PDA

View Full Version : Polishing OptiCoat

pootoo12000
09-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Did a little experiment this morning. My first attempt with OCv2 was on the front bumper of my DD. I have become much more skillful with the product since then, so I was never really satisfied with the look of that bumper. Plus, I think Dr. Colorchip is in my future. Since OC is a "clearcoat", why can`t we treat it like a clearcoat? Anyway, I decided to break out the GG, 4 in LC white pad and some Opt Finish. I went very mild, as I didn`t want to polish it off but did want to see if I could spiff up the look a little. I can report that I was able to amp up the gloss and smooth it out significantly! When finished, I was concerned that the OC may have lost something, like its great hydrophobic properties but any concerns were unfounded. Now I know that you really don`t need to treat this stuff with kid gloves, as it will behave in a fashion very much like your paint. Don`t be afraid to give it a good workout if you are not happy with the appearance of your OC. You can refine it, at least somewhat, just like your paint! An hour well spent!

Bill D
09-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Promising observation, as I think there is the assumption that if the OC gets marred or lightly scratched, it`s got to go through a whole spot reapplication procedure. I hope typical real world marring it may see can be polished out just how you did!