PDA

View Full Version : Would love some product recommendations.

imported_enyceexdanny
10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey guys. I`ve been browsing this forum for quite some time, but just managed to create an account.

I know this probably has been asked many many times, but I would appreciate your patience and help.

Since I`ve never had daily access to a garage, I`ve gotten my car washed at hand carwashes most of the time. I recently purchased a new car, and today at my local hand carwash place - they did such a terrible job leaving a bunch of swirl marks and fine lines on my black paint. So now I`ve decided that I`m just going to bring my car in to a self-wash lot and just do it myself.

With that said, I would like some recommendations for some top quality items that will help me wash the car without creating too much swirls and fine scratches.

Here`s what I have so far.

================================================== =

Wash soap: Meguiar`s G-12664 NXT Generation Car Wash

Wash mitt: Meguiar`s X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt

Drying towel: pakshak MICROPAK 25" x 36" Ultra-Soft Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel

Applicator (for wax/polish etc): Meguiar`s X3080 EvenCoat Applicator

Leather care: Lexol

Wheel Care: Meguiar`s G-9524 Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner.

Wheel Brush: Mothers Wheel Brush

Tire Shine: Mothers 20324 FX Tire Shine

Wax: Meguiar`s NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

I`m sure I`m missing things. Would appreciate if you can help me add to the list.

Thanks in advance!

autoaesthetica
10-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Are you purchasing from Pakshak? We can help based on whatever your select vendor stocks.

I would drop the evencoat applicators and get something like microfiber. We are regional dist up here in NY and have expressed many times how still "meh" they are for certain types of paint. No change on them yet :(.

Pick up a couple of grit guards, and some smaller plush drying towels with quick detailer of your choice. That way you don`t have to(and shouldnt be) chase every last drip of water.

HotRims is good, just be aware its mildly acidic, which is fine if your wheels are stained, but not awesome for regular use.

Not to build that list anymore, but a spray wax will help with drying(if you have a substantial sealant or wax already) and add protection each time you apply. Consider that as the easier it is to wash, the less chance of adding any more swirls in.

imported_enyceexdanny
10-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Hey autoaesthetica, thanks a bunch for your super fast reply!

I have no specific place to order. Just looking around on Amazon and around the web at random online shops. And I have no problem building on that list, as I would like to have all the products ready for use.

Which spray wax would you recommend? And is there a shop where I can get all the quality products at once? I`d rather not place orders at multiple places.

And sorry if this sounds stupid, but what are grit guards?

EDIT: you mean this? The Grit Guard, grit guard insert, bucket grate, car wash bucket grid, (http://www.autogeek.net/gg1010.html)

togwt
10-06-2011, 03:20 AM
Take a look at the `Detailing Guide` section you might get some ideas from there

DM101
10-06-2011, 04:32 AM
You need a polish and a new sealant. I like UNO and POXY. High Definition - Pro Line Products | Car Paint Protection – 3DProducts (http://www.3dproducts.com/34/) A couple of nice MF towels Microfiber Towels for Car Detailing, Drying & Cleaning | 3D Products (http://www.3dproducts.com/Micro-Fiber-Jumbo-Green-27-x-36.html) Use The Poxy on your Rims. Your other products are OK. If you decide to get a polisher Porter Cable 7424xp Polisher Dual Action Polisher - Porter Cable 7424XP for New Look of Your Car (http://www.3dproducts.com/Porter-Cable-7424xp-Polisher.html) You will need pads 3D Car Care; Car Wash, Car Wax, Auto Detailing supplies, Car Polishers, Car Buffers & accessories store (http://www.3dproducts.com/53/) Tried to keep your shopping all in one place.

Ch96067
10-06-2011, 11:53 AM
There are 2 ways of looking at this for me.

1) If you think of going down the polishing route, then there are a lot of things someone could add to the list (endless in fact :) ). No subsitute for reading and personal search in this case.

2) You want to maintain the finish through washing as much as possible without adding more abuse. In that case, things are somewhat easier. I leave out the items I have no opinion on. Cannot stress enough as all the wise people here say, it is more about technique than products. Search for it.

Wash soap: Meguiar`s G-12664 NXT Generation Car Wash / FK118, Dodo Juice Born to be mild, CG citrus wash.

Wash mitt: Meguiar`s X3002 Microfiber Wash Mitt / I would look for a lambswool mitt instead.

Drying towel: pakshak MICROPAK 25" x 36" Ultra-Soft Waffle Weave Micro Fiber Towel / WW is good. Buy at least 12 normal and buffing 16x16 mfs. Eurows and Cobra work for me. Also get something for final buffing glass.

Applicator (for wax/polish etc): Meguiar`s X3080 EvenCoat Applicator / I have these too. Rarely use them on the exterior, as I use foam apps a lot more. Ebay etc have very cheap packs of foam apps.

Wheel Care: Meguiar`s G-9524 Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. / Wolf`s break duster, bilberry are nice alternatives

Wax: Meguiar`s NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 / S100 to keep you cost low and your looks high :).

I would also add a tire brush BTW.

imported_enyceexdanny
10-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I`m with number 2. I rarely have the chance to spend time in a garage or even a driveway with running water, so I`m just looking to wash my car regularly without causing swirls and/or other imperfections to the car. I really wish I had my own garage so I can detail my own car, but that`s not the case. For my detailing, I just go to a well respected detailer every so often.

I want to wash my car with products that will protect it between the details.

Thanks for your replies so far!