PDA

View Full Version : Sealing your auto glass...

Brad B
09-19-2011, 03:51 PM
I use Aquapel on the windshields of my cars but have historically used a sealant for the sides, back and mirrors. I have always found that it aids in reducing spotting, streaking and overall dirt/dust attraction. I should note that I always clay the glass prior to the sealant application.

3 months ago I used HD Poxy on my Audi glass and have been really impressed with the results. It`s a pet peeve of mine to see all the spots after a brief shower or heavy dew and the Poxy has been about the best I have used so far. Was certainly a breeze to apply and left no residue or streaks.

Just curious, for those that do something similar, what do you use?

The Audi S4 and reflections of it`s stablemates.

http://www.fototime.com/7C05B6890EDE625/standard.jpg

Bill D
09-19-2011, 03:55 PM
I`ve always just used Aquapel on all the glass but if you`re saying this sealant has a stronger advantage, I`ll certainly keep it in mind. I guess I could either attempt to strip the Aquapel elsewhere besides the windshield or just wait till next application time and try your tip.

Ch96067
09-19-2011, 04:37 PM
I have and will use some time soon G1 (Exterior Coatings // G|Techniq (http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exterior-coatings/g1-clearvision-smart-glass/)). I picked it up after all the good things I `ve read.

Brad B
09-19-2011, 05:19 PM
I`ve always just used Aquapel on all the glass but if you`re saying this sealant has a stronger advantage, I`ll certainly keep it in mind. I guess I could either attempt to strip the Aquapel elsewhere besides the windshield or just wait till next application time and try your tip.

No, I would imagine that Aquapel would be better, but I am a cheap *ss and only put the expensive Aquapel on my windshields. I have used paint sealants with pretty good results on side glass but never really wanted to risk it on windshields for fear of lesser durability from wiper blade wear and possible wiper streaking and squeaking.

Bill D
09-19-2011, 05:21 PM
I`m cheaper :o. Got mine on closeout a long time ago still seems to work pretty much okay.

loodi
09-20-2011, 03:36 AM
turtle wax clear view.

tried the gtechniq g1 and its pretty much the same thing, only the TW is 3 times less expensive. of course the g1 lasts a bit longer, but as far as my customers share the experience: they all vote for TW clear view. and so do i.

applied it once only on all side glasses, 2 times on the back and 4 times on the front in one year on my GFs car. (and we have a lot of acid rains over all fall/winter), car is driven 30k km a year.

on the other hand, im ordering some HD stuff this week, so i think ill add an extra pack of Poxy...

thanks for sharing that.

carter840
09-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Aquapel is top notch. I don`t even need my wipers at more than 60MPH.

mustangmike
09-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I`ve been using 2 combinations lately with good results. I tried Rain X on the windshield but didn`t like it so I started using what I use on the paint.

Like you I clay all the windows and windshield first then use Klasse AIO. After that it`s either 2 layers of Klasse SG and then Collinite 476 or Optimum Opti Seal topped with Finish Kare 1000p. I apply it on all the windows and the windshield. For me it works great, water beads well in the rain but I do use the wipers. No streaks or vision problems even at night. Bugs wash off with less effort. I`ve recoated the Collinite and the FK1000p after a couple of months and it renews the protection very well. Klasse AIO works well applied on the inside of the windows also.

Brad B
09-20-2011, 10:03 AM
As mentioned, I have always feared that using a wax/sealant would for some reason cause the wipers to squeak or streak. Any issues with this over time?

mustangmike
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I haven`t had any problems with the wipers wiping, if anything it seems to help them work smoother. I`ve done this to all 5 of my cars, daily drivers and garage queens alike, and also several cars that I`ve detailed for other folks, no compalints.

Brad B
09-20-2011, 11:55 AM
That`s really good to know. Thanks!

tom p.
09-20-2011, 12:06 PM
I`ll experiment with different products on the side glass, rear glass and sunroof, but won`t chance it on the windshield. It`s Aquapel or nothing!

extrabolts
09-22-2011, 08:23 PM
I put adam`s glass sealant on annually but typically just use whatever wax I`m applying to the car on the glass too.

Nopstnz8
09-24-2011, 06:06 AM
KSG right here! And if there are prior spots I use KAIO with my G110 to knock them out first.