PDA

View Full Version : PDR Techs: What Corrosion Protection methods do you use?

David Fermani
09-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I`ve seen guys use a combination of Teflon tape on the ends of their prods to avoid disturbing the factory e-coat to actually spraying corrosion protection after working a panel. What`s your method?

C. Charles Hahn
09-08-2011, 08:45 PM
The guy I use has all his rod ends coated with Plasti-Dip.

Ron Ketcham
09-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Worked with both State Farm and I-Car on this concern.

They wanted to require that an atomized ASM-117B rust preventative be atomized(fogged) into in cavatity where PDR work was performed.

I agree with what they attempted to get required, as it is the most fool-proof method to keep corrosion from occuring.

Grumpy

David Fermani
09-08-2011, 08:59 PM
On certain applications, can both the e-coat on both sides of the panel loosen and cause problems regardless of inner panel/cavity post-PDR corrosion protection? If you work the metal too much, doesn`t it loosen up the adhesion and ultimately breakdown?

Ron Ketcham
09-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Not when an ASTM-117B rust inhibitor/preventative is fogged in, it pushes any moisture away, it creeps and seeks out bare metal.

There is a new standard, but it is just minor changes from the original ASTM.

Why do you think that Ford, Chrysler, etc require the use of such on warranty body repairs and ValuGard is the supplier to both, plus several import brands.

Simple, it is not "snake oil", it is not "marketing", since 1980, this product by AI has been the only real standard of product for rust prevention.

Not to belittle or throw down on the products that are used in some assembly plants, less and less I may add, due to the cost of doing so.

The truly scary issue is the increased use of mag cloride on roads today vs the old calcium cloride.

Check out through your sources the issues that have surfaced in places such as Colorado, or go back to the presentation I mad a couple of time to the I-CAR International meetings.

When possible, Bonnani, Porter and Hartman were there for the seminars to back up what I was presenting regarding the issue.

Grumpy