PDA

View Full Version : Iron X worth it for surface prep?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SpoolinNoMore
09-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Granted I haven`t come across too many extreme detailing cases, but I`m not entirely sold that I could benefit from ferrous material removers like Iron X. After wash, clay, and compound/polish I`m not sure more surface prep is necessary. Has anybody tried using Iron X after compound/polish to see if there are any leftover contaminants that would have benefited from using Iron X in the surface prep?

mikenap
09-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I`ve seen people use IronX after claying, and seen that it still runs purple. If claying only shears off the top of the iron particles and their is still some in the paint, it should take care of it. Then again, people DID detail for decades before IronX or even clay.:neutral:

Bill D
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
I`m thinking it can be a real time saver for contaminated wheels,especially the barrels.

togwt
09-14-2011, 05:58 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/136387-detailer%92s-clay-vs-decontamination.html

SpoolinNoMore
09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
I`m thinking it can be a real time saver for contaminated wheels,especially the barrels.

I was going to start carrying full effect for wheel decon since those will always be difficult to get 100% clean when leaving wheels on. I was more interested to see if anybody had tested it on a paint surface post-compound and polish to see if it was able to pick anything up that was left behind.

imported_dfazekas
09-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Just buy Wolf`s decon gel (brake duster). Got a shipment of it in earlier this week and I`ve been playing around with it. I like it better than Sonax and you`ll be able to decontaminate the paint with it too. I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

wascallyrabbit
09-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Just buy Wolf`s decon gel (brake duster). Got a shipment of it in earlier this week and I`ve been playing around with it. I like it better than Sonax and you`ll be able to decontaminate the paint with it too. I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

okay i done a little searching for this stuff but can`t find where to buy it. a little help, link, something.

mikenap
09-14-2011, 07:48 PM
okay i done a little searching for this stuff but can`t find where to buy it. a little help, link, something.

Detailer`s Domain carries it.

imported_dfazekas
09-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Detailer`s Domain carries it.

Yes.

I don`t think you`ll regret it. When compared to the others, its cost effective too.

1 liter wolfs decon gel: $20

5 liter wolfs decon gel: $70

1 liter ironx: $33

5 liter ironx: $125

16 oz sonax: $16

5 liter sonax: $95

Rei86
09-14-2011, 10:22 PM
To answer the OPs question, yes its worth it.

Also thanks dfazekas, I`ll have to check out that product. I can find tons of pictures of Iron X working on wheels and the paint, can you provide us with some pics of the product working?

imported_dfazekas
09-14-2011, 10:48 PM
You can remove iron from wheels with iron-x, but it sucks as a wheel cleaner. This does both.

I haven`t gotten a chance to personally take any pics of it yet, so I`ll put a couple videos from their youtube channel in here. My experience with the product so far has been pretty much the exact same as seen here:

http://youtu.be/g7Fkkw-vVIQ

http://youtu.be/ENXU2qMEOhY

CosminTX
09-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Yes.I don`t think you`ll regret it. When compared to the others, its cost effective too.

i know this is off topic ,

but for wheels how about some p21s wheel cleaner gel, 50/50 mix with water and a dytona wheel brush ....

togwt
09-15-2011, 05:01 AM
P21S Wheel Cleaner is a vg maintenance product, Sonax, Wolf`s or AQuartz are meant for badly (iron oxide) contaminated surfaces

SpoolinNoMore
09-15-2011, 07:03 AM
I may have to do a 50/50 of one side clay/compound/polish then wolf`s or whatever and the other side just use wolf`s and see how much it actually helps if put into routine. Even though you would normally decon with wolf`s before clay, I just want to see the difference.

togwt
09-15-2011, 08:41 AM
I`ve found that IronX is a better decontaminate than Sonax, I haven`t tried Wolf`s so I can`t comment (DW seems to rate it highly)