PDA

View Full Version : AUTO MATICS Big Lot Towels

Pages : [1] 2

duke4ever
08-17-2011, 10:10 PM
I bought a bag of cheap towels from big lots, 12 microfibers for $5. I figured I`d use them for the inside of the car. However I gave them the CD test and it did not scratch at all; it left some lint but didn`t scratch. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same results with these towels?

Thanks!

wascallyrabbit
08-18-2011, 08:00 AM
haven`t seen any mf in the big lots here. rarely ever see any auto car stuff there.

no experience with the towels your asking about. did you wash them before the cd test? thats the same price as the costco yellow towels just lesser quantity.

lostdaytomorrow
08-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Towels are one of those things that you just need to try the more expensive options in order to see why the cheap ones are so cheap. They. Might work without marring once or twice or they might destroy your paint condition after one use, all depends on how soft the paint is or how bad or good the towel is. I hope the cheaper options work but try the expensive choices as well

Lonnie
08-18-2011, 08:39 AM
"Cheap" microfiber towels can ruin alot of hard work that you put into a prepping a car. Why risk it?

If you are spending the time in trying to make your car look great, you should spend the money in buying quality microfiber towels.

That said, I think Scottwax does sometimes use the Vroom -brand towels from Target. And as stated above, WASH THE TOWELS BEFORE YOU USE THEM!..

Accumulator`s suggestion of the "CD Wipe Test" is a good one to test any towel you might want to use on your vehicle`s paint.

Also, towels don`t last forever. Good towels, when properly cared for, will work for a while, but after several washes, they do loose their "grabbing" chraracteristics.

Lastly, a common sense suggestion: If you drop a towel on the ground, use a different one. Lesser detailers (AKA "hacks") will pick them up, shake them out, and continue using them. Not a good idea. That grabby nap picks up dirt and debris that shaking and sometimes washing will not cause to come out and then gets transferred as swirls into the surface you are wiping.

Dan
08-18-2011, 09:13 AM
I think there is a happy medium somewhere between cheap towels and the ridiculously expensive ones. For me that is the Pro-force from Sam`s. They do not mar paint on any car I own or clean. They are cheap enough that I have plenty of them and don`t worry about grabbing another one or throwing one away that has hit the ground. I just can`t see paying $5-10 per towel. The only way I`d do that is if I had some crazy paint like BMW black.

Towels get old, towels get stained, crap happens. I don`t want to feel guilty or spend hours cleaning towels.

Allen Anderson
08-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I agree 5-10 dollars a towel is rediculous. There is no reason any towel should cost that much in my opinion the manufacturing process can`t be that much more expensive. Those prices are just taking advantage of people that have to have the "best" stuff in my opinion.

SpoolinNoMore
08-18-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree 5-10 dollars a towel is rediculous. There is no reason any towel should cost that much in my opinion the manufacturing process can`t be that much more expensive. Those prices are just taking advantage of people that have to have the "best" stuff in my opinion.

That was my thought until I purchased some of the pricey MF`s from AG. I just got sick of finding crap MF`s everywhere I shopped so I just went all out. Then again, I nerd out a bit when it comes to getting accessories/hardware like this that I could justify that it may save me time down the road.

Darkstar752
08-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I think there is a happy medium somewhere between cheap towels and the ridiculously expensive ones. For me that is the Pro-force from Sam`s. They do not mar paint on any car I own or clean. They are cheap enough that I have plenty of them and don`t worry about grabbing another one or throwing one away that has hit the ground. I just can`t see paying $5-10 per towel. The only way I`d do that is if I had some crazy paint like BMW black.

Towels get old, towels get stained, crap happens. I don`t want to feel guilty or spend hours cleaning towels.

I use these too, but they don`t touch the paint after polishing. That`s where the expensive ones come in. 12 dollar for 24 towels is awesome though, don`t feel bad about using them up anymore.

Allen Anderson
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Spoolin I`m not doubting that they are better to an extent. What I`m saying is there is no way they should be 12 to 24 times the cost. 40 cents a towel to 5-10 dollars a towel is a big leap in price absurd in my opinion.

SpoolinNoMore
08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
It is a huge leap that I put off taking for a while, but it was one of those things I told myself to keep an open mind about and was happy with it. Plus, I think it`s the fact that knowing how expensive it is to replace my nicer MF towels is why they stay pampered and in good condition. If I had the same quality towel but only paid $5 for a pack of them, they`d definitely get trashed much faster. The one MF I would say is much worth paying the extra for would be your WW drying cloths, my Meguiars WW became slightly stiff and definitely would mar after 3-4 washes.

On a side note, I`m pretty sure there`s only 2 places that make the expensive MF cloth because they all look the same blue/purple/gold/green colors.

Allen Anderson
08-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I wonder how anyone ever got a show car finish with cotton terry towels before microfibers were on the market.

TedFred
08-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I was one of those guys that had the cotton towels and I will say that the mocrofiber are a lot easier to use. I am also one of those guys that use the Costco yellow towels and have never had a problem with them. I am sure that I am not as picky as some. If you are a pro detailer I am sure that you are not using $10 towels on $200 details... there goes the profit margin

wascallyrabbit
08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
i have towels for costco, pakshak, ag and there is a difference between the costco and other better towels. the costco are cheap and work but don`t last as long. i only buy the ag and pakshak when they go on sale. ag sometimes puts towels on bogo.

SpoolinNoMore
08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
I wonder how anyone ever got a show car finish with cotton terry towels before microfibers were on the market.

It`s like "how did we travel across the world before trains planes and automobiles". Sure we could use ships and horses, but technology makes things easier. Automotive paint has changed significantly over the years (clear coat hasn`t always been around!) and people have gotten marring from the safest methods of washing on some paints. It all comes down to justifying it to yourself. I`m usually very thrifty with my money, but when it comes down to wiping myself with tree leaves or 3-ply, I`ll opt for 3-ply because it`s faster and safer ;).

With all that being said, I wish I had known about pakshak and other reputable MF dealers before. I have yet to hear a bad review about their products yet and they`re very reasonably priced (compared to what I`ve spent on MFs before). Oh well, I`ve had far more expensive "learning experiences" in the past :).

duke4ever
08-18-2011, 04:44 PM
I have some nice towels, Cobra, Griot`s towels. But there are a lot of times you just want a cheap MF for certain things especially interior stuff. There are times your MF are just going to get crapped on and beat to hell and you don`t want your expensive towels for that stuff. The nice towels IMO are for buffing of sealants, wax etc... and drying. I know the difference between an expensive towel and a cheap towel; I just see that there`s room for both in your detailing arsenal.