PDA

View Full Version : What Ardex product for painted/polished wheels

jrsndman
09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi guys. I`ve read through pages of posts about wheel cleaning and not found what I`m looking for. I have a new to me 2008 Ford F150 Limited. It has white painted wheels with polished faces. I`m wondering what Ardex product can I use to safely clean brake dust and road grime off. I like Ardex, as they are only a few miles away, have reasonable costs and what I think are good products.

I have a bottle of "Proper" wheel cleaner that works wonders on my wife`s mag wheels. However, it says its not for painted surfaces. Would I be able to dilute it a little more and safely use it on my wheels? It is a non-acid cleaner.

I know most people say treat painted wheels like the rest of the painted surfaces on the car but, they get much dirtier and are harder to clean.

wascallyrabbit
09-28-2011, 03:05 PM
if ardex is right down the street why not just stop in and ask them. generally if they say not to use on something its for a reason. just because its a non acid wheel cleaner doesn`t mean it can`t damage your wheels.

from there website:

6227 PROPER The Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner This highly concentrated, non-acid, non-caustic wheel cleaner is the fast, new way to clean wheels without harsh acids.

this leads me to believe that you could use it on your wheels.

215Detailing
09-28-2011, 04:16 PM
I`m a big fan of ARDEX as well BUT SEARCH FOR brown Royal, The Green PROPER may cause clounding or try p21s wheel cleaner (gel)

autoaesthetica
09-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I just noticed that Ardex 6227 is listed in the automatic car wash section as well as the wheel cleaner section of the site.

In the automatic car wash section it states that it can be used as a pre-wash meaning it would presumably be paint safe. I have a gut feeling the actives in this product considering it says non caustic(no hydroxides) and non acid(no acid lol) might be the same actives in Megs APC+.. just a guess though.

robortjack
09-29-2011, 03:09 AM
ARDEX SD-M can be installed indoors over concrete and certain non-porous substrates to provide a hard, flat, smooth ARDEX DESIGNER FLOORS™ finish for retail and hospitality areas, as well as lobbies, and all interiors requiring such a surface.

Barry Theal
09-29-2011, 09:22 AM
You will be fine with ardex Proper. No reason to buy something different. :up

MichaelM
09-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Ardex Brighto is also a non acid wheel cleaner that works great. We use it here in the shop.

wascallyrabbit
09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
You will be fine with ardex Proper. No reason to buy something different. :up

Barry,

What other ardex wheel cleaners have you used? any insight would be helpful.

Barry Theal
09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Everyone there ever made! lol The attack or impact as its called now is a great clear acidic cleaner. Hands done in my top 5 cleaners. There buster is great for german wheels, but can be a little on the heavy side, it causes skin burn quite easy. Works like a champ though. Those are my two favorites from them. Ardex hands down make some of the best wheel cleaners ever. You just need to know the difference between retail cleaners and trade chemicals.

wascallyrabbit
09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
so out of curiosity what are you top 5 wheel cleaners? and have you tried the 3d yellow degreaser by chance?

imported_paintxpert
09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
I use Presta wheel and tire for the last 15 years. Aint broke dont fix it. Most mild cleaners on the market work great today.

jrsndman
10-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I used some "Proper" on the wheels yesterday. It still remains the best wheel cleaner I`ve ever used. There were still some specks of hardened brake dust I`d like to get off. I`m going to clean them again when it stops raining and let the cleaner stay on for another 60 seconds or so. Hopefully that and some more elbow grease will do the trick. White wheels look great but, are such a PITA to keep clean.

I`ll post a pick as soon as I get over the minimum post count for new guys.

wascallyrabbit
10-02-2011, 09:36 AM
you could use a small piece of clay to help. using clay while wheel cleaner is on the wheels will accelerate the degradation of the clay.

autoaesthetica
10-02-2011, 01:57 PM
This makes me want to buy some Ardex cleaners again..

ArdexLabs
10-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Guys, new to the forum!! Names Matt, and I am an Ardex Rep-so if I can help you with product info or use, hit the inbox. Also be on the lookout for our youtube page that will have info on products- detailing tips and some of the HighEnd cars Ardex is used on.

Later,

Matt