PDA

View Full Version : Rough roof, smooth car?

Darkstar752
08-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Hey guys.

Hope everyone is well. I recently detailed a 2006 Lexus GS430 that had been bought used. Everything went well, car had about 68,000 on it but there was one problem. The roof was very rough, almost like overspray, which I suspect it is. However, it was odd because the overspray stopped abruptly at the roof lines, so it was on none of the pillars or supports. Also, the paint readings were consistently high all over (200-280), but I`m guessing it has something to do with the Lexus paint.

Any ideas? Think this is overspray? I find it odd that it ends exactly at the pillars. Also, what would be the best way to deal with this? Thanks :)

EDIT: Also, I should mention that I clayed the car and the roof didn`t get any smoother at all. No polishing was done.

b34tBoX
08-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Next step I would assume if clay didn`t work is to polish.

Brad B
08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Take a magnifying glass, or better, a 10x lupe magnifier and compare what the roof spaint looks like compared to the hood or trunk. Also look for signs of a repaint.

Let us know what you see!

Bill D
08-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I`ve treated a car with overspray and can relate to the rough feeling I washed the car twice with the three step Valugard decontamination wash and clayed during step B. It pretty much removed it and felt smooth. However you`ll probably do a lot of spot checking and re checking and going over spots with clay in order to truly get all if the overspray off as possible.

Scottwax
08-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Odds are it is overspray and the location of it has to do with how the car was taped off.

Dan
08-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Sounds like a typical dealer re-spray job. "No one`s gonna look up there anyway." <scooby doo villan voice>.... And there were right, till that pesky detailer got to it... LOL

Accumulator
08-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah, I`d vote for previous neglect of the "you can`t see it anyhow" roof.

Brad B
08-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I`d vote for previous neglect of the "you can`t see it anyhow" roof.

Exactly. That`s why looking close with magnification can tell you everything.

TedFred
08-30-2011, 03:16 PM
I am with Dan or Yakky? I have had cars like that. Someetime during transport the chains from the car above rub on the roof and a respray is needed.

Bill D
08-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Hmmm maybe the new car cover-like material Audi uses on its new cars in transport,as was posted here a while back, is now being used to curb situations like that.

Darkstar752
08-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Exactly. That`s why looking close with magnification can tell you everything.

Thanks Brad, I`ll make sure to have a magnifier the next time I check.

I am with Dan or Yakky? I have had cars like that. Someetime during transport the chains from the car above rub on the roof and a respray is needed.

Thanks Ted, that seems pretty likely. Here`s the odd thing, both exhaust tips were COVERED in overspray. But the rest of the car wasn`t. And the paint readings are consistent. It just seems really weird how only the roof and exhaust tips are messed up but the rest of the car is perfect.

Thanks for the responses guys, keep them coming.

Dan
08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
As far as the exhaust tips... just confirmation the car was sprayed and they got sloppy masking.

Bill D
08-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Double check the windshield and rear window periodically in different lighting to check for any left over overspray to clay. IME it could be expected. I found a bit several months after I removed initial overspray from the finish

lostdaytomorrow
09-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Yup just overspray is likely. Sounds like they did a bad job masking. Hopefully polishing will cut it down and smooth it out.