PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice Re: HD Uno, Poxy and reappearing scratches

tmt502
09-22-2011, 07:15 PM
After doing some reading through the forum, I decided to pick up the package deal from 3D which included the PC with their cutting, polishing, and finishing pads, as well as a bottle of HD Uno and HD Poxy. This appeared to be a great start to taking care of a few minor scratches on a black 2008 Chevy Silverado I bought back in April, in addition to providing superior wax application. I even picked up a Meguiars clay bar kit in order to try and clean the paint before polishing/waxing, as recommended.

I have to say, everything worked fantastically and was very pleased with the results. Two weeks ago, after washing the truck with some All Free laundry detergent (seemed to make sense in lieu of dish soap) and claying the paint, I used the PC with the polishing pad (~5,500 RPM) and Uno and was impressed with the results. In the areas with fine scratches I was trying to remove, I went back with the cutting pad (~2,500) and Uno just to try something a little more aggressive, since I`ve read about the typically hard clearcoat that GM products have. Worked like a charm. Scratches that had irritated me since day one of buying the truck were no longer visible, even when I pulled out into very bright, direct sunlight to inspect. I was amazed. After pulling back into the garage, I made sure the paint was cool again before starting the Poxy application with the finishing pad (~1,500 ? RPM). Applied the Poxy, let each panel set up for at least 20 minutes before buffing with a MF towel. The truck literally looked brand new. Water marks were gone, irritating scratches were gone, the paint looked clean and deep, I was ecstatic.

Fast forward two weeks to yesterday, and that`s when the rain finally moved back into our area. No big deal I thought, I`ll just watch the water bead up on my shiny new super-wax job, and at least some of the dust would get washed off. And then I walked out to my truck after work. That`s when I noticed that all of those scratches had reappeared. I was devastated. Not only had the scratches reappeared, but other old scratches (around the gas tank door and a few other spots where careless folks usually scratch up their paint, namely the previous owner) had now surfaced. I am 100% confident that I did not cause the other scratches now visible since they aren`t in any kind of a pattern that would suggest they were caused during washing/polishing/waxing.

Here`s where I need some advice. What am I missing? What did I do wrong? Is this to be expected after every rain, or every time the paint gets wet after washing and waxing? If I apply some more Poxy, will the scratches at least be covered up again? I`m at a loss and just hoping some of the wisdom here can rub off on me.

wascallyrabbit
09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
i didn`t know uno/poxy had any hide abilities, but form what you`ve observed it seems does. i would go back and re-polish the effect area with the finishing pad then do a ipa wipe down to remove any residue left by uno. inspect after ipa wipedown and repeat until your satisfied. you may need to go back down as far as the polish pad. when your satisfied with the results then re-apply poxy.

Dan
09-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Poxy is a great swirl filler, until the first few rains or wash. You need to do a test area, then when finished, wipe down with IPA and then inspect. If you are happy, proceed and do the whole car. I`m guessing you didn`t get all the swirls out and the oils were filling them.

Darkstar752
09-22-2011, 11:05 PM
You`ll still want to do an IPA wipedown no matter what polish you use. Good luck, I know it`s a bad feeling seeing swirls come back after all that hard work.

imported_Erik Mejia
09-23-2011, 12:17 AM
What machine are you using? Also do a test spot before you tackle the entire car, and wipe down the area with IPA as already mentioned. You need to find out if the scratches were polished out. Unfortunately there are rare occasions when some paints will swell with certain polishes, hopefully this is not the case. Was the detergent you used a liquid or a powder, and what type of wash media did you use?

imported_Erik Mejia
09-23-2011, 12:20 AM
i didn`t know uno/poxy had any hide abilities, but form what you`ve observed it seems does. i would go back and re-polish the effect area with the finishing pad then do a ipa wipe down to remove any residue left by uno. inspect after ipa wipedown and repeat until your satisfied. you may need to go back down as far as the polish pad. when your satisfied with the results then re-apply poxy.

I would say that all waxes/ and sealants fill to some degree. Some are designed to do so more than others, but they all have filling abilities.

tmt502
09-23-2011, 05:10 AM
What machine are you using? Also do a test spot before you tackle the entire car, and wipe down the area with IPA as already mentioned. You need to find out if the scratches were polished out. Unfortunately there are rare occasions when some paints will swell with certain polishes, hopefully this is not the case. Was the detergent you used a liquid or a powder, and what type of wash media did you use?

I`m using the PC 7424xp. Didn`t realize I needed to wipe with IPA after polishing. I suppose the intent is for the IPA to remove the polish? The detergent was a liquid and the wash media was a brand new microfiber cloth-covered sponge.

wascallyrabbit
09-23-2011, 06:16 AM
ipa wipedown is to remove the oils left on the paint from the polish that maybe hiding some swirls. ipa will leave you with just bare paint.

Lotuseffect
09-24-2011, 11:32 AM
My friend welcome to the wonderful world of owning a black vehicle. I bought my black GTI in may. Spent 15+ hours on it. Sun checks, sun gun checked, ipa wipes, all of it.

A week later I`m staring at it in my driveway wondering how I missed some swirls.

I think most detailers would tell you black is sometimes a love/hate relationship. Especially if you have the OCD detailers eye.

Scottwax
09-24-2011, 03:23 PM
1. Stop using laundry detergent to wash, even prior to a detail. Claying and polishing removes whatever is on the paint.

2. Like the others have said, do an IPA wipedown after compounding a section or two (not the whole truck) to make sure the defect are in fact gone. You don`t want to do the whole truck first only to find you need to get more aggressive. Make sure you are using enough pressure (enough to lightly bog the PC, then let up just enough for the speed to pick back up) and using slow, 1-2" per second 50% overlapping passes. You need to spend 3-5 minutes per section working in the compound.

3. After you get the swirls out, go back over your truck with UNO and a polishing pad. That will amp up the gloss, add depth and remove any minor marring UNO and a cutting pad might leave behind.

4. Wash the truck to remove any dust from the compounding and polishing.

5. Apply Poxy