PDA

View Full Version : BMW Wood Trim

dschribs
09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Just picked up a `08 BMW 328 XI for the wife.

I`m looking for something to clean the interior wood trim. I`m not certain if it`s actual wood or not but the options list indicates it`s "Woodgrain Interior Trim".

It`s in excellent condition with no scratches or scuffs.

Anyway, the trim is just a magnet for finger prints. It`s very high gloss and even the slightest smudge shows up. I looking for a product I can use in conjunction with a nice soft MF as a wipe on/wipe off product to remove these annoying fingerprints.

In some searches, I came across a few different things. One product that was mentioned a few times was Cockpit Premium. Would this do the trick?

Any other suggestions??

Thanks!!

tom p.
09-27-2011, 02:01 PM
It`s real wood and I would treat it like highly polished fine furniture in your home...meaning no solvents or harsh chemicals.

If you are anxious to apply something, use a high quality carnauba product. FWIW, Zymol offers a specific product for this application. I think it`s called TREAT.

Bill D
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Here`s one good, recent thread that discusses it:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/53259-cleaner-before-using-303-a.html#post522523

Basically, Plexus is a very good product. I`ve even waxed wood trim like the car`s paint and maintained it with Plexus or equivalent product.

wascallyrabbit
09-27-2011, 02:22 PM
if its real would it is sealed and any light apc would clean it. not sure what auto manufactures are using for the wood finishes but its probably urethane based and doesn`t require anything special.

Brad B
09-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Cockpit Premium will work fine on this and have used in on my BMW and Audis. But because it is clear coated no real special treatment is required. I use a diluted APC for cleaning sometimes and my favorite all time cleaner is Einzett rubber/vinyl/trim.

2005GTPinMD
09-27-2011, 08:09 PM
It is real wood - well metal with a real wood veneer over it. I use OCW to keep it clean but yes it shows up any touch.

dschribs
09-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was looking for a spray rather than a liquid. Something I can keep in the glove box in a small spray bottle and use fairly quickly on a MF without any worries of staining the trim such as with a carnauba product.

I have some Quickshine by Clearkote. I tried that last night and it worked amazingly well to remove finger prints and dried without leaving any streaks on the wood. I`m going to grab some Cockpit Premium as well because it is so well received by people that use it.

Accumulator
09-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Besides the interior QDs, I use various regular QDs and often wax/seal such trim. My wax-based QDs have never stained anything (I assume I got `em on the surrounding areas now and then), but something like M34 would be safe in that regard.

FWIW, Zymol offers a specific product for this application. I think it`s called TREAT.

I have a tiny plastic jar from the `80s that was sold as BHMA`s "Interior Wood Wax". It has the Zymol logo on the bottom so I always figured it`s Treat.

It seems to be a slighty abrasive (nothing to care about in that regard, just enough to make for user-friendly cleaning) cleaner-wax.

And yeah, despite a crack in the plastic cap, the stuff`s still good after almost 30 years.

tom p.
09-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I have a tiny plastic jar from the `80s that was sold as BHMA`s "Interior Wood Wax". It has the Zymol logo on the bottom so I always figured it`s Treat.

That`s the one! I had a very old jar, too, from BHMA. Got a new one (from Zymol) a couple of years ago. It always looked beatiful when I took the time to do it :)

If I`m in a hurry, and wish to wipe away finger prints, dust, splatters, etc. in a hurry, I`ll simply use a deep-pile MF with a tiny bit of moisture (water) on it.

2005GTPinMD
09-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Meguire`s Quick Interior Detail Spray works wonders too and it is available at most Autoparts stores.

dschribs
09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Meguire`s Quick Interior Detail Spray works wonders too and it is available at most Autoparts stores.

What do you know.... I actually have some of that in my arsenal. Tried it tonight and it does work great. Thanks!