PDA

View Full Version : ONR users: do you use a QD spray while drying?

Pages : [1] 2 3

amcdonal86
09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Well, do you? I have been using Lucas Oil Quick Mist Speedwax which I thought was great, but then started to realize that is streaks somewhat--it looks like it`s off, but then you get what look like very very fine scratches in the paint, which are actually really fines scratches in the QD-spray residue. I guess the QD-spray residue never really comes off.

I think I might try not using QD-spray anymore, but I am afraid I won`t be able to get all the ONR solution off before it dries, because I am probably going to be working in direct sunlight most of the time on a black car!

What do you guys think? What is the best way to use ONR?

(BTW I just took delivery of this 2012 Mustang V6 w/ Performance Package. Although there are no halos or evidence of someone REALLY trying to do a number on this car with a rotary buffer, it is clear where they used some sort of bristle brush on a stick to wash the car--but that`s for another thread!)

wascallyrabbit
09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
i use qd some times while drying. make one drying pass then qd for the final drying pass.

Dan
09-10-2011, 12:41 PM
I don`t normally use a QD with ONR as the surface is pretty slick afterwards. I do regularly use a spray wax but I dry with a waffle weave first then come back with a regular microfiber to apply the spray wax. So far no weird interactions. Might just be the Slick Mist, I`d wager you`d have no issues with OID or OCW.

umi000
09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Same as Dan - I usually don`t use QD, but will regularly use a spray wax while drying. No issues with either OCW or UQW - had some streaking with Reflections spray wax, but I attribute that to the product itself, not to ONR.

amcdonal86
09-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Refresh my memory, what`s OID, OCW and UQW?

I wonder if it`s just more noticeable because my car is black.

StuLax18
09-10-2011, 01:19 PM
My guesses are:

Optimum Instant Detailer

Optimum Car Wax

Meg`s Ultimate Quick Wax

autoaesthetica
09-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes but I never really force the issue on which one it has to be... generally its whichever is closest to my hand or which one is higher in the bottle(to keep them level on the shelf, if thats not ocd lol).

Generally its one that I know to have some sort of slippery glossers in it as I want the towel to glide better.

mikenap
09-10-2011, 03:52 PM
I`ll usually use either a spray wax or a QD as a drying aid after an ONR wash. I`ve used OCW, AW, UQW, FK425, Megs Last Touch and HD Final Touch. Never had a streaking issue with any of them as long as I didn`t saturate the panel. Also, on my personal cars, all ONR washes are done in the garage so I`m always out of direct sunlight. I don`t really have a favorite either, just trying to use up some of the tons of product I have laying around.

Now that I think about it, I did recently use Pinnacle Crystal Mist after on ONR wash and wasn`t overly impressed with it. It streaked like crazy on the glass but not on the paint. Then again, I`ve only used it once so I can`t say it`s a bad product yet.

04BlackAV
09-10-2011, 07:02 PM
I use OID, wash panel, spray OID...dry!

autoaesthetica
09-10-2011, 07:05 PM
OID is very nice, and the concentrate stretches far with excellent slickness during the wipe.

amcdonal86
09-10-2011, 08:38 PM
Hmm... I will have to try Optimum Instant Detailer! Thanks, guys!

Dan
09-10-2011, 09:11 PM
What I love about OID is the range. It works amazingly well on jeweled paint or trashed paint. It makes either look better and slicker. Some QDs/QW only work well on specific colors/conditions/times.

Bill D
09-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I did recently use Pinnacle Crystal Mist after on ONR wash and wasn`t overly impressed with it. It streaked like crazy on the glass but not on the paint. Then again, I`ve only used it once so I can`t say it`s a bad product yet.. I`m pretty sure it`s a QD not for use on glass due to wax content. On carnauba, I find it to be wonderful! I have it on hand in my mini fridge for occasional use only --mostly right after I apply a fresh new coat of wax

mikenap
09-10-2011, 09:43 PM
. I`m pretty sure it`s a QD not for use on glass due to wax content. On carnauba, I find it to be wonderful! I have it on hand in my mini fridge for occasional use only --mostly right after I apply a fresh new coat of wax

I figured as much after the streaking, but I`ve used AW, UQW and OCW on glass before without any problems. It was my first time using it, so I wanted to see if I could use it like I do the others. Apparently I can`t!:tsk:

Bill D
09-10-2011, 09:57 PM
If you use it on carnauba you should see a very nice enhancement. I understand why it was designed for Souveran and the like.