PDA

View Full Version : Sealing BMW rims - Cquartz?

dschribs
10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Well, after owning my first BMW for about 10 days now (2008 328 XI) - I have quickly realized that I am going to need to do something to help keep brake dust at bay. In the past I have used 845 on most wheels but I`m thinking there has to be something more effective given the degree of break dust that these wheels collect after only a few days.

Has anyone tried a product called Cquartz to seal their wheels?? I saw it over on the AG forum and there are a few people over there that seem to really like it. Made by the same co that makes ironX.

I was also thinking of trying Armour All`s spray on wheel "coating" but it looks like this Cquartz stuff might last much longer.

My ultimate goal is getting the brake dust to wash off easier so I don`t have to resort to using Meg`s Wheel Brightener every week. I used P21S wheel cleaner (not the gel) this past weekend and it simply didn`t do the trick. I needed to step up to the Meg`s & that was only after one week of driving. Since it`s so harsh, I`d prefer not to use it for regular maintenance if I don`t have to.

These are the wheels I have on the car (not my car...)

http://images.autojager.com/pictures/53658656.jpg

TroyScherer
10-04-2011, 11:25 AM
I have applied 2 coats of CQ to my wife`s Jetta nearly 6 months ago. So far I am happy with the results. I makes the wheels much easier to clean with only regular wash soap and water. In my opinion it doesn`t really stop the build-up of break dust but it does make it much easier to clean. I have a review / install thread over on AF with more info.

Link to my review on AF:

Product Review: CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/detailing-product-reviews/30991-product-review-cquartz-ceramic-quartz-paint-protection.html)

On a side note I have some Opti-Gaurd coming and am going to be coating my wheels with that. After doing all of my research I think OC / OG is a better choice for wheels as it is more "permanent" where as CQ is a more of a super sealant with approx.. 2 years of durability reportedly.

rdorman
10-06-2011, 11:31 AM
When it is time to do the brakes (or now if you like), Akebono Euro Ceramics. I love them on my 740.

Alfisti
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
After doing all of my research I think OC / OG is a better choice for wheels as it is more "permanent" where as CQ is a more of a super sealant with approx.. 2 years of durability reportedly.

I was thinking the same thing.

Is CQ solvent-proof like OC?

Brad B
10-06-2011, 12:09 PM
As mentioned, life will be much easier with pads that dust less. Not only does it clean easier but it looks better MUCH longer between washes. There are several different brands that work well. That`s the first, and best, thing I did when I got my Audi, whose brakes dust as bad as your BMW.

wascallyrabbit
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
As mentioned, life will be much easier with pads that dust less. Not only does it clean easier but it looks better MUCH longer between washes. There are several different brands that work well. That`s the first, and best, thing I did when I got my Audi, whose brakes dust as bad as your BMW.

what did you put on the audi. i putting carbotech on this weekend.

TroyScherer
10-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Is CQ solvent-proof like OC?

I`m not sure that CQ is totally solvent-proof. I know that it is solvent-resistant. Avi (the Head of CarPro) has said the IPA and other APC will not remove CQ in one use. But if hash chemicals are used on a regular basis the life of CQ will be diminished.

I have discussed this at length with some others and have come to my own conclusion about some of the new nano coatings. IMO OC / OG is truly a coating since it is like adding another layer of clear coat and the only way to remove it is abrasion. CQ, AQ, Nanolex, Wolfs, Nitro Seal, Permanon are more what I would consider "Super Sealants". They all offer better protection against the elements with a much better lifespan. But they fade away over time like current waxes and sealants.

Brad B
10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
what did you put on the audi. i putting carbotech on this weekend.

I did carbotechs as well. They are life changing! You will love NOT cleaning your wheels.

lostdaytomorrow
10-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Yup, ceramic pads are the answer to non-tracked cars with bad dusting problems.

mikenap
10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
OptiGuarding my wheels was one of the best things I`ve done since getting them. Brake dust, road tar, etc. just don`t grab hold like they do on non-coated wheels. Cleaning them is a breeze.

AkamaiDetailing
10-07-2011, 02:10 AM
I don`t know about Optiguard, but I use Rim Wax from Smart wax and have had fantastic results Much easier cleaning process and more importantly my customers say that their wheels stay cleaner longer when they come to me instead of going to the car wash or other detailers. Of course I charge extra, but it is touches like this that keep my customers coming back.

bmw
11-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I can speak for Armour All`s product...in that it works beautifully until it gets washed off. So not all a good long term solution.

lostdaytomorrow
11-07-2011, 09:11 PM
I think Finish Kare 1000p is a great choice for rims because it is made for high temperature applications.

spartacus_33
11-08-2011, 09:00 AM
The best thing you can do to address brake dust on a BMW is to change the pads. I`ve been happy with Hawk HPS pads on my 3 series, and recently put Stoptec street pads on my VW Jetta. Both offer a fraction of the dust compared with stock pads with equal, or better stopping power. I did not get great long term protection with C-Quarts considering the cost, but sure it helps for a while.

Lotuseffect
11-11-2011, 06:37 AM
I applied Cquartz to my GTIs rims and it has worked very well for me. It has been on since May and no appreciable notice of them not releasing brake dust as well as when it was first applied. However, my next purchase when these pads finally give up the ghost will be ceramic pads. VW brake dust is just ridiculous.