PDA

View Full Version : question regarding stripping wax

home13oy75
09-26-2011, 11:29 PM
I recently purchased a 2011 Lancer Evo. I applied a single coat of NXT 2.0 a few weeks ago to protect the paint. After much research and in preparation of DD this car during the winter and made my first purchase of detailing products. I am planning on using 2 coats of BFWD and topping it with collinite 845 for added protection. My plan is to clay the car lightly and was not sure if I needed to strip the old wax down with dawn soap. My proposed process:

1. 2 bucket wash

2. clay

3. Prima Amigo

4. BFWD x 2

5. collinite 845

From my limited research it seems that Prima Amigo will clean the paint and prep the surface for BFWD to adhere to. If this is correct, is it necessary to wash the car with dawn soap initially? Thanks in advance.

autoaesthetica
09-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Chances are the NXT is probably gone unfortunately..it doesnt last all the long. A stronger dilution of your shampoo might even nip it off. If you felt you wanted to, a dawn wash would be fine if you would feel better about it.

Otherwise the clay will take care of it and the Prima will definitely kill it if for some reason the clay didnt.

I will tell you that BFWD as a base for 845 will limit your 845 durability. If your concerns are for winter..save the BFWD for summer or omit it all together and just do a couple coats of 845. This is coming from a WW CT9A driver :)

home13oy75
09-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the sound advice. I guess I`ll save the BFWD for spring time then.

I purchased some aftermarket painted wheels that I`m planning on running year long. I`ve just finished applying 2 coats of PB wheel sealant and was planning on doing ONR washes over the winter and re-applying the PB sealant as needed. After a little reading, it seems some ppl feel that the durability isn`t there with the PB wheel sealant and I`m better off just using the collinite 845. Would it be ok to apply a coat of collinite 845 over the PB sealant? Thanks in advance!

autoaesthetica
09-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Yup you can apply it over it or use it as a stand alone. 845 will give you a great sharp look with really nice protection.

Dan
09-27-2011, 06:31 AM
The Prima Amigo is going to cause bonding issues for BFWD too. Anytime you clay, you are going to remove your wax/sealant. Clay is an abrasive and if you do a decent job claying, you`ll have no more LSP. And since most people use a QD with clay, you`ll need to do an IPA wipedown afterwards if you are applying a sealant. Some may disagree, but then there are people who wonder why they get 2-4 weeks durability from a sealant that is supposed to last longer.

Accumulator
09-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I purchased some aftermarket painted wheels that I`m planning on running year long. I`ve just finished applying 2 coats of PB wheel sealant and was planning on doing ONR washes over the winter and re-applying the PB sealant as needed. After a little reading, it seems some ppl feel that the durability isn`t there with the PB wheel sealant and I`m better off just using the collinite 845. Would it be ok to apply a coat of collinite 845 over the PB sealant? Thanks in advance!

Note that in some people`s experience, including mine, ONR washes simply *KILL* 845 (and often 476S too). For some reason ONR and Collinite don`t always work well together :nixweiss

Johnny 5
09-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Note that in some people`s experience, including mine, ONR washes simply *KILL* 845 (and often 476S too). For some reason ONR and Collinite don`t always work well together :nixweiss

Thanks for this information. I am using ONR all the time, not necessarily as a wash, but for its other hundred uses, and I intend to use my 476S every once in a while.

autoaesthetica
09-27-2011, 01:38 PM
The Prima Amigo is going to cause bonding issues for BFWD too. Anytime you clay, you are going to remove your wax/sealant. Clay is an abrasive and if you do a decent job claying, you`ll have no more LSP. And since most people use a QD with clay, you`ll need to do an IPA wipedown afterwards if you are applying a sealant. Some may disagree, but then there are people who wonder why they get 2-4 weeks durability from a sealant that is supposed to last longer.

Dan have you seen this with BFWD? My understanding is that its a top sitting sealant and the label even says "oil in water emulsion". But otherwise I definitely +1 your recommendation of IPA otherwise.

home13oy75
09-27-2011, 02:40 PM

What if I went with the DP brand? Was reading that it shouldn`t affect the 845

autoaesthetica
09-27-2011, 02:41 PM
We use ONR a ton in winter, I haven`t ever seen it kill 845 - Accum are you sure your not just seeing the sheeting properties kill the beading of 845? Typically a regular soap wash will nip off the ONR polymers allowing the beading to resume.

mikenap
09-27-2011, 03:16 PM
We use ONR a ton in winter, I haven`t ever seen it kill 845 - Accum are you sure your not just seeing the sheeting properties kill the beading of 845? Typically a regular soap wash will nip off the ONR polymers allowing the beading to resume.

I`ve seen ONR kill 845`s slickness after one wash on my own personal car. I don`t think it hurt the protection, but it did affect it in a way I haven`t seen with other LSPs.

stormsearch
09-28-2011, 07:08 AM
845 isn`t that much more durable than BFWD if you prep the paint correctly. On my truck it got me thru the 6 month winter with (2) applications of OCW and ONR washes when possible. Wife`s garaged car (brand new at the time) went all year with BFWD and a mix of ONR and auto-washes. ONR does not reduce the looks of BFWD at all. 845 is a nice wax but I don`t see the need for it if you already have BFWD.

I put 845 on my boat this spring and my Mom`s car. About a month ago detailed her car again and to ensure protection for winter, added another layer of 845. I was surprised how much better the paint looked. I only saw a very slight increase in the beading. My boat still looks stellar but is also garaged and wiped down after every use. It will be used right up to ice over on the lakes and hoping my spring detail on that will be much easier in the past.

Accumulator
09-28-2011, 10:59 AM
autoaesthetica- As MikeNap noted, the ONR kills off the slickness, leaving the surface "grabby". Yeah, I did try rewashing with conventional shampoo, along with tweaking every other variable that could possibly be factoring it, but no joy. Ditto for my pal with the MKII, who (not being a detailer, if you know what I mean, but this guy is sure no dummy) has the layman`s impression that ONR "strips wax"!

home13oy75- Sorry, never tried any of the other rinseless/waterless wash products other than QEW. I set my pal up with some from 3D but he hasn`t tried it yet and at this point that car needs redone anyhow.