another AIO product available over-the-counter that has some correction ability based on the pad used.

tom p.
10-14-2011, 11:01 AM
A cleaner wax like Meguiar`s Paint Reconditioning Cream (#D151) has about the same correction ability as their finishing polish D205.

Great suggestion, and I hadn`t even thought of that one.

I`ve done some aggressive polishing with my PC (using D151) on the bumper of a car. I was stunned by its ability to almost completely remove multiple damaged areas. Seeing was believing in this case!

viper92283
10-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! :dance:

autoaesthetica
10-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Depends on the condition of the surface. A cleaner wax(via its cleaning ability) can provide some fairly nice true correction on a very exposed surface that has the top most layers oxidized, assuming this is the depth of the swirlmarks as well. :)

apoirier594
10-16-2011, 08:41 AM
I had the same basic question..I have a black truck with swirls from past owner and I don`t own a PC yet..I usually apply megs over counter cleaner wax then NXT. Makes the paint look good but doesn`t last for long. So what`s a good product to replace or layer? I was thinking about applying pinnacle Sig. II on top of those..how long is protection? Or what`s the best wax for long protection? I am doing mobile detailing and would like to use a good wax for customers. I also would order professional products online. Thanks

akimel
10-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I had the same basic question..I have a black truck with swirls from past owner and I don`t own a PC yet..I usually apply megs over counter cleaner wax then NXT. Makes the paint look good but doesn`t last for long. So what`s a good product to replace or layer? I was thinking about applying pinnacle Sig. II on top of those..how long is protection? Or what`s the best wax for long protection? I am doing mobile detailing and would like to use a good wax for customers. I also would order professional products online. Thanks

Given that you wish to provide your customers relatively durable protection (while, I presume, also saving some pennies), I suggest that you take a look at Duragloss products, especially DG 105 and DG 501. The latter is an AIO synthetic sealant, with good cleaning power. The former will give your customers solid durable protection. Both are economically priced. Other products to consider are Collinite 845, Finish Kare 1000p, and Meguiar`s M20 Polymer Sealant. (M20 also has mild cleaning power.) I honestly do not see good reason for a professional like yourself to use the more expensive boutique carnauba waxes. Your customers will not notice the difference, though they may notice the extra durability that the sealants provide.

extrabolts
10-16-2011, 03:36 PM
If you use it by hand like a wax, I`d expect only surface decontamination and filling, not any real swirl removing. If you are going to use it by machine, at that point I`d just go ahead and use a polish.

ILuvDetailing
10-21-2011, 12:59 AM
I don`t think a regular cleaner wax would have paint correction properties even when used with a machine, it has cleaning properties which is great for a white car (if you own one). But check the instruction to double check. Be careful with the polish, you don`t want to overdo it and take away the clear. A light to moderate grade polish should be enough and just layer it with a sealant a wax can fill up the swirls.

Dan
10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
A cleaner wax like Meguiar`s Paint Reconditioning Cream (#D151) has about the same correction ability as their finishing polish D205. The benefit of the cleaner wax is of course you have some wax left behind to protect the surface. It`s good stuff for a quick or temporary fix.

D151 is a cleaner wax like a chainsaw is a knife...lol. IMO it is the strongest AIO there is period.