PDA

View Full Version : So I spray degreaser on my motorcycle, left it there and now it wont come off

frankosmusica
09-25-2011, 06:11 PM
So I sprayed degreaser on my motorcycle and didnt spray it off with water, just let it sit there and now it got like all white I tried taking if off with a wet towel wiping it off and wont come off

frankosmusica
09-25-2011, 06:12 PM
How can I cut the degreaser off the rim it looks like if it was dried soap on it but it wont come off ! ?

Ron Ketcham
09-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Go to the auto parts store, any of them, Mother`s Mag/Aluminum Polish.

Get some soft old towels, read the direction on the jar and go to work.

Grumpy

frankosmusica
09-26-2011, 02:29 AM
but the rim is black, what can I do here ?

C. Charles Hahn
09-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Frank, I know you`ve been making a number of threads about buying equipment and preparing advertising to open a business and charge for detailing services. Based on this thread, can I ask you to please not start doing so until you get some more experience and knowledge of proper procedures by working on your own vehicle(s)?

If you etched the black paint on the rim (which is what I`m guessing based on your description), you`ll probably have to get it refinished. ;)

Richard Grasa
09-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Maybe try taking more degreaser on a rag and wipe with that. I`ve found in a few cases like this that the staining can be removed with the same chemical that caused it in the first place. But next time don`t let it sit, even if this solution works.

Or you could be effed like Charlie said.

Brad B
09-26-2011, 08:54 AM
Both pieces of advice are worth trying. I would try the degreaser first, this will take just a few seconds to see if it has any affect. The next step is using an abrasive to try to polish it off. Treat it like paint. Polish gently and gauge the results. Good luck.

autoaesthetica
09-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Frank, I know you`ve been making a number of threads about buying equipment and preparing advertising to open a business and charge for detailing services. Based on this thread, can I ask you to please not start doing so until you get some more experience and knowledge of proper procedures by working on your own vehicle(s)?

If you etched the black paint on the rim (which is what I`m guessing based on your description), you`ll probably have to get it refinished. ;)

I respectfully agree with this 100%. It is very important you learn the ins, outs, reasons of "why and what" and know the proper progression of the "what if" situations you will be forced to deal with as a detailer BEFORE you considering going into professional business.

Learning on the fly is part of the reason some "detailers" give other guys a really bad name.

Not to mention is is a disservice to your customer if you are unsure or misinformed on what to do for a given problem.

amcdonal86
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Or I could be your first customer, have you ruin my car, and then I will sue you to kingdom come! You`ll be out of business in no time! :D

Let us know what happens--seems like using more degreaser might do the trick.

frankosmusica
09-27-2011, 02:51 AM

If you etched the black paint on the rim (which is what I`m guessing based on your description), you`ll probably have to get it refinished. ;)`

No dont get me wrong I do want to get this started, I still doing all my research, but like everything else I have to do my homework right ? and yes im practicing on my own cars. You have to start somwhere, and no I trying wiping it off with degreaser and wont come off, its just that I got lazy and left it on there and didnt wash it off damn FML lol

amcdonal86
09-27-2011, 08:41 AM
`

No dont get me wrong I do want to get this started, I still doing all my research, but like everything else I have to do my homework right ? and yes im practicing on my own cars. You have to start somwhere, and no I trying wiping it off with degreaser and wont come off, its just that I got lazy and left it on there and didnt wash it off damn FML lolGood! I wish you the best of luck! I may be trying to do the same thing as you once I get a house/condo with a garage!