PDA

View Full Version : Duragloss 105 then Collinite?

rdonchez
09-13-2011, 07:09 AM
I`m getting ready to do a good coat of sealant/wax on my civic in anticipation of the coming winter months. My main priority is something that will provide protection through the winter. I`m seen Duragloss recommended and I have purchased Duragloss along with the Bonding agent. However, I was wondering if you could then put a layer of Collinite over the Duragloss. Would this be beneficial? Any opinions appreciated.

Also, when applying duragloss and collinite, should you apply it over black plastic trim on the exterior of the vehicle? Will either of these products stain the trim? Thanks.

mikenap
09-13-2011, 07:13 AM
I`m getting ready to do a good coat of sealant/wax on my civic in anticipation of the coming winter months. My main priority is something that will provide protection through the winter. I`m seen Duragloss recommended and I have purchased Duragloss along with the Bonding agent. However, I was wondering if you could then put a layer of Collinite over the Duragloss. Would this be beneficial? Any opinions appreciated.

Also, when applying duragloss and collinite, should you apply it over black plastic trim on the exterior of the vehicle? Will either of these products stain the trim? Thanks.

Duragloss 601/105 is a popular combination, and a couple of well-known detailers from another forum usually will follow it with a layer of Colli 845. As far as staining trim, I don`t know about Duragloss, although I suspect it wouldn`t, but 845 is great for protecting trim. On my daily driver, one coat of 845 lasted longer on the trim than it did on the paint!

autoaesthetica
09-13-2011, 03:32 PM
DG is great, if you haven`t picked things up already you can use something like 501, the marine RV cleaner on a polishing pad then apply either your 845 or the DG 105/601 combo. My only concerns with layering solventy items like 845 is that they would disturb or disrupt the sealant underneath it. I personally prefer working things in, and maybe using a topper that doesn`t get worked in - but tops lol.

pwaug
09-14-2011, 07:11 AM

Also, when applying duragloss and collinite, should you apply it over black plastic trim on the exterior of the vehicle? Will either of these products stain the trim? Thanks. I have a 2007 Passat Wagon that has black plastic cladding all around the bottom. I tried cleaning it well and then applied 601/105 and it looks great--deep black, no white film etc. One down side to adding the Collinite is that you can`t add another coat of 105 without stripping off the wax.

DM101
09-14-2011, 11:59 AM
I would just add a second layer of Collinite after 12 hours. You can always add another coat as needed during the winter.