PDA

View Full Version : Griots BHB safe for paint?

RCK
08-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Hi All,

I have a Griot`s BHB I bought probably ten years ago. Its still in great shape and I`m wondering if it`s safe to wash the body panels with or is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

Joe

Bill D
08-18-2011, 10:11 PM
I know Accumulator is a long time user of BHBs and he`s found them safe. I think the quality can vary from vendor to vendor and from batch to batch so it`s one if those things you have to test and see once you have it in hand and if it mars or is otherwise unsatisfactory, you`d have to return them.

In your case, just try on a test spot and carefully inspect for marring. If you do see some, use them on non painted areas of the car. I wouldn`t mind having BHBs for wheels and parts like mufflers and exhausts.

Darkstar752
08-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Should be good to go!

wascallyrabbit
08-19-2011, 07:17 AM
i used bhb on wheels and didn`t find them to have enough umph to remove the brake dust.

as suggest do the cd test using the wash media you plan to use on the car.

Accumulator
08-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Disclaimer: this is just IME and YMMV/things change all the time.

Griot`s BHBs of that vintage were OK (sadly, their current ones *ARE NOT*). But BHBs wear out- losing bristles is no biggie, but the bristles do wear and break. Once you no longer have the flagged bristle tips the BHB generally becomes a scratch machine.

I found out the hard way that you must periodically CD-test them (soak them in shampoo mix for a while first and use your normal degree of applied pressure when testing).

And yeah, "good" BHBs can be too gentle..they don`t hurt the finish, but they don`t always hurt the soiling either.

Brad B
08-19-2011, 04:25 PM
I agree with Accumulator and really want to doubly-emphasize the importance of the flagging. And of course technique is sooooo important with any brush.You want to use it as an agitator, not a scraper. You always pull the brush bristles, never stick or stab. And better brushes have more bristles per inch, too. The more the better because not only does it do a better job catching the dirt, but it allows you to use less pressure.