PDA

View Full Version : Leather Fatliquoring – A Point of Contention!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Roger Koh
08-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by TOGWT

[Fat liquor is not volatile nor migratory, so leather is not going to lose it. However, along with the fat liquor, the other critical factor is moisture. Any leather is going to lose its moisture in a hot car. Although leather seems dry, it is not. Of course too much moisture quickly leads to mould and mildew problems, so soaking it down is not reasonable. Ideally, exposure to humid atmosphere will help balance the effect of over drying on hot days.

Leather is very dynamic with respect to moisture content, meaning moisture comes and goes easily under normal circumstances....] American Leather Chemists Association (ALCA)

Quote: Originally Posted by Accumulator

I`d invested enough time in Roger Koh`s posts here that I figured I might as well give his stuff a try. Seems like the fatliquoring part of it is the point of contention, so we`ll see how that works out

Well....you might oughta take that up with Roger Koh It could be the leathercare version of the Dawn debate! (by Accumulator)

If leathers can be hydrated, it can be “fatliquored” to as soft as you wish!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

togwt
08-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Interesting topic to which I hope others will also offer their opinions.

wascallyrabbit
08-27-2011, 08:12 AM
i`m not a professorial leather person just an end user of leather products, but going from a stiff hard leather and making it soft and pliable again. i`m a believer that hydrating/ fat liquoring works.

Accumulator
08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Roger Koh- Glad you decided to pick this up. As I noted in that thread.

I really *do* consider this topic somewhat similar to the Dawn Debate, and my view is "OK, whatever, believe what you want, do what you want, stay happy..." Of course it`s easy for me to be dismissive of naysayers, I`m not the guy in the leather products business.

Scottwax
08-27-2011, 01:21 PM
i`m not a professorial leather person just an end user of leather products, but going from a stiff hard leather and making it soft and pliable again. i`m a believer that hydrating/ fat liquoring works.

Leather Vital does amazing things to dry leather.

Dan
08-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Leather Vital does amazing things to dry leather.

Yeah, I`ve had some positive results with both Vital and Leatherique. The thing I don`t know about is the long term results.

Roger Koh
08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Roger Koh- Glad you decided to pick this up. As I noted in that thread.

I really *do* consider this topic somewhat similar to the Dawn Debate, and my view is "OK, whatever, believe what you want, do what you want, stay happy..." Of course it`s easy for me to be dismissive of naysayers, I`m not the guy in the leather products business.

To make this debate credible, the original contributor or author or its official spokesman from the American Leather Chemists Association (ALCA) should be invited by the person that quoted the above statement to participate as well?

Do you think so?

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Accumulator
08-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Roger Koh- Sure, the more expert input the better. Well, at least theoretically speaking.

Roger Koh
08-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Roger Koh- Sure, the more expert input the better. Well, at least theoretically speaking.

For viewers information the American Leather Chemists Association (ALCA) was founded in 1902. Current President for 2011-2012 is Andreas Rhein.

The 2012 108th Annual Convention at Grandover Resort, Greensboro, NC technical program chair is Steve Gilberg and he can be reached by e-mail at steve@tanmach.com.

Now it’s up to my worthy opponent of this debate to initiate the contact.

Inviting representatives from this reputable more than a hundred years old association would certainly bring this forum to the next level of professionalism.

It would be so exciting!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

MSOsr
08-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I just completed Roger`s process on my CTS-V coupe. Although the car only has 8,000 miles on the leather, I do think the leather feels softer after using the fat liquor and the rest of the process. The original owner apparently used nothing on the leather, as he only had the car a brief time. Being in Florida, however, the heat did allow the leather on the driver`s door and left Recaro bolsters (legs and shoulders) to become stiff and creased. I`m hoping Roger`s process will "relax" the leather enough to smooth everything out.

Mike

Roger Koh
08-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I just completed Roger`s process on my CTS-V coupe. Although the car only has 8,000 miles on the leather, I do think the leather feels softer after using the fat liquor and the rest of the process. The original owner apparently used nothing on the leather, as he only had the car a brief time. Being in Florida, however, the heat did allow the leather on the driver`s door and left Recaro bolsters (legs and shoulders) to become stiff and crease. I`m hoping Roger`s process will "relax" the leather enough to smooth everything out.

Mike

Leather is very dynamic with respect to moisture content, meaning moisture comes and goes easily under normal circumstances....] American Leather Chemists Association (ALCA)

According to the above statement, it would seem that it is not so difficult to bring moisture into the leather structure (corium).

It would be easier for moisture to penetrate through the stitching holes and spread sideways to the entire panel in question. On the finish surfaces, to facilitate a faster rate of moisture penetration through the finishes micro-cracks / micro-crazing phenomena (not visible with the naked eyes) a layer of hydrator reservoir is recommended with tissue paper cover with plastic sheet. This is to ensure that the moisture goes one way into the leather structure.

As long as the leather can be hydrated, that is to say make way or precondition the leather with reduced interfacial tension – fatliquoring can thereafter follow with similar technique as the hydrator to achieve even penetration.

You can be assured that the leather will be soft, supple and strong – without the stiffness or micro tears or split at all the stitching holes.

[Although leather seems dry, it is not. Of course too much moisture quickly leads to mould and mildew problems, so soaking it down is not reasonable. Ideally, exposure to humid atmosphere will help balance the effect of over drying on hot days. Leather is very dynamic with respect to moisture content, meaning moisture comes and goes easily under normal circumstances....] American Leather Chemists Association (ALCA)

The optimum moisture content of healthy fat liquored leather averages 14%. The amount is the aggregates of all leather constituents including the fatliquor. It is measurable with a moisture meter. Normally the hydrating would be around 25% to start with before drying to averaging 14% - that will still feel dry but not.

It seems that too much moisture will quickly lead to mould and mildew problems. Well that’s taken care of when you used a pH 3.3 hydrator and not water at pH 7. The acidity itself is a preservative against mould and mildew. Thus it can be left to be hydrated for up to three days at 25% moisture level. That applies to the fatliquor too at pH 5.0.

Show us some pictures if you are fatliquoring it effectively.

Note: If the leather is soft, supple and strong thereafter, yet have creases and not smooth out. This problem may lies at the seat panel cuttings, stitching tensions or constructions.

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

zaweashton
08-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Interesting topic, keep it coming

Blackthornone
08-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I used Leatherique on a 140 year old Civil War pistol cartridge box that was cardboard hard. After many applications of the rejuvanator, it is now as soft as new. The leather is 1/8 inch thick.

Ch96067
08-28-2011, 05:29 AM
Subscribed. This is interesting info useful to many detailers in different countries who are always interested in proper leather care.

David Fermani
08-28-2011, 07:47 AM
For viewers information the American Leather Chemists Association (ALCA) was founded in 1902. Current President for 2011-2012 is Andreas Rhein.

The 2012 108th Annual Convention at Grandover Resort, Greensboro, NC technical program chair is Steve Gilberg and he can be reached by e-mail at steve@tanmach.com.

Now it’s up to my worthy opponent of this debate to initiate the contact.

Inviting representatives from this reputable more than a hundred years old association would certainly bring this forum to the next level of professionalism.

It would be so exciting!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Thanks for bringing this up here Roger. I will reach out to the ALCA as well as USHSLA (United States Hide, Skin, and Leather Association) and a few others to see if they`d like to input on this subject. Could be an interesting discussion.

Roger also posted this question on the ALCA forum here if anyone would like to see:

Leather Chemists: Fat liquor is not volatile nor migratory, (http://www.leatherchemists.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1400&KW=Roger+Koh)