PDA

View Full Version : M105 issues

Pages : [1] 2 3

Redem
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I Have a few worries about m105 and my car. My car is about 3 years old and has seen nothing but zaino and m205 on a white pad. I gave moderate swirls which I believe m205 will not take care of.

I am unsure if I should skip to m105 as I do have some repainted panels. The repainted bumper is decent I guess but I knowit was more or less a rush job. Should I be worried about using m105 on these areas? Is m105 my next step when 205 fails? Thanks

Scooby24
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
205 is not aggressive at all. Depending on your medium, M105 is plenty safe. Done many cars with repainted panels an 105 on as aggressive as a yellow pad and a PC. Not nearly aggressive enough to be an issue.

Richard Grasa
09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Before you skip to 105, make sure the 205 won`t take care of it. Try stepping up to 205 on an orange pad first, if that doesn`t work, step up to a yellow pad. If the 205/orange or yellow works but leaves any haziness, follow up with 205/white. If 205/yellow does not work, then go to 105/white, stepping up the pads as needed. Then follow up with 205 as the 105 will prob leave a little haziness.

Be ready for the 105 to dry alot faster than the 205, which a spritz of water will help with. Or load the pad with the 105 to keep it from drying up to quickly.

Don`t worry about using the 105 on repainted areas. Ideally 105 should be the next step only if 205 with a more aggressive pad does not work.

Accumulator
09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Redem- If you want to remove the marring it`s gonna take a certain amount of abrasion to do it. Maybe that`s one pass with M105, maybe it`s more than that. But if you can do it with *less* abrasion that that single pass with M105, then yeah, that`d be better.

Maybe you oughta try OHC. I find it *MUCH* more user-friendly than M105 anyhow, and it`s a fair bit milder. A few passes with OHC will generally do the same as one with M105, so if you don`t mind spending more time at it you oughta eventually end up with about the same degree of correction when it`s all over and done with. And you`d get there incrementally, with less chance of taking off more clear than you need to.

Redem
09-22-2011, 12:46 PM
I think I can afford the clear coat, but unsure on the repainted panels.

Optimum heavy compound? Are yellow pads more abrasive than orange?

Richard Grasa
09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I think I can afford the clear coat, but unsure on the repainted panels.

Optimum heavy compound? Are yellow pads more abrasive than orange?

The LC yellow pads are the heavy cut while the orange is a medium cut. I`m not sure which brand pad you are using, so be sure to check that company`s pad specs if it`s not LC.

autoaesthetica
09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Redem,

The other option you have is: knowing that M105 and M205 are non-diminishing abrasives, and that you can vary their relative cut by a change in pressure or application(pad, machine etc) you could always try M105 on a polishing pad or even a finishing pad after you have exhausted your efforts with M205.

There are many times I will use M105 on a polishing pad and follow up with something else as a finisher. The finish left by the polishing pad and the 105 is literally JUST like a medium polish. The other thing you can do in a situation like this(m105 variables) is a change in pressure - the more downward pressure you use, regardless of the pad, the great increase in mechanical action(cutting or polishing) these non diminishing abrasives will perform.

This way you do not need to worry about picking up another product, only maximizing the potential for each pad and product you already have.

Redem
09-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks, I have some lc yellow pads on the way. Hopefully everything works out well.

Thanks for the help and tips

Redem
10-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Just an update - Started on the car today and only plan on doing a few panels at a time due to time but I ended up not using the m105 at all. I figured that since I am happy with the results of 205 alone for a daily driven car I would save the time, trouble, and clear coat and not step up to m105.

M205 on a yellow pad with 1-2 passes depending on spot fixed close to 90% of the defects and made the paint really come alive. Instead of going to m105 on a white pad I figured I would stick to this combo as its a simple one step polish. I`d rather stay away from having to use m205 after m105 and keep is simple. My inspections are in direct sunlight and that is the only thing I have to check for defects. M205 on a white pad did not rid any of the left over swirls from m205 on a yellow pad so it seems to be finishing just as well on yellow as far as I can tell.

I`ve never been one to worry about every last flaw and I am happy with the 205 results. As a DD good enough is good enough in my eyes as I can promise you ill be fixing something else in 3 months due to some idiot and his shopping cart.

Accumulator
10-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Redem- Glad things are working out OK with the M205, and yeah, that sounds like a sensible approach. Not like every vehicle has to be all "Autopian" :xyxthumbs

Scottwax
10-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Redem- Glad things are working out OK with the M205, and yeah, that sounds like a sensible approach. Not like every vehicle has to be all "Autopian" :xyxthumbs

Agreed. If you can get your car to look pretty much swirl and scratch free from 5 feet away, your car already looks better than 95% of the other cars on the road. Not to mention it is easie to keep at that level.

Accumulator
10-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Right :xyxthumbs

And preserving clearcoat means you don`t have to just live with any subsequent damage.

mongo
10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
205 with a lc hydro tangerine pad then a grey finnesse pad last couple of passes let up on the pressure to jewel the paint.

glad your system is working.

Redem
10-14-2011, 09:26 PM
I am seeing too many swirls. Maybe I did not wipe down the 205 enough? Anyways, I cant do all this work and be left with swirl marks like this! I guess ill be going to m105 on a white pad which i believe will take care of it. Will 205 on grey pad be enough to remove the hazing from 105?

I dont think m105 is all that much more agressive on white pad than my previous yellow/205 combo and it will hopefully do it in one pass.

autoaesthetica
10-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes, in most cases you will find M105 to finish down absolutely beautifully needing only minimal refinement via DA.