PDA

View Full Version : Residue Removal Question

JeffW
02-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Just finished applying another coat of EX sealant, and as usual I applied it too think in many places, therefore, after removing the sealant there is still a number of small sealant patches that are a PIB to remove. :down:

Question: Can I let these spots sit overnight when then they should be much easier to buff/remove, or is there some harm that might come if I don`t remove these remaining spots w/i the approx timeframe directed on the label?

Thanks for your help...

Brenton
02-24-2006, 07:09 PM
I find that sealants do get easier when left longer.
But...overnight with the possibility of dew then hardening again desn`t sound like a good idea. Instead, use a QD to get those spots off.
But I don`t think anything damaging will happen either way.

JeffW
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I find that sealants do get easier when left longer.
But...overnight with the possibility of dew then hardening again desn`t sound like a good idea. Instead, use a QD to get those spots off.
But I don`t think anything damaging will happen either way.

PEI... I`ve got the car garaged with a small space heater so dew won`t be a factor. figured it wouldn`t be a prob cuz I always seem to find little patches days later and have never noticed any negative results.

Just wanted to get some feedback from the pro`s to be on the safe side.

Thanks...

Edited: But wouldn`t using a QD during the curing period compromise the setting of the sealant like rain would???

Brenton
02-25-2006, 05:38 AM
Edited: But wouldn`t using a QD during the curing period compromise the setting of the sealant like rain would???

I don`t know the answer to that part.

detailz
02-25-2006, 06:38 AM
Definitely no harm in leaving it overnight. Use the QD or even more sealant to remove the spots. Haven`t used EX Sealant, but the sealant we use doesn`t seem to get any easier to remove the longer it sits.

JeffW
02-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Yep, just popped out to the garage and lightly swipped a spot and it came off exceptionally easy... when the sun starts shinning through the front garage doors (ceiling lights are not real bright) I should be able to quickly and easily hit the remaining spots.

EX is thick, very thick. My products of choice have always been UPP, WG and the EX`s, and of these EX has always been toughest, IMO, to apply and remove, awh, but the result is nice :yes:

Hitting it again with some more sealant then wipping off is a good idea - the same thing I do when I have stubborn KSG to remove. Thanks for the mind joggler.

CalgaryDetail
02-25-2006, 01:41 PM
i find an easy way to get sealents and waxs off when there beings stuborn is to throw a mf in the dyrer for 10 min. It comes out warm, not hot and it takes the sealent right off, i have had no trouble with the paint as the mfis just warm to touch. Does a great job, well good luck

JeffW
02-25-2006, 02:28 PM
i find an easy way to get sealents and waxs off when there beings stuborn is to throw a mf in the dyrer for 10 min. It comes out warm, not hot and it takes the sealent right off, i have had no trouble with the paint as the mfis just warm to touch. Does a great job, well good luck

Hmmmm... very creative of you CalgaryDetail. I am about to apply another layer, so I`m sure this time tomorrow I`ll be taking you up on this.

CalgaryDetail
02-25-2006, 02:43 PM
i look forward to how you feel, and it it works for you. I swear by it. well good luck