PDA

View Full Version : How often are people resorting to Colour /Wet Sanding.

Pages : [1] 2

Woody Wax
10-13-2011, 06:46 AM
I interested to know how often people are resorting to Colour/Wet sanding, even on those jobs that are not true or full corrections?

I find myself reaching for sand paper or discs more and more these days even when it`s not covered in the cost or price, nothing worse than seeing that one mark or scratch tormenting you as you work.

Cheers Daniel

Jean-Claude
10-13-2011, 07:40 AM
I am with you. Spending 20 minutes wet sanding a single small area on a major paint overhaul isn`t a big deal.

C. Charles Hahn
10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Sometimes you don`t have a choice... other times it just makes things faster/easier.

Brad B
10-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Be sure to get good quality, high grit, sandpaper. And invest in some of the 3M foam and rubber backing pads. They make a HUGE difference in the quality of your sanding and the ability to easily polish it back out.

SpoolinNoMore
10-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Amen, I reach for 2000 grit pretty often. At times the defects *may* be removed by several compounding steps, but you`re just saving your arms/pads/product by knowing when wet sanding is just a more viable option.

Woody Wax
10-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the replies,

Lol I just needed to hear that it`s not just me. It just makes me feel better about having to do my own tomorrow

I mean I do understand that in some cases it is just a matter of course, but as I mentioned I find it easier and in my case get a better result quicker than extra mutable compounding steps on a relatively small area or areas.

Cheers Daniel

autoaesthetica
10-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Lately I have needed to sand more. Going around for inspection and measuring thickness. I have been sanding first(pending initial polishing if it will require multiple sets with enough material), that way it pops out like "HELLO HERE IT IS" so I know exactly where I need to remove it, and second the sanding marks are a constant reminder of where i am at.

Plus, hell, you can`t argue with the speed of removal - even if its only "rounding down" something that you couldn`t completely eliminate.

Woody Wax
10-14-2011, 11:13 PM
It`s probally not nessasery to explain on this site, however for those interested.

These are the types of scratches I was refering to.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/WoodyWax/HD/DSC_0985-1.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/WoodyWax/HD/DSC_0986-1.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/WoodyWax/HD/DSC_0987-1.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff452/WoodyWax/HD/DSC_0994-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers Daniel

lostdaytomorrow
10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
I`m just a weekend warrior without a PTG and I`d only do wet sanding with a PTG so I haven`t ever done it. Wish I could afford a PTG though.

Accumulator
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
lostdaytomorrow- Something to consider (from a guy who got by without an ETG for a good long time ;) ) is that with the right aproach, wetsanding can be *safer* than aggressive compounding. With the paper you can go one stroke at a time, over a small area, with a very gentle grit; with an aggressive compound (even "just" M105 on a harsh pad) you`re doing a whole lotta work over a pretty big area every time you turn the thing on. And by-hand wetsanding doesn`t generate the sort of heat that foam pads do.

I`m just posting this because some people who`d never touch sandpaper don`t hesitate to use M105/aggressive foam pad combos.

Bill D
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Bear in mind also that there are higher grit sandpapers than 2000. I have up to 12,000 Micromesh stuff. It feels like suede or velvet. Generally when I`ve done higher than 2000, I`ve gone with 4000 or 6000 and worked my way up, most of the finishing with a light polish like M205 or PO85RD. I`ve taken this approach in tight spots such as around emblems. It allows for correction in a more controlled area.

Accumulator
10-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Bill D- Eh, I gotta try my extra mild sanding media some time. Sheesh, I haven`t even looked at that stuff for ages, it`s just sitting there. I *think* I have the same "super-fine" assortment that you do, but I can`t remember for certain.

JohnKleven
10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
It`s much safer to wetsand at times. Sometimes compounding too hard, and producing too much heat will cause the paint to fly off the car.

Darkstar752
10-17-2011, 01:40 PM
It`s much safer to wetsand at times. Sometimes compounding too hard, and producing too much heat will cause the paint to fly off the car.

+1 to this, if you know what you`re doing it can be safer, faster, and more efficient.

MusicMan
10-22-2011, 04:10 PM
So for those of you who replied with a `yes` (basically all of you lol), what do you find yourself reaching for more...a disc or a sheet of 3000 to do an area?

I`ve been one who has been a little reluctant to try it on paint but...its time to give it a go. I have up to 3000 Uni-grit paper from megs (sheets) for hand sanding

but only up to 1500 for discs. Ive seen a TON of `wetsanding how to videos and write ups` but hard to tell whats safe and whats not.

If anyone has a link to a good write up or video (preferably a video) for me to check out just to get my last `lesson` in before trying it i`d appreciate it.