PDA

View Full Version : SSR on front windshield

Pages : [1] 2

Wave
02-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I have a 98 Tacoma that has some really bad water spots on all the glass. (windshield, passenger/driver windows, review mirrors). I have tried some Diamond Clear stuff from Eastwood and that stuff didn’t put a dent in the spots. The spots have been there ever since I can remember (many years).

I have some SSR1 and 2.5 and I want to know if they are ok to use on the windshield and other glass. I searched and read about it possibly messing up the optics…any thoughts?

Thanks

Jngrbrdman
02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
It probably won`t do much good if the spots have been there for years. The glass is likely etched and a mild polish like SSR1 isn`t going to do much.

The thing that could cause issues with visibility would be a glaze, wax or sealant. Since SSRs are just polishes that polish paint and don`t leave any protectants behind, they should be safe to use on glass. ...probably ineffective for what you are going to try and use them for, but safe all the same.

You might want to try something like a rag soaked with warm vinegar. Lay that on an area with spots for about 5 minutes and see what it does. It may be necessary to use something really agressive like muratic acid to clean the spots. See what the vinegar does first. Spots on glass are usually a job for acids in my experience.

Wave
02-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely be giving that a shot. Before I owned the truck it was washed with hard well water for several years and the windshields were always “half-way” dried. (I know, because I did it :chair: )

Poorboy
02-28-2006, 08:36 AM
You can try the SSR2.5, it won`t do any harm but remember to work it thoroughly. You might need an acid as previously noted. :)

Wave
02-28-2006, 09:04 AM
When I try the SSR2.5 should I do it by hand or PC w/ a polishing pad?

Thanks for the replies

dylan

Poorboy
02-28-2006, 09:19 AM
I would use a cotton towel and put a drop into the towel, work it into the towel first and then apply it to the windshied...work small areas at a time and check your work.

Djmigs
02-28-2006, 02:34 PM
i could be wrong but if you tried that product from eastwood and it didnt work then i think you are either going to have to live with it or replace...but i hope that not the case and you polish it out...good luck

Way2SSlow
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I see a lot of etched and pitted glass here at work. Sometimes just replacing it is the best course of action. We replaced my Dad`s windshield here at work because it was pitted badly and was annoying him. A windshield in your truck isnt overly expensive....just find a reputable shop in the area to install it, and enjoy the crystal clear view of the road.

Wave
02-28-2006, 11:50 PM
The spots are not really that bad, but they have been there for years and it just bugs me that I can`t get my windshield perfectly clean. The water spots in no way have any effect on my vision...they just annoy me. It’s hard for me to justify replacing the OEM windshield over water spots that are, apparently, only visible to me.

I will try to take some pics this weekend and keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all the suggestions

SVR
03-02-2006, 02:22 AM
I`ve always used glazes, waxes and sealants on my glass
Did double choc moose (my mix) and Acrylic Jett on the outside and CK Moose wax for int glass

Interested in trying glass science rain clear and PPG aquapel

Wave
03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Tonight I tried warm vinegar (sp), SSR2.5 and 1 with no luck. Although I must say my window have never been so smooth and clean. I did some more searches about this problem and found this product..Auto Glym Glass Polish and it can be used with PC. Has anyone tried this? If so any luck?

http://www.properautocare.com/polishglass.html

detailz
03-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Tonight I tried warm vinegar (sp), SSR2.5 and 1 with no luck. Although I must say my window have never been so smooth and clean. I did some more searches about this problem and found this product..Auto Glym Glass Polish and it can be used with PC. Has anyone tried this? If so any luck?

http://www.properautocare.com/polishglass.html

I have not tried the above product, but I highly recommend Rhodite(Part#40011B). You can purchase it at www.eastwoodcompany.com. Not very expensive, easy to use and effective. We use it regularly to remove wiper streaks, acid rain and snow scraper marks.

max080
03-03-2006, 09:14 AM
I have a 2003 Mazda, granted it`s not that old, but I had some water spots that wouldn`t budge on my side glass. I took some SSR 2.5 to it with a mildly rough terry towel. The glass is now spotless. Note that I did try it with a polishing mf towel and had little luck. Maybe you need something with a little more bite.

edit: Elbow grease is a must

Autogeek
03-03-2006, 10:11 AM
SSR2.5 should do the trick. If not, try a dedicated cleaner such as DP Glass Restorer. I`ve always been able to remove water spot etching from glass with that stuff.

As max080 said, it will take quite a bit of elbow grease. I find the PC and a light cutting / cutting pad does the trick great.

SVR
03-06-2006, 02:22 AM
DP glass restorer by rotary or PC with a sonus das or sfx pad works for me most times
Sonus or Einszett glass polish is there just in case it doesn`t

Rhodite is pretty strong, doesn`t that remove glass