PDA

View Full Version : Best MF Towels for ONR

Pages : [1] 2

amcdonal86
10-07-2011, 12:40 PM
I bet there are other threads on just this subject, but I thought I`d ask anyway--what towels are best to use for ONR? I have been using Costco MF towels for a while now, and I`ve come to the conclusion that many of this board already have, which is that they are no good. Even with no LSP they are always leaving what appear to be fine scratches behind (maybe it`s in the wax?).

To give you a little background, I took delivery of my 2012 Mustang about a month ago and have not had a chance yet to polish and wax it to get rid of the brush marks that the dealership put on it when prepping the car.

So anyhow, I suspect this is an issue with my MF towels, since I am using the same grout sponges everyone else seems to be using. What towels are best for this? I`m not a millionaire so it would be nice to have towels that are relatively cheap (maybe a dollar or two each?) but that I can get a few uses out of. I typically just threw the Costco MF towels away after each use.

Scottwax
10-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Look for 500-600 gram weight 16 x 16 MF towels. They have nice thick nap, work great with ONR.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I use Euro Wow shag towels for ONR

C. Charles Hahn
10-07-2011, 06:25 PM
The Costco MFs really are junk... I have always used ProForce MFs from Sam`s and never run into problems with them.

DM101
10-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Check Chemical Guys for 500 + G/M2 check out Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies : CHEMICAL GUYS WHOLESALE AUTO DETAILING SUPPLIES CAR WASH PRODUCTS PROFESSIONAL CAR DETAIL SUPPLY FACTORY DIRECT (http://www.chemicalguys.com/category_s/99.htm)

SATracker
10-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I like AutoGeek Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave by Cobra 20 X 40; absolutely no issues with them.

wascallyrabbit
10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
i agree with scott on the 500-600 gram ones. a couple that i like are the pak shak, corba purple ones, and the eurow shag (one thing i don`t like about them is they are 12 x 16 not 16 x 16). there are other out there. walmart is supposed to have a nice one tom p posted about it. before buying a lot of any one brand i would sample a few from different places and find the one you like.

Bunky
10-09-2011, 07:04 AM
I like mf mitts at the moment for ONR for washing and various towels for drying (use at least two: initial wipe, final wipe).

lostdaytomorrow
10-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Get the silk lined 16x16 plush MFs.

tom p.
10-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I use Euro Wow shag towels for ONR

I`ve tried some different types. I think this Eurow deep-pile (or similar) are the safest, at least for me :)

tonipieleanu
10-26-2011, 03:44 AM
Zymol or Uber sponges for me. I feel that the MF doesn`t rinse very well with ONR.

I`ve used MF noodle mitts, MF covered sponges and MF pads and all had the same problem :(

jmsc
10-26-2011, 08:25 AM
tonipieleanu:

I like sponges also at least initially. Then wipe up with MF.

What about the grout sponges from Home Depot/Lowes? Have you ever tried those with ONR?

Dan
10-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I prefer the MF wrapped sponges for ONR washing. Target has decent ones for very cheap. I like the fact that they are white, its easy to see dirt on them.

imported_MCA
10-26-2011, 09:54 AM
I gave another chance to ONR this past weekend and was completely blown away by the improvements that Optimum have made (I used the original version when it first came out and was not impressed). I tried various high-plush, high-density towels and found that the Chemical Guys Sasquatch towels (http://www.chemicalguys.com/SASQUATCH_MAXIMUS_HAIR_RAISING_MAXIMUM_STASH_MICRO _p/mic_1901_1.htm) were perfect for the job. In all honesty, I was not happy with their performance in other detailing tasks as they are "too plush" and the strands are "too long" - It made buffing off waxes/polishes a chore and they absorbed too much QD. With that said, I think these attributes are what made them so good for my "unrefined" ONR technique - I did use a lot of ONR solution (more so than what I have seen/read here), but I did not see any new marring during my post-wash inspection.

lostdaytomorrow
10-26-2011, 12:22 PM
Oh for using ONR I use the white microfiber sponges from target. Picked up like 10 on clearance for 2 bucks each I while back. They last quite a while In My experience. I also use grout sponges as well depending on if the vehicle is slick enough or not.