PDA

View Full Version : Sonus clay bars?

Pages : [1] 2

jdubb12
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
I just bought some of these clay bars for the first time and I`m using no rinse for lube as I have for a couple years now these clay bars keep sticking and leaving clay residue behind, has anyone experienced this with Sonus? Never had trouble with Wolfgang clay?

Bill D
09-28-2011, 05:10 PM
The green light cut Sonus has always been sticky--it sticks to the plastic box it comes in. No biggie,doesn`t impact performance IME , never stuck to the paint and left residue behind for me. :nixweiss

jdubb12
09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
What lubricant are you using?

Bill D
09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I`ve used several from car shampoo and water to FK425 to Sonus Glyde to the DP version of ONR. I have the old one I think is called 4 in One

All worked well with the Sonus green clay.

autoaesthetica
09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
I always thought the green sonus was one of the few that didnt leave residue... at least in my use. Clay Magic did leave some light reside though if it was "caught" right..

Junebug
09-28-2011, 06:43 PM
My favorite clay is Clay Magic blue with their #49 Bodyshine as the lube. Always worked fine, compared to Wolfgang (first clay I ever tried) Clay Magic was easier to use.

Brad B
09-28-2011, 08:48 PM
For lube I tend to use either car wash (when I am claying a whole car) to Z6 QD. I prefer Zaino clay but use Sonus and ClayMagic as well. Never had a problem with residue unless I let the clay get over-used and over-saturated.

autoaesthetica
09-28-2011, 08:58 PM
I love CM as well, both the mild and aggressive(medium).

I too use soap when dealing with seriously nasty contamination as I will wash the car again where typically I clay, dry and move on.

jdubb12
09-28-2011, 09:05 PM
I bought the grey clay bars, not sure if there new?

autoaesthetica
09-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Are they smooth bars? Sonus grey from a few years ago is a mild-medium and but the new stuff marketed as "ultrafine" grey IME don`t leave much residue whereas the old ones did a little, but nothing crazy.

Where were they purchased?

jdubb12
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Autogeek........

Accumulator
09-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Given the color change, I guess we oughta go by the correct name...it`s "Sonus SFX" for the mild one, right?

My Sonus clay always works best with Glyde lube.

SuperBee364
09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I just bought some of these clay bars for the first time and I`m using no rinse for lube as I have for a couple years now these clay bars keep sticking and leaving clay residue behind, has anyone experienced this with Sonus? Never had trouble with Wolfgang clay?

ONR doesn`t play well with some clays. As much as I love ONR, it`s not my favorite clay lube. I like to use the Meguiars maroon bottle QD as a clay lube. Works really well as a lube, and the bottle it comes in has a very uniform spray pattern. I keep the bottles for other uses after the QD is gone.

IME, Riccardo clay seriously *hates* ONR, as do a few of the more common brands

autoaesthetica
09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
I tend to clay alot with FK425 or M34 based on because they both are body shop safe so I know there won`t be anything to interfere with polishing. And yea Bee, the misters on the OTC sprayers from Meg`s are simply atomization heaven.

P-nut
10-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Sounds to me like you`re not using enough lube. My clay only drags and sticks when I accidentally move it onto an area that didn`t get enough lube sprayed on it.