PDA

View Full Version : Griots products ... works well

Pages : [1] 2

rdroe
09-19-2011, 05:45 AM
I am a LOOONG time AstroShield user. Since the mid 70`s on many a fine sports car that I wish I had today. Current car is a 1982 Corvette with a metallic Charcoal 2 stage paint. I had about 40+ coats of AstroShield on it and, I need to say that it was really glossy, smooth, and I was quite pleased. I did want something a bit more *thick* but never found a series of products that gave me the same luster. Then I came across the multi-step products by Griots.:wow: I did an experiment on the hood. Took the pre-wax cleaner to it and stripped off all of the AS. Then clay-bar`d the hood and measured my success by the *stuff* on the clay bar and the hand-in-plastic-bag technique. Now very smooth, but always plagued by water spots. Took some #3 Polish from Griots and their Orbital Polisher to the hood. 2 passes and the water spots were gone as well as the swirls. Wiped the surface down with their Detail spray to get rid of any residue from the Polish and then followed up with 2 coats of their Best-in-Show Carnuba. The car hood popped! It looks 10 inches thick. :clap1: The luster and shine was amazing. AS gave a shine, and I was happy with it, but it never gave that thickness. I did the entire car with the same process this weekend. Very happy! A little goes a long way, as I soon learned. I use their speed-wax to help remove the dried Carnuba as it was somewhat difficult to remove. I do not work for, get any $$ for, or anything of the like with Griots. Just a pleased user that found something current that really works well. It is a process, as many of you know that results in this final look, not just one product, but I am sold. :har:

Dan
09-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Griots makes some nice stuff, and now you can finally get it at Advance Auto.

C. Charles Hahn
09-19-2011, 08:53 AM

The one near me still doesn`t have any of it :(

rdroe
09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I KNOW! Although they only carry the basics, but it`s nice to know. And the price is the same as on the site. No pads, yet. I did pickup some sealer for my son and his car.

TGates
09-19-2011, 01:13 PM
I KNOW! Although they only carry the basics, but it`s nice to know. And the price is the same as on the site. No pads, yet. I did pickup some sealer for my son and his car.

I didn`t know you could pick their stuff up at Advance Auto these days :nervous:

I am constantly amazed by Speed Shine. It cleans as well or better than any other QD spray I have used, and it leaves a nice shine. The only place I don`t use it is on windows.

Their Leather Care Spray, Interior Cleaner, and Car Wash are all great products, too. I just picked up one of their wash buckets and it`s a nice piece as well.

I didn`t have very good luck with their polishes or waxes, but I did like the finish Best of Show left behind, and I find it works better if you apply it with a R/O machine.

Accumulator
09-19-2011, 01:15 PM
rdroe- That`s intersting about the MP#3 removing the marring..that product was always SOOOO gentle for me that it wouldn`t do that. If you like the BOS wax, then more power to you...Griot`s has some good stuff all right, I won`t wash with anything except their Car Wash.

I do wish their Boar`s Hair Brushes were still good though, the latest batch (apparently a new supplier) were simply terrible compared to their previous style.

rdroe
09-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I thought the same thing until I made up my mind to take an hour, take a section of the car, and give it a fair shot. I use the Speed Shine to take off the dried BofShow. Perfect! THey even give that hint on their site.

Accumulator
09-20-2011, 11:29 AM
I thought the same thing until I made up my mind to take an hour, take a section of the car, and give it a fair shot...

I bet that polisher makes a big diff. Having pretty much given up on the MPs, I once tried them via Cyclo (instead of via PC, this was back before today`s more powerful ROs) and that made things go much better.

I use the Speed Shine to take off the dried BofShow. Perfect!

I too use SpeedShine when waxing, yeah, works well. One thing I like it so use it for "pseudo-spitshining", where I spritz a tiny bit of SpeedShine on the panel and then apply my wax, working the wax a lot longer than one normally would until things dry/flash off leaving a barely visible wax residue to be buffed off (no more SpeedShine at that point, I buff the residue off "dry").

rdroe
09-29-2011, 01:59 PM
I bet that polisher makes a big diff. Having pretty much given up on the MPs, I once tried them via Cyclo (instead of via PC, this was back before today`s more powerful ROs) and that made things go much better.

I too use SpeedShine when waxing, yeah, works well. One thing I like it so use it for "pseudo-spitshining", where I spritz a tiny bit of SpeedShine on the panel and then apply my wax, working the wax a lot longer than one normally would until things dry/flash off leaving a barely visible wax residue to be buffed off (no more SpeedShine at that point, I buff the residue off "dry").

What a great idea. I will try that tonight. Just a bit of SPeedshine or SprayWax, then the standard BofS then go over until it thins out.

Thanks!

Kotsios
09-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I am a LOOONG time AstroShield user. Since the mid 70`s on many a fine sports car that I wish I had today. Current car is a 1982 Corvette with a metallic Charcoal 2 stage paint. I had about 40+ coats of AstroShield on it and, I need to say that it was really glossy, smooth, and I was quite pleased. I did want something a bit more *thick* but never found a series of products that gave me the same luster. Then I came across the multi-step products by Griots.:wow: I did an experiment on the hood. Took the pre-wax cleaner to it and stripped off all of the AS. Then clay-bar`d the hood and measured my success by the *stuff* on the clay bar and the hand-in-plastic-bag technique. Now very smooth, but always plagued by water spots. Took some #3 Polish from Griots and their Orbital Polisher to the hood. 2 passes and the water spots were gone as well as the swirls. Wiped the surface down with their Detail spray to get rid of any residue from the Polish and then followed up with 2 coats of their Best-in-Show Carnuba. The car hood popped! It looks 10 inches thick. :clap1: The luster and shine was amazing. AS gave a shine, and I was happy with it, but it never gave that thickness. I did the entire car with the same process this weekend. Very happy! A little goes a long way, as I soon learned. I use their speed-wax to help remove the dried Carnuba as it was somewhat difficult to remove. I do not work for, get any $$ for, or anything of the like with Griots. Just a pleased user that found something current that really works well. It is a process, as many of you know that results in this final look, not just one product, but I am sold. :har: Griots pre-wax cleaner doesn`t strip wax griots paint prep is the stripper. Pre-wax cleaner is to be used after polishing to remove any polishing oils, to promote better bonding with your wax or sealant.

Brad B
09-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Never knew that.

Accumulator
09-30-2011, 11:50 AM
Eh, no Griot`s stuff at my local Advance Auto stores :(

SpoolinNoMore
09-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Griots has had free shipping with no minimum all spring/summer/fall long so far this year, better deal if you live in a place with sales tax :)

Corvette
10-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Been using the Griots Carnuba stick and am quite leased! It goes on with an orbital until it`s very thin, then comes off easily with a MF. Wow! and it gives that deep shine like their BofSHow. BUt, I can go through it ver quickly. It seems like the actual product in the dispenser is somewhat aerated. It goes on well because it is a great idea to put it in such a deodorant type dispenser, but it also gets used up quickly. I have some P21S ordered to try it. My only issue is that I am spoiled on how the Griots goes on the RO pad. You paint it on. Not sure how I am going to get the P21S out of the can onto the pad.

Dan
10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
You can always melt a wax into a deodorant container.