PDA

View Full Version : Pledge spray. Ok for dashboard ?

Pages : [1] 2

pman626
08-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Pledge furniture spray

is it safe for dashboard top plastics? Last i read, pledge has some silicone in it. What kind of damage does silicone do exactly ?

my 2007 dashboard is getting a little dull, and i want to restore a little wee bit of sheen to it.

tom p.
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Pman, welcome aboard!

Do you believe Pledge spray is well-suited to the automotive interior ?

C. Charles Hahn
08-25-2011, 08:00 PM
They make automotive interior dressings and protectants for a reason. They`re not too expensive and readily available -- it`s always best to use the tool that is made for the job.

Darkstar752
08-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Get Meguiar`s Natural Shine Protectant instead.

imported_Larry A
08-25-2011, 08:55 PM
The stuff made for cars is the best to use. Pledge was used in the 60s because at the time thats all there was.Just like Clear Floor Wax was used on vinyl tops.

imported_DetailDan
08-25-2011, 09:04 PM
The commercial says so! Pledge Commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9XC9oUytPk)

b34tBoX
08-25-2011, 09:36 PM
That`s all I use is Pledge.

Trim/tire shine, spray detailer, window cleaner...Why bother hauling around multiple cans of stuff when Pledge does it all!

lostdaytomorrow
08-25-2011, 09:58 PM
I would advise against using Pledge for automotive uses, man. Stick with interior protectants that have UV protection like Aerospace 303.

bill57
08-25-2011, 10:50 PM
It works, won`t hurt anything, and smells good.

Nth Degree
08-25-2011, 11:38 PM
I`ll admit I have tried it on tires... leaves a nice matte finish. Someone at an auto show told me the trick. I tried it to experiment only. I certainly wouldn`t use it on a customers car. I just can`t bring myself to use it on any interior surface. I`ve seen the commercial and I`m sure it will make it look good when first applied. Remember that it is THEIR commercial with the goal of selling more product. There are proven products specifically for the purpose car interiors. Why take a chance finding out a year from now that it wasn`t a good idea? 303 Aerospace or even Meguiar`s from the local parts store.

jfelbab
08-26-2011, 07:46 AM
My niece uses Pledge on her interior and always complains that her windows are filmy. Pledge out-gasses a lot. If you like to constantly clean a greasy film off your glass go ahead. Another issue is that Pledge is too glossy for use on a dash. This causes intense glare at sunrise and sunset. Anything that obscures your vision is a bad thing. A product I use that offers UV protection and doesn`t cause glare is Meg`s Quik Interior Detailer. No outgassing and no glare. We have a winner.

wascallyrabbit
08-26-2011, 07:52 AM
just cause pledge say it can be doesn`t mean you should. they are trying to sell you something so of course you can use on your car. i wouldn`t use pledge. i don`t even own pledge and don`t really plan to.

tom p.
08-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Guys, I have good news for all those tempted to use Pledge in your car !! Straight from the mfr:

Easy Car Cleanup: 5 Simple Steps

Whether you`re returning from a car trip or planning one, try these 5 simple steps to help keep the interior of your car neat and tidy. :suspicious:

1.Remove everything! Before cleaning the interior of your car, remove all items. If you’ve just returned from a trip or if your car is especially cluttered, place the items in a big plastic bin to sort through later. Clear rubbish from the ashtrays and check underneath the seats for loose change, etc. Remove the floor mats and place them temporarily in a dry place (not on wet grass or on oily pavement).

2.Vacuum the floor. Using the long-handled attachment, vacuum the carpet, reaching under the seats, around the pedals and in the area between the front seats and the central console. Switching to a soft-brush attachment, vacuum the dashboard and doors, taking extra care not to damage knobs and vents. Use the same soft-brush attachment to vacuum the seats. (Leather seats are easily damaged, so avoid scratching them with the vacuum hose.) Outside the car, vacuum the floor mats you’ve removed, give them a good final shake and then return them to the car.

3.Shine windows. Inside and out, back to side to front, your windows have probably taken a beating from road travel. Reclaim a crystal-clear view by removing grime, dirt, fingerprint smudges and smashed bugs. Windex® Original Glass Wipes provide a quick and convenient way to get a streak-free shine. For best results, glass should not be in direct sunlight or hot to the touch. Keep a pack of Windex® Original Glass Wipes in your glove compartment for quick touchups.

4.Clean seats, door upholstery and dashboard. Keeping vinyl and leather car seats clean and conditioned protects them from cracking. First, brush off any loose dirt or crumbs and then spray on Pledge® Lemon Clean; then wipe gently with a soft, clean cloth. (For convenience, try Pledge® Wipes.) If you have cloth seats, use a steam cleaner (you can rent one from many hardware stores). If your ceiling is upholstered, start the steam cleaning there and move downward. Any family with kids or pets should invest in an upholstery brush to tackle stains and pet hair. (An old toothbrush can work well, but make sure any brush used on upholstery is soft.)

5.Refresh the air. Is the smell of too many greasy French fries lingering inside your car? Now’s the time to refresh the air and even introduce a new scent. Try a product from Glade® Tough Odor Solutions Collection.

I`m running out to buy this today so I can cover my dash and seats in a greasy film that attracts dust !! (:rolleyes:)

wascallyrabbit
08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
ya! maybe i`ll bump into at the store.

Lonnie
08-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Isn`t Pledge a silicone-based furniture polish? (Of coarse, what furniture spray polish is not!) Let`s put it this way: do you use toothpaste on your stove countertops because if it works on teeth, it MUSt be good for hard stove countertop? (OK, it DOES remove hard stains, but so does Comet!)

It may have been in vouge in the late 70`s, early 80`s, but today there are much better vinyl-specific car-care chemicals available, so why would you use something else?

I WAS an Armour-All user in the 80`s until I saw what it did to a white Truimph headliner (turned it brown), then switched to Megs, and now use Areospace 303 because of what I read on this forum.

I have tried the Meg`s Quik Interior Detailer, but I still like a little gloss to my vinyl (personal preference).