PDA

View Full Version : Help with 845 issue

Fallz
10-01-2011, 10:19 AM
When I applied (by hand ) with foam applicator on my black truck it comes out looking great , but after a little while I get a brownish gas ghosting . It does not come off going through a carwash but does come off using a detail spray with a cleaner it in like FK 146 .

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this . It would probably only be noticeable on black or a dark color.

My next try is to do it with a Megs yellow polish pad for the first pass and then do it with a finish pad to see if i get the ghosting back ...... any thoughts on that ??

SuperBee364
10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Interesting that you`re having this happen on a black GMC truck...

Had something similar happen using 845 on a black Jimmy last fall. The day following application, the truck owner came back and showed me several spots on the truck that looked, for lack of a better term..."cloudy". To avoid a rather long post, I`ll just say that all attempts to make it go away failed. I ended up re-polishing the truck with 205 and a black LC pad. Then, rather than putting 845 on the bare paint, I applied a base coat of Danase Wet Glaze (the original formula, not the new stuff) down prior to the 845. This did prevent the "cloudy" effect (which I`d never seen with 845 prior to this). Putting a glaze down prior to 845 may very well reduce 845`s legendary durability, though, so definitely something to keep in mind.

I kinda wonder if this "cloudiness" would appear visually as Accumulator`s "pseudo-holograms" on lighter colored paints, although I`ve never seen the pseudo-hologram effect with a single coat of collinite... only on two or more applications.

Accumulator
10-01-2011, 12:47 PM
SuperBee364- This might be one variation of those pseudo-holograms, one that I found especially annoying.

The Granite Metallic paint on my GMC Yukon XLD was maybe the biggest PIA of any paint I`ve ever lived with. I think the usual term for it is "sticky"; it seemed to have some kind of "product residue issues" with most anything I used on it, as if the oils from my polishes permeated the paint or somesuch. That was after most any IPA/Dawn/PrepWash/whatever clean up too. Simply drove me nuts. One of the reasons I sold it was because I never wanted to correct it again!

First time I dectailed it I just used 1Z WPS as a glaze. Were the issues merely concealed? Maybe, but at that point I didn`t care and that worked fine under Collinite. Nothing ever "came back" either. Sorta sounds similar to the DWG approach. My 1Z Pro MP worked the same way, but stuff like KAIO did not.

When I decided to use FK1000P on it I had to finish out with 1Z High Gloss intead of with M205, and I finally got things OK with lots of PrepWash and IPA (today I think I`d just wash it with "A"). That time KAIO did work for my penultimate product.

But on that paint I always had to use *something* before my LSP, even if it was just an AIO.

SuperBee364
10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
SuperBee364- This might be one variation of those pseudo-holograms, one that I found especially annoying.

The Granite Metallic paint on my GMC Yukon XLD was maybe the biggest PIA of any paint I`ve ever lived with. I think the usual term for it is "sticky"; it seemed to have some kind of "product residue issues" with most anything I used on it, as if the oils from my polishes permeated the paint or somesuch. That was after most any IPA/Dawn/PrepWash/whatever clean up too. Simply drove me nuts. One of the reasons I sold it was because I never wanted to correct it again!

First time I dectailed it I just used 1Z WPS as a glaze. Were the issues merely concealed? Maybe, but at that point I didn`t care and that worked fine under Collinite. Nothing ever "came back" either. Sorta sounds similar to the DWG approach. My 1Z Pro MP worked the same way, but stuff like KAIO did not.

When I decided to use FK1000P on it I had to finish out with 1Z High Gloss intead of with M205, and I finally got things OK with lots of PrepWash and IPA (today I think I`d just wash it with "A"). That time KAIO did work for my penultimate product.

But on that paint I always had to use *something* before my LSP, even if it was just an AIO.

Yeah, that`s exactly what this paint was doing. It just didn`t show up until all of the solvents had evaporated (the next day). Having the stuff permeate into the clear coat itself would certainly explain why it was only removable by an additional round of abrasive polishing.

Hopefully, the OP won`t get any return of his ghosting after the QD has had time to age a bit.

Bill D
10-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I have 845 on my wheels and this is the first car I`ve had that shows it strangely. When I look at the wheels at a certain angle, you can see how it is coated with 845-- the looks is like what oil in a parking lot looks like in rain puddles-that same color and effect can been seen on my wheels. Not a big issue but eventually I`ll probably put something else on those wheels. You cant see this on the A4`s wheels because they`re classic clear coated, painted aluminum wheels.

imported_sfds
10-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Could be the reaction to the polishing oil residue left over, or might be using too much 845. Use less product and make sure you spread it evenly on to the surface.

Fallz
10-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Just for the record I have tried 3 polish / cleaner waxes underneath and it happened with them all .

I did not have to re-polish to get it to go away though. I did notice (like an above poster said) that it did not appear until a couple days later .

I am a huge collinite fan because the shine is nice , but the durability is great . Thats what people want in Wisconsin , but this is unacceptable for my car or customers .

lostdaytomorrow
10-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I`ve had something like this with 476s on soft black paint. HUGE PITA that I couldn`t fix that one time. Thought it was humidity and i might have applied too Much wax.