PDA

View Full Version : Question about detailing/paint correction before paint protection film

imported_Dr. G
09-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a quick question regarding paint protection films. If I have a car`s (Aston Martin - Storm Black) paint corrected and detailed before applying a paint protection film such as Ventureshield, will the car be less prone to depth of shine issues if kept clean with non-abrasive products?

I guess what I`m asking is does a paint protection film protect against the microscratching that can limit the depth of shine and presence of metal flake of a dark metallic paint such as storm black - or would it actually be more difficult to manage?

wascallyrabbit
09-23-2011, 12:06 PM
not such how much loss or muting (of the metal flake) of depth the film will cause (it will cause some), but it is subject to marring (micro-scratching) just like you paint. some people will not be able to see the difference and some will, the difference will be vary minor.

C. Charles Hahn
09-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Dang, your user name got me confused for a minute there! I thought, "What is Dr. G from Optimum doing asking that question?" :lol:

But yeah, pretty much what wascallyrabbit said -- the film will have a slight affect on DOI and is still prone to scratching just like paint, but at least the flim is much more easily replaced if it gets damaged than the paint itself would be.

RaskyR1
09-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Dang, your user name got me confused for a minute there! I thought, "What is Dr. G from Optimum doing asking that question?" :lol:

But yeah, pretty much what wascallyrabbit said -- the film will have a slight affect on DOI and is still prone to scratching just like paint, but at least the flim is much more easily replaced if it gets damaged than the paint itself would be.

LOL. I thought the same thing too!

Brad B
09-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I agree with what`s said. Also, the quality of the clear film material AND the quality of the installation make a HUGE difference in the end result regarding clarity.