PDA

View Full Version : Polished wheel cleaning and polishing

Dime
10-11-2011, 09:47 AM
I have polished (not painted, not chromed) a-molds on my 1991 zr-1. Regular car soap and elbow grease aren`t enough to get them looking as good as I`d like; break dust and what looks like water spots. Corrosion maybe?

Any suggestions? I want to stay away from anything with chemicals, I`ve heard of polished wheels being discolored

from chemicals.

forrest@mothers
10-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Using an improper chemical can stain a polished rim. Seek one out that`s made for polished aluminum.

It sounds like you need to polish the rims as well. Find a good aluminum polish to restore the shine and remove the spots.

Ron Ketcham
10-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Forrest, even after all my years of the business, go out today, to my retirement shop and you will find Mother`s Alum/Mag polish.

Use it on my Honda Shadow wheels, old motorcycle parts of one`s I restore for people, etc.

I can get it at two of the parts stores in this little burg and that is just a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Grumpy

rdorman
10-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Mother`s is my go two aluminum polish as well. Used it to years on various aluminum bits and wheels. If it doesn`t handle the job then it is out with the grinder/buffer and a long day of pain and compounds....

MSOsr
10-12-2011, 07:44 PM
If your polished wheel is clear coated, should you just use an appropriate compound to get minor scratches out and then follow with a sealant? I thought Mother`s was for polished unclearcoated wheels, where you actually polish the wheel, not remove defects.

Mike (used Mother`s on his HREs but won`t on his Cadillac CTS-V polished wheels)

Dan
10-12-2011, 08:03 PM
If your polished wheel is clear coated, should you just use an appropriate compound to get minor scratches out and then follow with a sealant? I thought Mother`s was for polished unclearcoated wheels, where you actually polish the wheel, not remove defects.

OP said his wheels are polished. And Forrest is being modest, Mothers makes some of the best wheel polish out there.

forrest@mothers
10-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I read this post as meaning the rims were polished and not coated. Hopefully the OP will confirm that.

If they`re NOT coated, a proper wheel cleaner marketed to a polished rim would be appropriate, as would an aluminum polish to restore the shine. If they ARE coated, there are more wheel cleaner options, and they should then be polished with an appropriate polish - we recommend a plastic polish, but others here have mentioned paint products.

Dan
10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
I read this post as meaning the rims were polished and (not) coated. Hopefully the OP will confirm that.

If they`re NOT coated, a proper wheel cleaner marketed to a polished rim would be appropriate, as would an aluminum polish to restore the shine. If they ARE coated, there are more wheel cleaner options, and they should then be polished with an appropriate polish - we recommend a plastic polish, but others here have mentioned paint products.

Why a plastic polish vs a paint polish?

forrest@mothers
10-14-2011, 08:45 AM
Our experience has been the plasticized urethane responds better to a plastic polish than a paint product. Granted, these rims are 20 years old, so the clear is likely distressed a bit, and a more aggressive product may be needed - but I always try to err on the mild side.