PDA

View Full Version : Detailers and modeling!

Ch96067
09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I was thinking the other day that, like myself, others may be past or active modelers/hobbyists (cars/planes/ figures etc etc.). This, for me at least, is because of the similarities in both fields (attention to detail, art&science, hard work, gadgets involved, admiration of the final result etc.).

So would you mind sharing if you are into modelling, what kind and if active or involved in the past? If something similar has been already done apologies. My search didn`t find something similar.

Yes / Plastic planes, tanks, dioramas / past.

Street5927
09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I am into making scale decaled police cars as well as r/c planes.

Brad B
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
I love making models. Years ago I used to make metal car models. I am not sure where to even find them now.

Bill D
09-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I can`t assemble a model but I have a collection of about 120 +/- 1:18 diecasts of ecclectic makes and vintages. I have them all lined up in book cases against a wall in my office.

C. Charles Hahn
09-07-2011, 10:03 PM
I`ve got lots of model kits to build, just no time to build them!

Accumulator
09-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I was awfully serious about 1/35th scale WWII armor back in the day, and to a lesser extent, WWI-II aircraft.

Wonder if IMPS (International Plastic Modelers Society) is still around :think:

RaskyR1
09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
I used to love building model cars. Even went as far as chopping the top on a `39 Chevy coupe once (needed two kits for that). Eventually I ended up destroying most of them with a BB gun, M80`s, or they died via torch....bored I guess. It was fun though since I was able to mix up custom paints for them (father owned a body shop with paint mixing system). Some day I`d like to get back into it....

Nth Degree
09-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I used to love model cars. You are absolutely correct about the correlation of the attention to detail. I could have made entire cars out of the leftover parts from all of them. I would even go so far as to paint the individual bots on the chassis and engine blocks. I am sure I would still enjoy it, but I don`t have as much time for hobbies as I did when I was young. Sometimes I think about how much better I could do now with all I know about paint and polishing.

Dan
09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Not that I have any sort of time to have more hobbies, but lately I`ve gotten into RC helicopters. So much fun till they crash. Then you get to see a grown man cry.

This is me learning to fly a micro sized collective pitch copter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vfK2TrS5ms