PDA

View Full Version : Possible Clay breaking down?

avg_joe
08-25-2011, 03:17 PM
I`ve used Griot`s clay many times over the last few years usually with several quick detail sprays as a lube.

This last time or two , I`ve switched to ONR as my lube, and noticed the clay gets really soft and sticks to the nitrile gloves.

The only way to I found to work with it is to roll it from the glove. Temp in the garage was in the upper 80`s.

Anyone notice this? Maybe my ONR mix is too strong?

Suggestions.... Thanks

Bill D
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I`m not sure how the Griot`s clay compares to the basic blue Clay Magic or the light cutting grade green Sonus clay, but I`ve always used either a basic car wash /water mix in a spray bottle as a lube --I bet Griot`s car wash ought to do fine-- orDP Rinseless Wash & Gloss mixed to the appropriate ratio. Sonus Glyde works well too,but not as economical.

If any one of these has no effect on the clay, then the ONR ratio may well need to be adjusted. What ratio of ONR are you using?

For the time being, I`d mix up some car wash and water in a spray bottle and see how the clay reacts with that. That ought to do fine.

StuLax18
08-25-2011, 06:31 PM
I use the GG/ONR setup also. Ive noticed it sticks to my hands alot(I don`t use gloves) but it`s always been like that. I`ve had the clay for 3-4 years now. Just got some CG blue clay so I might retire the GG soon. It`s now a dark yellow color.

Rei86
08-25-2011, 06:56 PM
I haven`t used GG clay but I have used ONR as Clay Lube and it sucked major ***. I`ve found that at the Clay Lube strength it was just to weak, but at full detail mix it was just right. I did however find any Clay + Goo be Gone = rapid breakdown.

lostdaytomorrow
08-26-2011, 09:37 AM
I use pinnacle clay and onr mixed very strong and it has worked great for me. Onr at clay lube strength isn`t slick enough for me so I make it pretty strong and its still cheap as heck.

SpoolinNoMore
08-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I just switched to GG clay this year and it has a certain tackiness to it. I`ve been using Meg`s Last Touch as my clay lube.

Scooby24
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
I`ve noticed the same problem with using FK 425 as a lube. The clay start to break down and becomes gritty.

Blackthornone
08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
I`ve used Griot`s clay many times over the last few years usually with several quick detail sprays as a lube.

This last time or two , I`ve switched to ONR as my lube, and noticed the clay gets really soft and sticks to the nitrile gloves.

The only way to I found to work with it is to roll it from the glove. Temp in the garage was in the upper 80`s.

Anyone notice this? Maybe my ONR mix is too strong?

Suggestions.... Thanks

I`ve always had this problem with Griot`s clay. I`ve used only Griot`s for over 10 years now. The hotter it gets, the gooier it gets. I have only used Speed Shine as a lube, and it`s all about the temperature. When it`s really cool, like in the mid 70`s (I`m in CA) it doesn`t get very sticky, but when it gets into the 80`s, it sticks to the gloves so much, everywhere the clay touches, it sticks to, and you have to roll it off. I`ve found that it helps to spray a little lube on the clay before you put it in your hands and use it, and do this periodically. This reduces sticking. However, the clay still gets really soft as you say, and you need to keep balling it up, because otherwise your fingers go right through it after a minute or two. It would be best to only use Griot`s in cool weather, I think. For this reason, I`m looking for a clay that doesn`t get super soft in warm weather. Anyone have suggestions?